What Bands would you like to see playing 7 strings?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
^
I dunno, there's an acclimation period with anything different, I went from 25.5" sixes, to 25.5" sevens, to 27.0" eights, back-and-up to 28.625" sixes, and probably onto 30.3" eights after this. If the instrument is right, you lock in on on pretty quick. I'm gonna just chalk it up to not enough time spent. :shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
^
I dunno, there's an acclimation period with anything different, I went from 25.5" sixes, to 25.5" sevens, to 27.0" eights, to 28.625" sixes, and probably onto 30.3" eights after this. If the instrument is right, you lock in on on pretty quick. I'm gonna just chalk it up to not enough time spent. :shurg:

you know what, in all seriousness i went from a 6 string to a 7 and felt like it was easier. it seriously felt as different as going from a violin neck to a guitar.

maybe it's also something to do with the fact that pin's a blackmachine player and apparenly those necks play themselves.

H

AbstractAsylum

Thoroughbred of Sin
Reaction score
Protest the Hero! They're crazy enough to do something cool with it.

Between the Buried and Me, Tool, Isis (broke up D:) Anyone that can use the extra string to be nuts or achieve a really cool, thick texture.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Like I said before, and I'll keep saying it, bands that normally do not use lower tunings would be cooler with a seven.

Bands that tune to drop-C, drop-B, drop-A, are already playing seven-string-ish stuff. I would like to see bands like Seether playing with seven strings, or Bad Religion, or Green Day, or even Megadeth (because most of their stuff is standard E and it would sound different).

A band like Offspring would sound interesting with seven-strings. I don't know, mainly punk-ish bands, Nirvana with a seven back in the day would have been mean. Maybe Soundgarden? They use lower tunings sometimes, but it would be interesting.

Alice in Chains could be fucking interesting too with sevens.

I don't really see the point of Slipknot with a seven since it already sounds like they're playing sevens. Or Chevelle, since they play in B and Bb in a lot of songs, it already sounds like they're playing sevens...

I know it's all about extended range but the first benefit of a seven is to go lower, I guess (in the way the sound is perceived by the human ear) :lol:

Andrewsonfire

Reaction score
I would love to see Prrotest the Hero/BTBAM/VOM with 7 strings as mentioned. Any one said Black dahlia murder yet? i always wanted them to try 7 strings.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Fucking Darkest Hour.
Kris Norris would have been even more of a God if he played a 7-string.
He might as well have used a 7-string on Ethos, cause of its fucked up tuning (AEADF#D is essentially in the AEADGBE range)

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score

:yesway: freakin NILE! that would be even more brutal! why didn i think of them

Between the Buried and Me
Protest The Hero
Unexpect
Sikth (they just need to start playing again in the first place!)

Did not know that. :yesway:

I would love to see protest using sevens.

Protest the Hero! They're crazy enough to do something cool with it.

Between the Buried and Me, Tool, Isis (broke up D:) Anyone that can use the extra string to be nuts or achieve a really cool, thick texture.

look at all the the love for pth! i seen these guys live - their music is amazing!

JonnHatch

Reaction score
I personally think every band on earth should play seven strings:lol::lol: but my pick would DEFINITELY be

Protest the motherfucking Hero
The Human Abstract (with AJ, not that new shitty guitarist)
BTBAM
Glass Casket

Peace!

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
Damn Symphony X was taken, but for the sake of contributing to the thread I'd like to see some instrumentalists take up sevens. Who would be cool?...Govan, Buckethead, and Friedman when he's doing his metal thing.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here, but I think Protest the Hero and Between the Buried and Me sound find with their current 6 string tunings and it would not bother me if they just kept playing 6 strings.

I tend to think that the genre at the moment that IMHO would be benefit most from 7 string and beyond guitars is post metal.
Being able to hit those low notes for the sludgy, intense moments and then having full access to the regular 6 string range for chiming clean sounds for quieter textural parts is just the bomb.

Latest posts

')