What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread like this here so I figured I'd start one now!

So now that live shows are more or less back, what bands did you see live recently? How was it? Did they play tight / was their sound any good / how did they interact with the crowd / how was the venue / etc ?

Also, what shows have you bought tickets to or just planning on attending?

Personally I'm waiting for Bloodbound, who are a Swedish power metal band. They were supposed to play in Helsinki last autumn, but they postponed the show by a full year. They said it was due to covid, but I'm pretty sure they just didn't sell enough tickets (maybe because people were still too afraid of covid). Anyway, this time they've announced supporting bands and schedules and all that, so it definitely looks like it's happening this time. I just don't know how popular they actually are over here, so it might be just me and my friend + a few local drunks at the show... But then again, that's what we thought about Gloryhammer a few years ago and were pleasantly surprised to see a whole bunch of other people in their shirts shouting "hoots! hoots! hoots!" with us :lol:

Then there's Nordic Metal Cruise which we've been attending every year since the concept was launched. Last year and this year it was moved from February to November because of covid, but I assume it'll return to February next year again.
It's basically a 24h boat cruise with a few metal bands playing. Last time was Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Verikalpa and Swallow the Sun. The cruise ship isn't optimal in terms of sound - the first time was actually pretty bad, as guitars were barely audible. They managed to fix that somehow for the next time though, and sound has been decent since.
This year's bands are Ihsahn, Leprous, Assemble the Chariots and Ember Falls. Not really a fan of any of the bands, but it doesn't cost much more than a normal boat cruise so I'm happy to just get drunk on a boat full of other metalheads.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Does it count that I am still waiting after 3.5 years to see Ozzy?
Apparently the tickets are still valid and re-re-re-re-re-re-re-rescheduled dates are pending......

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Recent:

1. Meshuggah at the Royal Albert Hall, start of June. Absolutely faultless. Great set, great venue, great seats, great sound. Opening band, Zeal & Ardor, we're abysmal.

2. Steve Vai at the Palladium, start of June. It's Steve Vai so the show was fun. Sound was a bit lost at points, like just couldn't hear Dave on Dying Day. Set was good but could have been better.

3. Sungazer at Colours, middle of June. Perfect. Great set, great show, great crowd, lots of fun and even more notes.

4. Jacob Collier at the o2 Brixton, middle of June. Pretty bad honestly. Sound wasn't great, songs didn't translate live and the set was poor too begin with, still in his "I'm the greatest ever and therefore all my choices are good choices" phase. Crowd was full of inconsiderate idiots, give me a metal crowd any day.

Upcoming:

1. Sungazer in November at the Jazz Cafe. Very excited to see them again, hoping to not have a migraine this time.

2. Haken in London from February is apparently to be rescheduled, but we'll see.

Missed:

Carly Rae Jepsen at Somerset House in July. My brother went but I couldn't make it for other commitments. Apparently it was really good all over and she played a bunch of my favourite songs. Also Bobby Wooten plays bass for her at the moment, and he's a cool guy.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Apparently the tickets are still valid and re-re-re-re-re-re-re-rescheduled dates are pending......

Damn, that sucks.

I had a similar situation a while ago. I bought my wife tickets to Sunrise Avenue's farewell show for xmas 2019, and the show was supposed to be in the summer of 2020. Well, you know what happened instead, so the show got postponed by a full year and then the same happened next year again. The show ended up happening roughly a month ago. It was a good one, even though they aren't exactly my kind of band. Anyway, in 2019 we didn't have a clue we were gonna have another baby, but you know, since there wasn't really much else to do during the quarantines ... Kid was 4 months old, so we had to bring my mother in law to Helsinki to babysit while we were at the show, and then she took the night bus home afterwards :lol: The worst moment was when the show was just about to start and we get a phone call from her, she just couldn't get the baby to stop crying... But then my wife gave a few instructions, and 10 minutes later we get a picture of a sleeping baby. And luckily she didn't wake up before we got back.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Last concert was Coheed on the 29th, fantastic as always, waiting to see them again since they're probably my 2nd favorite band of all-time :lol:

Next show on the docket is Rammstein on the 9th at Gilette Stadium, only took what, 2 years of delays to get here but we're in the final stretch so fingers crossed. I honestly never thought I'd see them live in America but here we are.

DC23

Reaction score
Obviously COVID put a damper on things. Last band I saw since then was Obscura. Coming up next is Intervals and Mandroid Echostar--so excited to see M.E again.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Obviously COVID put a damper on things. Last band I saw since then was Obscura. Coming up next is Intervals and Mandroid Echostar--so excited to see M.E again.

I love Mandroid's two albums, but they owe us some god damn explanations for their sudden drop off. Hopefully they bring some shows stateside, I ran into a number of Coheed fans who also love them (for obvious similarities)

DC23

Reaction score
I love Mandroid's two albums, but they owe us some god damn explanations for their sudden drop off. Hopefully they bring some shows stateside, I ran into a number of Coheed fans who also love them (for obvious similarities)
I think their vocalist had to have surgery--I remember reading something like that, but I could have just made that up entirely. I saw a post recently that looked like they were doing some recording so hopefully some new stuff coming down the pipeline since they've started to tour locally a bit. Don't know why those guys don't have a larger following--maybe it's just the Coheed comparisons.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Been catching up. Recently saw Whitechapel, Lorna Shore, Born of Osiris, and The Acacia Strain in a month. Missed Brojob which really bummed me out.

Can't forget the local band Time and Eternity. They do some great THALL.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Gonna go see cancer bats and comeback kid in sept.

In flames darkest hour and born of osiris just got announced the day before we fly for vacation. Im going anyway :lol:

Ross82

Reaction score
Just saw Guthrie The Aristocrats. Guthrie Govan is one of those "White Whales" you have to witness.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I used to go to 1-2 gigs every month but have only been to one the last 2 1/2 years cause of covid. Going to see Amorphis, Nightwish and Perturbator later this year. Gigs have been slow to come back with venues and event management in trouble.

OldMate

Riff Pig
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to catch Karnivool out at Monolith Festival Brisbane last Saturday. They never fail to disappoint, absolutely phenominal band. My favourite by far!

We Aussies might pull the short straw when it comes to international acts coming around with any frequency, but being able to see bands like Caligula's Horse and Karnivool with relative frequency is a godsend. I think I've seen both something like 7-8 times.

danZingWolf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got tired and gave my tickets back. I got angry when received that last email from them.

On the bands that I saw recently, Went to Dream Theater's concert which Tesseract was opening for them. their music was enjoyable but was a bit too soft/nice. DT itself was awesome as always but three really drunk people somehow ruined it for every body. Just imagine they were sitting beside me, and were drinking heavily and had to go to bathroom like 10 times each. And wouldn't do it quick enough. they would stand and talk amongst each other for 45 seconds while the band was playing! And then one of them started taking photos with the flash on, security got involved, then the other went in front of the stage started taking a selfy video while Petrucci was at the edge of stage, posing for his awesome solo. It was a nightmare.

Then missed the chance to see Helfest in France, passport problems, had to sell the tickets :(

I also got to see Jeff Beck which was cool. Johny Depp showed up suddenly and changed the dynamics a bit. Nothing special about his playing or singing.

My next gig will be Porcupine Three. Oh how much I've waited for this!

ExplorerMike

60% of the time...it works every time.
Reaction score
Recently saw Sumo Cyco for the first time finally, they put on a great show. Lots of crowd interaction and Skye the singer ended up in the crowd 3 different times getting everyone fired up.

Saw the Lilith Czar, The Warning, Pretty Reckless, Halestorm tour just a few weeks ago. That was great. All four bands killed it live. Going to see Rammstein, Trivium, and Band Maid in the coming months. Can’t wait!

Amer Alameddine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently saw the KVB, that darkwave/shoegaze sound translates so well live. Next gig will be in October I think, Lamb of God is playing with Killswitch Engage, Fit for an Autopsy, and Spiritbox, it's a seated gig in an arena, but probably still worth it.

DC23

Reaction score
In flames darkest hour and born of osiris just got announced the day before we fly for vacation. Im going anyway :lol:
I'm making the trek down 'to see family' (and maybe for this too). :D

Last edited:

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Billy Howerdel @Wonder Ballroom in Portland, OR in June.
Of course there had to be that one drunken @$$hole yelling "I love you, Billy! Sexy motherfu(&er!" all night. Music is great, sound could have been better. Very small venue, maybe half capacity attended.
I have tix for Dead Can Dance in January (they went on sale in June!)! I've never seen them so it should be nice. I just really like to dance and it's very frustrating that most big shows these days are all seated. If I'm paying $100 for a ticket, I want to dance my @$$ off.

')