What are your favorite picks?

• Thread starter 07adams88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
Currently using 3mm Sunrise Mini picks, from Gravity Picks!

Been loving the hell out of them, though I might try those Winspear picks and see how it fares!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gogolXmogol

Reaction score
Very nice and grippy picks!

il_340x270.606507114_a34e.jpg

Datura

Reaction score
Winspear icegrip longsword V. I bought it as a novelty as I usually dislike thick picks and use dunlop nylon .60s, but i instantly loved it.

Chemical-Pony

Reaction score
How big are they? I love a slightly oversized Jazz III picks (PW Black Ice, Ibanez Paul Guilbert Sig.), so if they are like that, I might want to try 'em out.

Same size as the regular shaped picks but with a sharper tip and decent grip. Really nice. Not as extreme as the tortex sharp. I couldn't get on with those.

These are also worth considering if you like a thick, jazzy pick in a larger size.

Dunlop Manufacturing :: Guitar Picks :: :: JD Jazztones

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
I use carbon fiber max grip jazz 3s mainly. I just got a pack of the regular nylon "stiffo" jazz 3s because they were cheaper and I noticed that the CF ones are stiffer and more to my liking.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
PKPC-1.50_sm_.jpg

Cool Picks Phat Cat 1.5 mm

Been using them for years and never had one break, chip, wear out, etc. I just keep losing them in the wash. Prior to that, I used the black Jazz IIIs. I like the Phat Cats because they are a little bit wider and grip a little better than the Jazz IIIs and last at least just as long. I've also tried the Ultra Cool composite picks, and although they give a bright clear tone, they don't last as long for me, and I hate that limbo between realizing something isn't quite right and grabbing a new pick.

fogcutter

Reaction score
There are some cool recommendations in this thread which I am looking forward to trying.

I'm another disciple of the Tortex Jazz III. Sometimes maybe the Ultex Jazz III, but they run a little thick for my tastes.

porknchili

G.A.S.ITIS
Reaction score
Dunlop Tortex Sharps: White 1.5mm and black 1.35mm. Bought like 2 dozen of each like 6 or 7 years ago and I still haven't even had to change half of them yet.

SeditiousDissent

i drove bus
Reaction score
I use Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black Jazz picks in 1.14mm. I wanted to like the Ultex Jazz III, but they were just a little too thick (1.35mm, I think).

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
jazz III ultex, they simply sound and feel much better than their red or black counterparts. More grind and none of that glide stuff, I can feel the strings better which makes my playing more dynamic. I also feel they have more high mids. To me they sound more open and less plastic.

You can hear the ultex sound pretty well in this video:

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
For practice, 90% of the time 3mm Big Stubby and 2mm Gator Grips (I score these with a knife to help grip) - my favorites though are Gravity Picks Stealths in 3 and 4mm's and V-Picks' Screamers 3mm

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I've tried and tried again to stray from Big Stubby 2mm, but I always come back. I hate them because they wear down within like, a day (despite that the 3mm lasts a million years). But honestly they're the best picks. I've tried jazz iii, and I've gone and bought fancy V-picks (and I did like them very much before losing them within 2 weeks), thinner 1mm plain ol' plastic picks, tortex, nylon, you name it.

Big Stubby 2mm. It's the pick. I just wish they could make them out of a more durable material. But then again, there's a hidden the beauty to it-- whenever you lose one/can't find one, just grab a new one!

For how fast they go to shit they oughtta be cheaper imo

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Brass Teckpicks have used em for so long now they are the best for me personally

iqbousoysq8blsoopmca.jpg

PiggySmallz

Reaction score
Dava Delrin and Nylon Jazz Grips. I've been using these for years now and haven't looked back

jazz_grips.jpg

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Tortex .88. Oldschool :p

I do wear them pretty fast even using all the renewing tricks so I'm also partial to the Dunlop Nylons which last forever.

I have a Dunlop Nylon from when I first started playing and it's still fine.

But I use the 1.14mm Blackfangs

3566_Black_Fang_Hetfield_1.14mm_6-Pack_Picks_PH112P114_a.jpg

DXL

Reaction score
I love these picks that my local guitar store sells. I'm not sure of the brand of them but they're blue and like jazz pick shaped except they're larger and they have grips. I'm pretty sure they're 1.0 mm and they have a C printed on them.

')