What are your favorite picks?

• Thread starter 07adams88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Dunlop red Jazz III XL's. Pretty much perfect for me.

Going to try some Winspear picks when I feel like dropping that much cash on picks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
I have tried to the Jazz III's but they feel too small for me...
...Out of curiosity, are the Jazz's good for heavy rhythm, or just weedily weedily leads?
Try Planet Waves Black Ice or Ibanez Paul Gilbert Signature picks. Both are slightly oversized Jazz shape, which is perfect for me. I prefer Black Ice though, because Paul Gilbert picks have a very slippery surface. I use them for both rhythm and lead.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Try Planet Waves Black Ice or Ibanez Paul Gilbert Signature picks. Both are slightly oversized Jazz shape, which is perfect for me. I prefer Black Ice though, because Paul Gilbert picks have a very slippery surface. I use them for both rhythm and lead.

The Black Ice are better. Didn't care for the Ibanez picks if I remember right.

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
I've been using the 1.14mm Tortex Sharp since I discovered them. I used to always sharpen the tip of Tortexs or Gator Grips until I discovered these. Couldn't be happier.

Schectersilence

Reaction score
Winspear for me! My playing has improved a lot so far. Im thinking I could actually go thicker (I'm on the biggest thickest Battleaxe so I may email him to see what he can do).

But yeah, these are the BOMB. So good for heavy rhythm and smooth leads.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
Oh, I have realised I just sharpen up the tips on my tortex 1.0's picks anyway, so effectively they are the same tip as Jazz III XL's. Not a fan of the rounded tips, like many here I prefer the sharp attack from a sharp pick.

Jazz III (the normal small ones) are crazy tiny, just don't fit in my fingers.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
SINCE september switch Jazz III to the dunlop orange gilbert pick 60mm.
Why? Don t know...but Paul knows. :) This pick, once you use it correctly is fast very fast punchy and clear as hell. These can live 1hour then it s done...the pick is unusable...shredded pick like an alternate picking mofo

Reaction score
I have yet to see this on here yet.

I have grown rather fond of these star grip picks but it is something I often overlook. I know there is a huge selection out there and I was thinking about trying some new picks out. What are some of your favorites?

THIS

JohnPetrucciJazzIII-11.png

chopeth

Reaction score
Oh man how can you manage this one?...I have tried it for weeks back in the days and it fell off all the time. This pic and sweaty fingers are a total nightmare on stage.

It's perfect for me too, save it wears out faster than regular jazz IIIs

Reaction score
Oh man how can you manage this one?...I have tried it for weeks back in the days and it fell off all the time. This pic and sweaty fingers are a total nightmare on stage.

maintain my hands from not producing a lot of sweat...though maybe very sweaty hands might not grip this....

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
Oh, I have realised I just sharpen up the tips on my tortex 1.0's picks anyway, so effectively they are the same tip as Jazz III XL's. Not a fan of the rounded tips, like many here I prefer the sharp attack from a sharp pick.

Jazz III (the normal small ones) are crazy tiny, just don't fit in my fingers.
Try the Tortex Sharps if you like a pointy pick. They're awesome IMO.

')