What bout Seymour Duncans

• Thread starter foreverflyinghigh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, DiMarzio has been making 7 string PUs longer, and they're definitely the preferred pickup maker around here. Having said that, I'm in the very vocal minority that hasn't yet found a DiMarzio 7 string PU they can stand, and uses Duncans. Several of us around here actually use different makers - EMG, Lundgren, Bareknuckle, etc. Just search a bit...

7-request

Reaction score
well, i'm happy using SD SH-6 for my 1527,

the problem with SD is they are not direct replacement for ibanez 7 string (rg 1527, i dont know bout other 7) and also, the pole on SD dont sit right, its off the strings (it has smaller string spacing)

but i just got my evolution 7 which is DiMarzio, tomorrow i'm gonna put it on brigde then move the SD to neck.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the problem with SD is they are not direct replacement for ibanez 7 string (rg 1527, i dont know bout other 7) and also, the pole on SD dont sit right, its off the strings (it has smaller string spacing)

Uh, that minor of a distance makes almost no difference - I doubt it would be audible - in field strength. So while they don't "line up", they still work just fine.

Having said that, there's definitely an Ibby/DiMarzio correlation around here...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Having said that, there's definitely an Ibby/DiMarzio correlation around here...

This is probably because Ibanez has traditionally spec'd Dimarzios on their high end guitars, which is probably also due to the two "big name" endorsers for Ibanez, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, both being Dimarzio endorsees.

How is it not a direct replacement, 7request? Also, it's probably polepeice spacing - Dimarzio offers both F-spaced and non-F spaced polepeice spreads, with the former for trems and the later for hardtails, generally. There's no tonal difference, though, so it's really just a cosmetic thing and you can use either.

EDIT - and I've been a Dimarzio user basically forever, but I've been totally digging the '59/JB set in my Blackjack of late.

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
its probably because so many sevenstring-guitarists play Ibanez and because of the "connection" between dimarzio and ibanez

what Drew said

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
I just have both pick up config.
Best of both world.

- Jazz + Invader in my alder 7
- Blaze neck in bridge in my mahogany 7.

I slightly prefer Duncans so far... Can't quite tell you why though.
It's a "feeling" thing... I guess the Duncans are a bit "warmer".
Need to try a JB in the bridge of my mahogany saber soon to try and confirm that feeling of mine...
That being said, i'm far from being an expert. Hear what eaeolian says.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Duncans definitely seem warmer and more organic to my ears. :agreed:

Dimarzio are generally more clinical, but more precise. Somewhat active-like, almost.

I prefer Dimarzio. Different strokes.

(The Dimarzio DS7 seems to have a almost Duncan type quality to it. Sort of bell-like, very chimey. I've only ever heard that in alnico Duncans and in good single coils before.)

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Personally i prefer syemour duncans in my six stringed guitars, how come there isnt much discussions or reccomendations to them. I think the favored brand in this Forum is DiMarzio

Wow, i just noticed you're from Trinidad-Tobago.
That's awesome. God it's beautiful out there!
You might be the only member from the carribeans and for that... i hate you.
(had 5 inches of snow this morning... :))

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
EMGs FTW. I love 'em. (But don't have any currently. :()

Mr.
rg2027.jpg
, Meet Mr.
dremel_foto.jpg

drshock

Street-good guy
Reaction score
I love my invader in Ibanez 7's. It retains the sound of a downtuned 7 but and is perfectly crisp in standard.

7-request

Reaction score
yesterday, when i tried to put dimarzio evo7 into my 1527, it wasn't a direct replacement either, i have to route the pickup cavity, to make it deeper.
do you guys know, what things they put on cavity? (the black thing, like paint but it not, i guess it has somthing to do with noise, isnt??? do i have to repaint the pick up cavity with that, or just leave it ???

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
I prefer DiMarzio's in my 7's.
I always used Seymour JB's in my 6's but the JB sounds shit in basswood 7's I'm interested to hear what the invader sounds like in basswood tho if anyone's got any clips i can listen to i'd appreciate it!

')