What brand of strings do you use and why?

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Welp, the Ernie Balls turned out to be kind of ass again. But I don't regret buying them because I was experimenting and had a few guitars that needed new placeholder strings. The problem is that they're dead fast and don't seem to hold tune as well.
So when I'm done with the pickup changing, nut cutting and fret leveling I'll give NYXL another chance or Elixir, which I've never really messed with. Which ever allows me to make a custom set easier.
Drop C# with a 10-46 + 52 loose.
Drop C with 11-49 + 54 loose.
8st F# with 10-46 + 60 or 64 + 80
Eb 10-46

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Ernie Ball Paradigm or Stringjoy. I really want to try Stringjoy orbiters but they are only available in limited gauges so far. If I’m going cheaper then I’ll buy Dunlop Heavy Cores, which I actually love but again the gauge selection is mid.

Heavy Cores make your guitar sound thicc. In a good way. 💪

Marked Man

Reaction score
Ernie Ball. Super Slinkies happened to be the extra strings that came with my uncle’s old guitars and started using them from there.

After using 9s forever and trying to switch permanently to 10s, I found my sweet spot in their 9.5s. I like that they’re slinky like 9s, but feel a little thicker because regular 9s honestly feel too small in my hands and could use something a little lighter than 10s. They honestly beat using 9-46 imo.

Lately I've been trying Curt Mangan 9.5-44 and not yet installed Stringjoy 9.5-46 is next.

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
nickel wound is nickel wound. Any real difference is going to come from a different core, tin plated or carbon steel. If you're happy with a twangy new string tone that lasts a few days, followed by a dull tone a month later, and eventually breaks on a solo bend, stick to the tried and true basics.

Otherwise pay a bit more and get strings engineered to last longer tonally and physically. I recommend the cobalts, but also enjoy optiwebs and nyxl and blue steels and m-steel.

Once you've decided to go for the upgraded core, pick a feel, little more slippery use an elixer, little rougher use a cobalt.

Firewind

Have an A1 day!
Reaction score
I use Elixir Nanoweb 10-46s tuned down a half step on 25.5” scale, and their 9-42 set (with a 12 on the B) for standard. They’re the perfect tension for me and feel super smooth, the proverbial “like butter”.

Other brands seem to feel rough (D’Addarios in particular) and get dull after about a week, but Elixirs last for about 2 months so it balances out price-wise. Also I spend less time changing strings 👍

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just grabbed some NYXL 11-56s for a guitar of mine. Can’t remember if I’ve tried this set, but I haven’t loved 52s on the bottom of my 6s lately.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Since D'Addario XT strings were the same cost as NYXL for the 10-59 set, I got a few. I rather like the XTs on my E-II Arrow 7. They have a very slightly smoother feel than the NYXLs when fresh. So far, they sound about as good as fresh NYXL strings, maybe a touch rounder on the treble response, kinda like NYXLs that have been on for a bit.

If they can sound and feel like slightly broken-in NYXLs and keep that sound and feel for months. I think it's a win!

On the flip side, I got an NYXL set for my EHB bass, 50-105 plus a low 135. The NYXLs sound reallllly metallic and punchy on a 35" multiscale bass. My other EHBs have XLs; I think that for bass, I prefer the XL's more traditional tonal profile. I get enough punch and growl from my DarkGlass that I don't really need the strings to be that much brighter.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
I recently gave another swing at EBs, despite never being a fan. Having not tried a set in over a decade, and being that I was trying a few gauges to see what I liked for dropC, I gave them a go.
Early impressions weren’t bad, initial brightness was about on par with Daddario XLs, the wound strings felt a little rough but nothing extreme.
2 weeks in and that guitar requires tuning adjustments every day, and sounds duller than it’s sibling wearing 3 month old NYXLs.

Bias confirmed. I just don’t like Slinky’s.

')