What cab impulses are people using nowdays?

• Thread starter HanSulu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
I have a lot of 3 Sigma Audio cabs so I tend to use those most of the time. Favs are the Framus Dragon, Mesa Road King and the Bad Cat 2x12 but they all sound really good I think. Also recently got the JST conquer all packs 3 and 4 for free to send for YouTube and they sound pretty good too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fob

Reaction score
I just wanted to double check because I'm not entirely sure.

I do NOT own Axe Fx or Cab Lab. Will the cab impulses for Cab Lab or Axe (the paid ones) work on a free IR loader? Do they come with .wav files?

I am also confused about the file to use. I see 44.1 and 48 and 98 and all that, what should I be using? I don't know what any of that means. 12 or 24 bit?

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I just wanted to double check because I'm not entirely sure.

I do NOT own Axe Fx or Cab Lab. Will the cab impulses for Cab Lab or Axe (the paid ones) work on a free IR loader? Do they come with .wav files?

I am also confused about the file to use. I see 44.1 and 48 and 98 and all that, what should I be using? I don't know what any of that means. 12 or 24 bit?

No, unfortunately. I posted a lengthy post on another forum about why they should. I can't think of a good reason they don't.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
Just go get the OwnHammer Heavy Hitters collection and stop wondering. The AxeFX cab packs are made for the AxeFX and may be in .syx format. You have so many more options, you don't even need to consider these.

Use the sample rate that matches your project. If your project is in 44.1, then use 44.1, and so forth.

fob

Reaction score
Just go get the OwnHammer Heavy Hitters collection and stop wondering. The AxeFX cab packs are made for the AxeFX and may be in .syx format. You have so many more options, you don't even need to consider these.

Use the sample rate that matches your project. If your project is in 44.1, then use 44.1, and so forth.
I did get some. I like having multiple options and trying multiple things. The Ownhammer stuff sounds great.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Some IRs I have been having good results with for lower tunings are the Redwirez Soldano 4X12s with the Eminence speakers. Very "woody" and organic sounding. Would recommend them to anyone who's looking to get away from that Mesa/V30 tone.

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
I could never get my headaround a tone I liked with RedWirez ever since I got the Ownhammer heavy hitters and even trying out some of the Rosen Dig ones they blow them out of the water for me (Alot of my stuff is 8string 7string nowadays for reference)
Not saying that they are bad, just not hitting the mark for me.

requiemsoup

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I've been really in love with the NOS 30 impulse from Two Notes; which I also blend with God Cabs NT5 dead room impulses. Its pretty fat and organic sounding, imo.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I did get some. I like having multiple options and trying multiple things. The Ownhammer stuff sounds great.

Some IRs I have been having good results with for lower tunings are the Redwirez Soldano 4X12s with the Eminence speakers. Very "woody" and organic sounding. Would recommend them to anyone who's looking to get away from that Mesa/V30 tone.

Does RedWirez even have updates anymore? I haven't seen anything change on their website in a long time.

The Heavy Hitters Collection is on my shopping list actually. OwnHammer has great stuff.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Does RedWirez even have updates anymore? I haven't seen anything change on their website in a long time.

The Heavy Hitters Collection is on my shopping list actually. OwnHammer has great stuff.

I like to run the Redwirez IRs through Recainet 4 using the Tangerine Chug preset.

For whatever reason(s), the Ownhammer IRs don't sound that great with my set-up.

Tried the a couple of the Rosen IRs and did not like them at all.

The Celestion IRs I'm kind of on the fence on. They definitely sound clear, but don't seem to have much in the way of bottom end. Overly mid-focused imo.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
For whatever reason(s), the Ownhammer IRs don't sound that great with my set-up.

Try using the "Quick Mix" IR's. I wasn't able to get them to sound good either, but by starting with one of the quick mix IR's, it's been a really good starting point and has really turned me on to OH in general.

fob

Reaction score
Try using the "Quick Mix" IR's. I wasn't able to get them to sound good either, but by starting with one of the quick mix IR's, it's been a really good starting point and has really turned me on to OH in general.
I saw and used some of those but I wasn't sure what's so different. Is it just combinations that pair together well?

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
It's like they just took the best capture for each microphone, copied the IR, and pasted them in a different folder. I don't think there is anything special about the IR's in the quick mix folder, other than that they are the best of the bunch. I grab the 57 IR from the quick mix folder right out of the gate, then add from there. Been using IR's with a 57 and 421 lately.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience with Choptones IR's? Just got their Mesa Boogie Recto OS pack, and it's awesome for metal tones. Pleasant highs, lot of low end, but still feels controllable and not over board. Also plenty of options for mics, which sound good.

Unslaved

Reaction score
Hey i second the heavy hitters sound great if you tweak for a little while.....you will eventually find what your looking for

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I have some IRs that haven't been released yet that I was fortunate enough to get sent by one of the guys that made it and they sound way better than any other IRs I've tried. Hopefully they release the pack soon!!

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
I've been using the Jigsaw Audio zilla cab pack and they're really fantastic IRs. It's only 20 bucks ATM and I've been blow away with how good they are

Latest posts