What boost to pair with 3120?

Shask

Reaction score
You might be thinking the Triple X II, which was a rebranded JSX. Satch included noise gates on the 2 dirt channels of a modded OG XXX as a basis for his Peavey sig.

Count me as another SD1 recommendation. The OG XXX with a boosted SD1 was my old touring rig a while. An MXR CBMOD sounds great too.
No, the XXX has a "Gate" also. It has the same circuit, you just can't adjust it. It is cranked all the time. You can easily add the pot to a XXX to mimic the circuit the JSX has.

Calling them both a Gate is a bit of a stretch. It is not a gate in the typical sense, it is a simple diode circuit which cuts out the low level hum and hiss.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Reaction score
Highwind Direwolf. Tons of tweakability, but very intuitive to use. Covers a ton of tonal ground, hands down the best boost pedal I've ever used.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like the Bosom Boost with mine. Granted, I run the Boost control pretty low and tune the Tight control to taste. I only bring the BMT EQ into the circuit if needed, which isn't usually the case for the 3120.
You mean the Friedman Buxom Boost?
PXL_20220805_041556527~3.jpg

Yeah, this is another good one, if you want a clean boost w/tone shaping instead of an overdrive. The Mids & Bass are boost only, the Treble does boost/cut. And the Tight knob does just that. The 'Boost' knob goes below unity, because the EQ can be boosted so much, sometimes you have to drop the Boost level to compensate. It can also be used as an underdrive (if you need less gain for a part, or have an amp that isn't very clean on the clean channel, this can clean it up).
I find the Precision Drive to keep the bass more thumpy when all the way 'tight' with the Attack knob. But the Buxom Boost has more control over the 3 frequency bands.
I use both: sometimes the PD is what the amp needs, sometimes the BB is what it needs.
The Wampler Belle is also good for this use. It has a Bass knob, so it can also tighten the low end. And it has a 'Color' knob instead of a typical Tone knob, which gives a unique range of sounds.
The PD gets used the most for chuggy high gain stuff. I've used it in front of 6 different tube amps, a digital modeling amp, and several distortion pedals. It has been beneficial for all of it.
I still keep the BB & Belle on my board, too. They can be useful with cleans, too. I run them both on 18V to get as clean as possible. I do a lot of clean palm-muting and these pedals really help that sound good.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
You mean the Friedman Buxom Boost?
View attachment 147630
Yeah, this is another good one, if you want a clean boost w/tone shaping instead of an overdrive. The Mids & Bass are boost only, the Treble does boost/cut. And the Tight knob does just that. The 'Boost' knob goes below unity, because the EQ can be boosted so much, sometimes you have to drop the Boost level to compensate. It can also be used as an underdrive (if you need less gain for a part, or have an amp that isn't very clean on the clean channel, this can clean it up).
I find the Precision Drive to keep the bass more thumpy when all the way 'tight' with the Attack knob. But the Buxom Boost has more control over the 3 frequency bands.
I use both: sometimes the PD is what the amp needs, sometimes the BB is what it needs.
The Wampler Belle is also good for this use. It has a Bass knob, so it can also tighten the low end. And it has a 'Color' knob instead of a typical Tone knob, which gives a unique range of sounds.
The PD gets used the most for chuggy high gain stuff. I've used it in front of 6 different tube amps, a digital modeling amp, and several distortion pedals. It has been beneficial for all of it.
I still keep the BB & Belle on my board, too. They can be useful with cleans, too. I run them both on 18V to get as clean as possible. I do a lot of clean palm-muting and these pedals really help that sound good.
Yeah the buxom is a great boost. I wish I was or could afford to be a hoarder because it's always the same thing.

When I get a new amp, what boost do I need for THIS amp. Then see I've owned most of the boosts mentioned :lol:

To me though it's about how a certain boost reacts to a specific amp and vice versa.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah the buxom is a great boost. I wish I was or could afford to be a hoarder because it's always the same thing.

When I get a new amp, what boost do I need for THIS amp. Then see I've owned most of the boosts mentioned :lol:

To me though it's about how a certain boost reacts to a specific amp and vice versa.
Different amps react different ways to different boosts and pickups. That is why you really need to keep a few around, because you never know what magical combinations will come unexpectedly.

I build a lot of them, so I think I am up to probably 40 or 50 boosts. I am always rotating them in.

Latest posts

')