What boost to pair with 3120?

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Had to sell my amp due to poverty reasons and I picked up the Peaverty 3120 because I have to have a half stack to jam out.

I'm happy with the purchase and it's going to work fine for me but now I'm thinking I need a boost. Don't get me wrong I don't think the amp "needs" a boost in the traditional sense, it has all the gain and saturation that I need but maybe to add a little flavor? Not really complaining about the tone from this amp but there is something about the low end that makes me think it could benefit from a little cut as well.

Here's a little clip for context.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Horizon Devices Precision Drive is perfect for tightening a tube amp. Attack knob adjusts how tight. Bright knob makes it sharper. And the built-in adjustable gate makes it everything you need.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
First, not sure about yours, but the two I had were NOISY AF. A noise gate first. Then a TS style clone with gain down and volume up, just adds some saturation.
I had to sell both of mine, they were sooo noisy, but the gain was great.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
First, not sure about yours, but the two I had were NOISY AF. A noise gate first. Then a TS style clone with gain down and volume up, just adds some saturation.
I had to sell both of mine, they were sooo noisy, but the gain was great.
Precision Drive: a TS-style overdrive with a gate. 'Attack' adjusts how tight. It's the perfect overdrive. Free up the space of a separate gate pedal.
PXL_20231121_223440091~4.jpg

broangiel

Reaction score
I like the Bosom Boost with mine. Granted, I run the Boost control pretty low and tune the Tight control to taste. I only bring the BMT EQ into the circuit if needed, which isn't usually the case for the 3120.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
Precision Drive: a TS-style overdrive with a gate. 'Attack' adjusts how tight. It's the perfect overdrive. Free up the space of a separate gate pedal.
I used my gate in the loop, because the AMP was so noisy, not the intro chain. I ran straight in because i didn't need more gain, and when you turn the guitar volume down, it sounded like a room full of angry snakes....

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used my gate in the loop, because the AMP was so noisy, not the intro chain. I ran straight in because i didn't need more gain, and when you turn the guitar volume down, it sounded like a room full of angry snakes....
Overdrives aren't just for more gain. I get more than enough gain from my amp. The PD is to clean up the low end and sharpen the high end, with a slight mid-boost. With the Attack knob up and gain at 0, it's actually reducing the gain a tad, because the low end isn't being pushed so hard into saturation. I always run overdrive with gain at 0, volume set to unity, just for pre tone shaping.
I get so much noise here, I have the gate in the PD in front, another first in the loop, and another last in the loop. Most of the noise is EM/RF from the pickups, so the gate in the PD cuts that noise before it hits the amp and gets amplified. So the gate in the loop doesn't have to work so hard, its threshold gets to be lower, which allows for longer sustain.

Crazysheriff

Reaction score
Had to sell my amp due to poverty reasons and I picked up the Peaverty 3120 because I have to have a half stack to jam out.

I'm happy with the purchase and it's going to work fine for me but now I'm thinking I need a boost. Don't get me wrong I don't think the amp "needs" a boost in the traditional sense, it has all the gain and saturation that I need but maybe to add a little flavor? Not really complaining about the tone from this amp but there is something about the low end that makes me think it could benefit from a little cut as well.

Great Amp!
I have been on a tone search for the last year or so after a couple of years off do to having kids.
So yeah i had an Engl Retrotube 100 for about 8 years. And i wanted to change it up a bit and continue searching after the most crunch and bottom end i could get.
I went through Peavey 6505, Peavey invective MH, a Mesa Boogie dual caliber 10, and a KSR Ares. And offcourse the Peavey 3120.

First off.. Cab and Speaker just makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!!!
And also what type of boost you use.

So the amps im left with now is the 3120 and the KSR Ares.

So what made me love the 3120 so much?
I play sevenstring a half step down drop A and went from emgs to passive seymour duncans.
The boost i use is a Zuta Triax, and that thing rocks.. nearly no boost on but it is the filtering it does that makes the amp CHUG!

So yeah a precision drive should work great or something similar, preferrably with a noisegate.
As far as the Speakers And Cab, i run one 412 with greenback 25s and one 412 with v30s together.

The boost and cabs just made the tone go from ok to Really fucking awesome.
This amp is in my opinion very underrated and there is a lot you can do to shape the tone on it.
Dont forget the dampening switch on the back that has 3 settings, loose medium and high.
I played a long while with the settings on loose, but after getting those cabs i now have it on medium.

Boost and cab/ speaker is what makes this amp shine.
I run mine with a zuta triaxx boost, but a precision drive would work great or something similar with a gate.
Its mostly how the boost filters the signal before the amp. It might not need that much signalboost but it needs toneshaping like the precision drive does. There are clones of that pedal like the joyo argos. I actually ordered one and im going to try it.
I run 2- 412 cabs. One with 25watt greenbacks and one 412 with v30s. And i would say that combo boost/cab was far better then i would have expected.
Crunch for days.
I havent played the peavey 412ms cab but im shure it works with that amp.
Also mess with the dampening switch on the back, used to run it on loose but now i run it on medium.

SJShinn

Reaction score
I love these amps, I had a Triple XXX 2x12 combo back in the day. Being that the 3120 is the exact same circuit, just with different power tubes, I would give the Boss SD-1 a try. My favorite setup with that amp was an SD-1 in front of the Crunch Channel with the damping switch set to loose. Almost into Exodus-y territory with that. Also remember it's active EQ controls on the gain channels, they gotta be set a little differently to a "normal" amp. Enjoy the 3120! That whole family of amps are fire breathing beasts.

melomanic

Reaction score
I agree with the Boss SD-1 recommendations, that's what I use with mine to give it more thwomp. These amps are extremely sterile, and the mid hump of the SD-1 does the job wonderfully.

Shask

Reaction score
That is strange because the XXX has a noise "gate" circuit in it. Mine is very quiet.

Shask

Reaction score

One of the biggest things I found to make a difference with the XXX is to run the send and return knobs on the back cranked. It adds a thickness to the amp you dont get otherwise.

I use different boosts, but any standard Tubescreamer type works well. In general you dont want anything too extreme because the amp is already saturated and tight.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't used this amp but I'd say the typical boosts (TS, SD1) would be a good bet. The Boss BD2 can be good for a little beefier boost if you don't want as midrange an flow end cut.

An option for the Precision Drive would the Protone Dino Cazares OD, though it's less common than the PD. It has a similar low cut feature though no noise gate. I have one and it's kind of like an SD1 but with more clarity.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Overdrives aren't just for more gain. I get more than enough gain from my amp. The PD is to clean up the low end and sharpen the high end, with a slight mid-boost. With the Attack knob up and gain at 0, it's actually reducing the gain a tad, because the low end isn't being pushed so hard into saturation. I always run overdrive with gain at 0, volume set to unity, just for pre tone shaping.
I get so much noise here, I have the gate in the PD in front, another first in the loop, and another last in the loop. Most of the noise is EM/RF from the pickups, so the gate in the PD cuts that noise before it hits the amp and gets amplified. So the gate in the loop doesn't have to work so hard, its threshold gets to be lower, which allows for longer sussustain
This. It definitely doesn't need a boost for more gain or saturation and this is coming from a guy who boost almost everything.

But like you said, something about the low end here that makes me want a boost. Could use a little cut or just a little flavor.
That is strange because the XXX has a noise "gate" circuit in it. Mine is very quiet.
Yeah, this is a very quiet amp. Something must have been wrong with the other one mentioned.
One of the biggest things I found to make a difference with the XXX is to run the send and return knobs on the back cranked. It adds a thickness to the amp you dont get otherwise.

I use different boosts, but any standard Tubescreamer type works well. In general you dont want anything too extreme because the amp is already saturated and tight.
Thanks for that suggestion. I have this filter type of pedal designed for the loop. I did try it a little but the one issue this amp seems to have is the loop. It got a little noisy and crackle, maybe a little deoxit can fix that but anyway I did not really mess with the loop levels outside of using that pedal so I will definitely play with it.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Since most people here have already covered the standard TS or SD-1 style pedals, I'll also mention the Wampler Triumph, which has both circuit styles on a switch and additional EQ controls. I picked one up recently and it's been killer so far :metal: the Punch/SD-1 side also has a lot more volume on tap than a standard SD-1

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Since most people here have already covered the standard TS or SD-1 style pedals, I'll also mention the Wampler Triumph, which has both circuit styles on a switch and additional EQ controls. I picked one up recently and it's been killer so far :metal: the Punch/SD-1 side also has a lot more volume on tap than a standard SD-1
Sounds interesting, I'll look that one up too.

The first pedal I'm going to try is the voodoo sparkle drive. Someone recommend that and it appealed to me because of the blend knob. Other than that idk much about the pedal or what the circuit is.

Shask

Reaction score
Sounds interesting, I'll look that one up too.

The first pedal I'm going to try is the voodoo sparkle drive. Someone recommend that and it appealed to me because of the blend knob. Other than that idk much about the pedal or what the circuit is.
It is basically an 808 style Tubescreamer with a clean blend.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

You might be thinking the Triple X II, which was a rebranded JSX. Satch included noise gates on the 2 dirt channels of a modded OG XXX as a basis for his Peavey sig.

Count me as another SD1 recommendation. The OG XXX with a boosted SD1 was my old touring rig a while. An MXR CBMOD sounds great too.

')