What band or musician got you into guitar?

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I feel weird saying that the songs from the good ol' game "DOOM" are the reason I got into guitar. E1M1, E1M8, E2M1, E3M1, E3M3 are all memorable to me. Some of which are based on legit songs. (E3M1 being mouth for war by Pantera, and E3M3 is Behind the Crooked Cross by Slayer.)

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Probably the first metal song I ever heard in my life. The "Kill 'em All/Ride the Lightning medoly on a crappy cassette single in 1996 or '97. I was dead set on playing guitar after that lol

zakatak9389

Reaction score
Vai in crossroads, Shit blew my mind when I saw the head cuttin duel. Funtwo's cover of canon rock also really got me stoked to start learning guitar haha.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
KISS/Ace Frehley

But Eric Avery and Dee Dee Ramone got me into bass playing...

lawizeg

Reaction score
Yellowcard - One Year, Six Months at around 12. I was air-guitaring to it and decided I really wanted an acoustic to learn it.

Earlier (like young child) I had always wanted to play electric but I was told no...

Dayn

Reaction score

Sonic music has the best bass in existence. Yes, 16-bit synthesised music made me pick up a guitar. I've been listening to it for two decades.

Sonic 1 had a bass in drop G# before it was cool.

Reaction score
I got interested in guitar after my dad bombarded me with lots of Metallica, Alice in Chains, Pantera, and Soundgarden in the early to mid 90s. And some of those albums are still my favorites today...

Metallica's "Black Album"
Alice in Chains- Dirt
Pantera- Vulgar Display of Power
Soundgarden- Superunknown

SeaBeast

Reaction score
Korn, no question. I remember my first 7 string guitar was some crappy Washburn 7 stringer but it worked. I would sit and play all the cool riffs on the S/T album. Some of my favorite songs to play even nowadays.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
nirvana. first band I ever heard outside of the church music I grew up on.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is one of the greatest songs! Wish I could go back in time and hear it again for the first time (and see the video too).

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
Apparently I would dance and kick to "Sweet Child O' Mine" while I was in the womb...so maybe that? :lol:

Was always listening to my dad's music as a kid. He had good taste: Allman Brothers, Jerry Cantrell, Wishbone Ash, Deep Purple, and others I'm forgetting.

My own first "favorite band" was U2. From there, System of a Down/Godsmack, to Metallica/Alice in Chains (AiC replaced Godsmack :lol:), to Slayer/Dragonforce, to Nile. By then I was hooked on teh br00tz. Mastodon got me into "progressive" metal (as my username reveals :metal:).

Reaction score
Nirvana tool greenday ratm, bush those were the covers I started out on anyway. But kurt literally made me want to play and do nothing else but play and scream. To this day I'm still the same way. I cant see me doing anything else.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
When I first heard metal, I knew it was time to drop piano & brass. The first stuff I heard was Wasp, Quiet Riot & Accept.

Guitar started with Poison :scratch:, all those crazy BC Riches C.C used grabbed my attention but once I heard Iron Maiden, that was it. Adrian Smith is mostly responsible for my love of guitar although there are many who influence/inspire me.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
KISS/Ace Frehley

But Eric Avery and Dee Dee Ramone got me into bass playing...

Eric Avery's playing on those Jane's albums was fantastic... simple with fantastic presence.

')