What are your favorite picks?

• Thread starter 07adams88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel13

Reaction score
bass: green tortex (can't remember if they're color coded) the thickest one
guitar: jazz III basically for the last 7 or 8 years and still have all 6
bass VI: carbon fiber jazz III
acoustic: some random thin pick

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
Electric: Ibanez Paul Gilbert Signature. Not cheap, difficult to find here in Europe (if you don't order them online) but pretty much the only picks I can use. They fit perfectly my playing style, which is not even close to Gilbert's style BTW.

Acoustic: very thin Jim Dunlop, I think they are .53 or so. You can basically see through them.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
bass: green tortex (can't remember if they're color coded) the thickest one
guitar: jazz III basically for the last 7 or 8 years and still have all 6
bass VI: carbon fiber jazz III
acoustic: some random thin pick

For acoustic I'd definitely recommend you try a thin metal pick, or a .73 ultex. It makes my acoustic sound so much better and more brilliant than using, say, a tortex or a nylon pick.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I've used the big purple 1.14 triangles by dunlop but lately i've been realy getting into the 1.14 tortex sharp picks and the orange Jazz III XL's

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
You guys use some thick-ass picks :lol: I switch between the ultex and tortex .73 mm dunlops and the .60 normal or sharp-tip orange tortex ones. I find that anything heavier makes my tone unnecessarily muddy. Tried the red Jazz IIIs for about six months and didn't like them much.

Chemical-Pony

Reaction score

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
My favorite cannot be mentioned by name as the mods have said the company/manufacturer operates shadily. That being said, I'll probably go to Windspear next since they're the only ones I've seen that makes things like this.

plectrum.jpg

gorthul

Reaction score
Well, my vote also goes to Winspear. I simply have the best precision and feel with them. I am currently using a Sandstorm Shiv IV. My only gripe with them is that I have not the perfect grip on them, when I'm doing alternate picking they fall out of my hand after some time.
BTW, has anyone compared the Icegrip picks to the Sandstorm picks? Which did you prefer?

metaldoggie

Pro smeghead
Reaction score
I've tried a bunch including Gravity, V picks and Shark picks lately.......just keep going back to 1.3 Dunlop Delrin 500 standard

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Jazz III. There are different kinds of those too, I prefer the small red Max-Grip -ones. Ibanez Grip Wizard picks are pretty similar actually, but they wear out faster and they're easier to loose (black or white vs. red). Black picks are the worst in general though, you put them ontop of your amp and you never find them again :D

Another good thing about the Jazz III's is that every music store has them, so you don't have to worry too much about loosing them :) When I used those GripWizard picks, I always had to order those online because the local stores never had them. Once, they even said "yeah, we just received a shipment of those yesterday but they already sold out..."... Turns out they'd received 2 of those picks along with some Ibanez guitars they'd ordered :D That day, I decided "fvck it, I'm buying some different picks instead" and grabbed a few Jazz III's since I'd read that Ben, the guitarist of Amoral, uses those...

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I used to be all about the 3mm Jazz Stubby picks, now I've converted to Jazz III's. They just play so much easier, its like there's nothing between you and the string. That being said, if anyone has suggestions for picks that are similar to Jazz III's but have a better grip factor, please let me know. The Jazz III's are great, but I have very sweaty hands and have to re-grip my pick sometimes multiple times per-song. That does not bode well for playing shows.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
There have been a number of threads like this, but I've started using different picks since the last time I saw one, so...:D

I used the 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex Sharp picks for about two years, but in the last few months I've been using the .88mm version. It's a nice balance of stiffness and clear, aggressive attack :yesway: great for rhythm and shredding alike.

Kashmir

Reaction score
Winspear Picks. Hands down. Manufactured (or handcrafted if you wanna be fancy) and sold by an SSO member (EtherealEntity).

I've never played any other picks that are constructed the same way - they taper down to the tip in a kind of a wedge shape, and they sit really nicely in your hand. You get the benefits of a thick pick in the leverage, and the precision and accuracy of a thin pointy pick.

Plus they last forever.

Aside from that, Tortex jazz III-size picks. .8-1mm.

I use the V-pick Venoms but even those I burn through rather quickly. I'm going to give these picks a shot! Not only do they look awesome but it's made by a fellow member of SSO

Kobalt

Reaction score
How big are they? I love a slightly oversized Jazz III picks (PW Black Ice, Ibanez Paul Guilbert Sig.), so if they are like that, I might want to try 'em out.
I think they would most likely be larger than those. The T3's are basically standard size Tortex with a Jazz III tip shape.

Latest posts

')