What band or musician got you into guitar?

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Watching Gavin Rossdale play Glycerine live in the rain made me want to play guitar to meet ladies when I was like 14. Tool made me want to play guitar because I couldn't imagine doing anything but making music after discovering them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
Green Day made me want to play music then my dad paid me back with a Kramer for some money he borrowed, that made me play guitar.

Reaction score
System of a Down was that band for me. Aerials was the first song I taught myself how to play. From then on, I wanted more and more. I've since turned to the prog side of the force, but SOAD will always be my first favorite band, and the band that changed my life forever.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
Van Halen and Metallica made me want to pick up a guitar, but when I was finally ready to actually learn how to play it, Pennywise and Blink 182.

Chiba666

Reaction score
Initially it would have been Maiden and Metallica but that was more because I thouhgt it would be cool to play, didnt get very far.

Jacked it in and started again about 8 years ago, mostly down to In Flames, At the Gates, Arch Enemy, Bodom and rediscovering my love for Bolt Thrower and Carcass, the rest they say is Palm Mute history and a legacy of empty bank accounts.

Rosal76

Reaction score
Megadeth, Metallica and Slayer.

Oddly enough, all 3 (also my first 3 favorites) songs that made me want to play guitar from those 3 bands are about war. :spock:

Megadeth - Holy wars...the punishment due
Metallica - One
Slayer - War ensemble

oracles

Reaction score
Megadeth and Iron Maiden. My dad would play Rust In Peace and Piece Of Mind throughout the house when I was a kid, and listening to Mustaine, Friedman, Murray and Smith, I knew I wanted to be able to play like that. After that, the band that got me into the really heavy stuff was Decapitated.

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
Definitely a combination of James Hetfield and Alex Lifeson.
Discovered Metallica through Guitar Hero (yes, I'm young) around the same time I found my mom's old Moving Pictures album, and from then on I knew guitar was something I wanted to get into.

InHiding

Reaction score
Bathory (especially the song Twilight of the Gods)

Reactions: X1X

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
For me, that distinction would have to go to Metallica...James's playing that is...i still love his rhythm playing ..Although i started out as a drummer and they influenced me on that front as well...then bands like Megadeth and Testament made me want me to play BETTER guitar lol.

UncurableZero

Reaction score
Definitely Megadeth. I was 14 years old and fascinated with everything pre-1999.
Hell, I learned the first half of Holy Wars on my shitty acoustic with a 5-6mm string action on it :nuts:

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
For me it was seeing the video for Nirvana's "In bloom" as it got me into guitar but also got me into rock music in general because up until that point the only rock music I heard on tv/radio was stuff like Bryan Adams so seeing Nirvana was a revelation cause it made me realise that rock music could be so much more than cheesy love songs about Robin Hood.

DrZoidberg

Reaction score
The Human Abstract, specifically Mea Culpa and Vela.

')