what are your rankings for the fishman pickups voicings

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
so kinda a contiuation to my last post about the kiesel ct6, i emailed kiesel said theyll get me pickups and repalce them for free if theyre fishman, since they work with them. so what are you guys rankings for each fishman pickups voicing

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kiesel only uses the Moderns. The McRocklin custom set is only for his sig model. So any other Fishman you'd have to provide the pick up as I've never seen them use offer any other sets on their side. But as a ranking over all here's my favorites.
1. Willie Adler Voice 1/ Ryan "Fluff" Bruce Voice 2 - this is the same voice. It's Wllie's signature tone, Fluff asked if he could use it for voice 2 on his pick up and Willie said ok.
2. Fluff's voice 1
3. Fishman Classic Voice 2
4. Tosin Abasi Voice 1

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Classic Set Voice 1
Single Width Set Voice 1
Abasi Set Voice 3

The Classics are still the best sounding Fluences I've experienced. You may want to wait a bit though. Phillip McKnight stated on his most recent podcast that he has a set of new Fluence pickups he can't really talk about yet for a review. I also remember Ben Eller having a secret set of Fluences he was testing kind of recently and there are those pics of the 7 and 8 string Abasi guitars with what look to be Fluence singles in them.

I'd expect official info on any of these next month for NAMM if they are going to be released.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
bridge:
steph v2 (for chugs/caveman riffage)
Modern v1 (all around usage)
Modern v2
classic v1
classic v2
Keith merrow v1
Keith Merrow v2

neck:
all of them are shit except for modern v1 lol

YMMV (a lot). I've had the moderns and classics in the same baritone guitar and the classics were disgustingly bright comparatively. I also hated the classic voicings in that guitar. To be fair I wasn't a huge fan of the moderns in that particular guitar, but they were a better fit for what I was doing (Conan/Khemmis esque sludge/doom).
When I had moderns in my Schecter Balsac E-1 they were great sounding and did old school thrash/hair metal stuff exceedingly well. The neck pickup was excellent for lead work in V1. I'll say that the modern split sounds are basically useless though.
The KM set is a tweaked classic set and didn't really bring enough to the table to be interesting tbh.
The steph v2 was tons of fun. It was like a super charged version of the modern. It's by far the chuggiest option I've tried and it's perfect for caveman riffage. I tried it in one of the purple single hum LTD SC7s or whatever they're called.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
bridge:
Modern v2
classic v1
classic v2
Keith merrow v1
Keith Merrow v2

neck:

YMMV (a lot). I've had the moderns and classics in the same guitar and the classics were disgustingly bright comparatively. I also hated the voicings in that guitar. To be fair I wasn't a huge fan of the moderns in that particular guitar. When I had moderns in my Schecter Balsac E-1 they were great sounding and did old school thrash/hair metal stuff exceedingly well.
The KM set is a tweaked classic set and didn't really bring enough to the table to be interesting tbh.

The steph v2 was tons of fun. It was like a super charged version of the modern. It's by far the chuggiest option I've tried and it's perfect for caveman riffage. I tried it in one of the purple single hum LTD SC7s or whatever they're called.
Heard modern v2 is between a duncan distortion and l500xl, is that True?

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Heard modern v2 is between a duncan distortion and l500xl, is that True?
ehh it's been a while since I've used one but from what i remember it was thicker and slightly murkier than v1. It didn't feel that close to either of those pickups ime. The L500XL is a pretty clear high output pickup that feels pretty balanced overall ime. The distortion is hairier and nastier in the high end. I'd say more like a JB in terms of duncans. It had the fatter low end and overall murkiness that really shows up in lower tunings.

elkoki

Reaction score
bridge:
Modern v2
classic v1
classic v2
Keith merrow v1
Keith Merrow v2

neck:

YMMV (a lot). I've had the moderns and classics in the same baritone guitar and the classics were disgustingly bright comparatively. I also hated the classic voicings in that guitar. To be fair I wasn't a huge fan of the moderns in that particular guitar, but they were a better fit for what I was doing (Conan/Khemmis esque sludge/doom).
When I had moderns in my Schecter Balsac E-1 they were great sounding and did old school thrash/hair metal stuff exceedingly well. The neck pickup was excellent for lead work in V1. I'll say that the modern split sounds are basically useless though.
Did you ever try the Tosin Abasi's?

elkoki

Reaction score
Kiesel only uses the Moderns. The McRocklin custom set is only for his sig model. So any other Fishman you'd have to provide the pick up as I've never seen them use offer any other sets on their side. But as a ranking over all here's my favorites.
1. Willie Adler Voice 1/ Ryan "Fluff" Bruce Voice 2 - this is the same voice. It's Wllie's signature tone, Fluff asked if he could use it for voice 2 on his pick up and Willie said ok.
2. Fluff's voice 1
3. Fishman Classic Voice 2
4. Tosin Abasi Voice 1
Is the Will Adler voice 1 with the pot pushed in? Because I had that set and loved voice 2 a lot more, more low end and less compressed.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is the Will Adler voice 1 with the pot pushed in? Because I had that set and loved voice 2 a lot more, more low end and less compressed.
I would have putten a set of will adler in one of my guitars if they had more color options the current one only looks good in a black guitar with nickel or sanded gold hardware

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Voice 2 is when you pull the pot, its supposedly based on the modern's voice 1 with more low end

elkoki

Reaction score
I would have putten a set of will adler in one of my guitars if they had more color options the current one only looks good in a black guitar with nickel or sanded gold hardware
It can work on other finishes too I had them in a sunburst type finish and it worked . I’ve seen some guy sand the gold off them the result looked like a brushed nickel

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It can work on other finishes too I had them in a sunburst type finish and it worked . I’ve seen some guy sand the gold off them the result looked like a brushed nickel
Well this guitar is blue and green bursti dont know what to call it like blue with a green burst isnide of it

cmpxchg

Reaction score
bridge:

Javier Reyes voice 1
Modern voice 2
JR voice 2
Modern v1 with 6db cut
Modern v1 without 6db cut

neck:

JR voice 1
JR voice 2
modern voice 1
modern voice 2

This was in an ash Mayones in D standard or E standard. I tried so hard to like the Moderns in that guitar, but man, they were just not the right fit (either for the guitar or for me). JRs are good enough that I'm not tempted every time I play it to rip out the pickups and replace with passives.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
bridge:

Javier Reyes voice 1
Modern voice 2
JR voice 2
Modern v1 with 6db cut
Modern v1 without 6db cut

neck:

JR voice 1
JR voice 2
modern voice 1
modern voice 2

This was in an ash Mayones in D standard or E standard. I tried so hard to like the Moderns in that guitar, but man, they were just not the right fit (either for the guitar or for me). JRs are good enough that I'm not tempted every time I play it to rip out the pickups and replace with passives.
nah ive tried moderns before they fit better in darker woods like mahogany and rosewood

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the Covered Classic V1, before they switched to the Open Core Series. I'm not sure if they made any adjustments to the EQ, but the Open Core Series sounds even brighter than the standard Classic set.

Modern V2 is basically like V1 with less output, more mids, and more bass. It sounds more natural and balanced, but still has a that active "plasticky" sound to it. I also found an annoying ringing harmonic on the Modern set that I could not get rid of. Would not recommend.

The Abasi's may be the most versatile, with the passive voice (V2?) sounding very balance (albeit a bit on the "darker side"), with the active voice being significantly hotter and brighter.

Ultimately, I never found a set with two voices I really loved. I always felt like there was a compromise in each voice offered.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I've finally got some Fishmans after years of avoiding actives entirely, and... I get it. For high gain riffing the Moderns have something going on in the low-mid mids that is very satisfying, coming from mostly BKPs that tend to have quite a high resonant peak.

However, I play clean a lot lately and the cleans on both bridge and neck, in either voicing with or without coil tap, seem very balls. Totally dull, no chime or sparkle. Is this a known thing? I don't seem to have heard that about them, but I haven't been paying attention either.

I've got some custom Silos ready to go in it but am digging the Fishman bridge for br00tz enough that I'll probably relegate this new guitar to riff machine only for a while.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
So I've finally got some Fishmans after years of avoiding actives entirely, and... I get it. For high gain riffing the Moderns have something going on in the low-mid mids that is very satisfying, coming from mostly BKPs that tend to have quite a high resonant peak.

However, I play clean a lot lately and the cleans on both bridge and neck, in either voicing with or without coil tap, seem very balls. Totally dull, no chime or sparkle. Is this a known thing? I don't seem to have heard that about them, but I haven't been paying attention either.

I've got some custom Silos ready to go in it but am digging the Fishman bridge for br00tz enough that I'll probably relegate this new guitar to riff machine only for a while.
The Modern neck pickup is pretty "meh" for cleans unless you get a variant with the ability to use Voice 3 and split the coils. Try a KM/Classic neck. Those will be more in the realm of what you're used to with most passive humbuckers.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I tend to like the passive Voice on the Fluence pups I have. Most Fluence voices have this cocked wah thing going on and these are the only ones in my experience that don't have that. I rank them based on my most-used guitar and voice option bridge pickup only.

1. Moderns Ceramic Voice 2- Lots of bass and mids are in the right spot. Always found V1 to be a bit much and the mids/high mids eq to be a constant source of ear fatigue. V2 just sounds more even with more frequencies available.

2. Tosin V2 - V1 in the Tosin is much improved compared to V1 moderns. But I gravitate more towards V2 since the low mids and mids are better eq'd. Not as much bass as modern V2 but still plenty.

3. Devin V1- The only active voice that I liked. It's warm, had a lot of body, enough treble to cut through but none of the cocked wah sound.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
My Fishmans have more than one setting? Neat. Also....

nerds-revenge.gif