What BKPs to use?

• Thread starter WarOfAttrition
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarOfAttrition

Reaction score
I have a Schecter Damien FR 6 string and it has a basswood body, bolt on maple neck and a rosewood fretboard. I am looking for a tone that can do djent and death metal well without bad cleans. Any opinions? :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
IMO,

Aftermath is better in mahogany.. i think it has a tad too much mids for the extremely midrangey tone that basswood has

the miracle man is fucking ace in basswood though... i would personally go with that; the scooped mids and low mid punch of that pickup gives you super tight low end response as well as nice, open treble that cuts through and is never harsh

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Oh my how easily swayed you are. You should get that new DiMarzio that emulates the tone of all BKPs in one... /troll

But seriously, have you considered any other pickup brand or are you dead set on a BKP?

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
IMO,

Aftermath is better in mahogany.. i think it has tad too much mids for the extremely midrangey tone that basswood has

the miracle man is fucking ace is basswood though... i would personally go with that; the scooped mids and low mid punch of that pickup gives you super low end response as well as nice, open treble that cuts through and is never harsh
I agree. I put one in my JEM which is alder bodied and it sounded like shit. The Warpig sounded great on the otherhand. Kinda miss it, but I switched back to the EVO and it's amazing. I had correct wiring, changed the height close and far, nothing could make that pickup sing. If you have an alder, bassword, or other light/bright wood body I suggest something with a bit more meat like a C or A-Nailbomb, Blackdog, C-Warpig, or Painkiller. That's just my experience with my JEM that has an Alder body, Maple neck, and Ebony board. Pretty bright guitar.

With your rosewood board that would make your guitar a little darker so your guitar is probably right in the middle of being warm and bright where mines a little more on the bright side. Still I think a C-Bomb would work best for you since it also doesn't have a crazy mid-range, like stated above, basswood has.

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score
everyone always throws the after math out there... check out the Miracle Man. Just got it installed in my aldar/maple Kelly and they sound FUCKING enormous. I dont do the whole "djent" thing with my tone so idk how it fares there. But death metal is yes!

WarOfAttrition

Reaction score
I am not stuck on BKP, I'd just really like to try them! Other pickups I was looking at were: Dimarzio D Activator and Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion. Any opinions there?

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
I am not stuck on BKP, I'd just really like to try them! Other pickups I was looking at were: Dimarzio D Activator and Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion. Any opinions there?
I have had a HORRIBLE experience with the sh-6 distortion. I don't know wtf happened when I was wiring the guitar but it sounds like black mush.

I'm determined to try the full shred and custom. I have always loved the jazz neck and I also need to try emg 81/sax/60x (although my first time trying emgs (in one of the H series ltds) the 81/85 were VERY hollow sounding, dull, and didn't seem to have ANY output. Hell I asked the guy what happened to the guitar :lol:

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score

personally I have found it near impossible to work with SD for death metal but I have been hearing great things about the d-activators! the DiMarzio tech recommended them to me because I was looking for a progressive/technical death metal pup

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score
anyone who scoops their mids must love being lost in the mix live.... mids are essential in death metal and yeah I know what your saying. Personally im not big on Opeth's heavy guitar tone but hit up the BKP site and check out the sound clips for each pickup. Nollys clip on the MMs are sick

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Also Cold Sweats are great in basswood. Better cleans than the Miracle Man, also tighter. Not quite as huge sounding though.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
hit up the BKP site and check out the sound clips for each pickup. Nollys clip on the MMs are sick

the only problem with the clips on the site is the fact that it doesnt tell what woods/construction/anything about the guitar at all that is being used... and pickups do sound quite a bit different in different guitars

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Apologies for thread hijacking but what do you guys think about Aftermaths in a black limba bodied 7 string?

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score
the only problem with the clips on the site is the fact that it doesnt tell what woods/construction/anything about the guitar at all that is being used... and pickups do sound quite a bit different in different guitars

yeah thats also a good point. I'm sure you could just ask Nolly on facebook or something what guitar he used but yeah I totally agree, that was a little bit of an issue when I was looking around the site

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
personally I have found it near impossible to work with SD for death metal but I have been hearing great things about the d-activators! the DiMarzio tech recommended them to me because I was looking for a progressive/technical death metal pup

D-Activators are pretty awesome pickups IMO... i have a set in my RG7321 which is basswood and they sound great. Very tight and pretty aggressive sounding with nice dynamics and articulation. best pickup 80$ can buy you..

on the other hand, i still prefer my BKPs.. yea, they cost quite a bit more, but theres just something extra "sweet" about them... i believe it has to do w/the hand winding compared to dimarzios machine winding... hand winding decreases coil capacitance and coil capacitance tends to "muffle" the tone a little bit

Underworld

Reaction score
Cold sweat or Miracle man. The first will be tighter with a better cut in the highs, the second will feel "bigger".

')