What cab should I buy

• Thread starter TimMcKiernan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been thinking of upgrading from my old cab which is a 4x12 Randall
and was wondering what were some good cabs worth sussing out,

I've heard good things about the Mesa cabs and the Orange cabs, what are some opinions on these?

*for the record I'm running an Axe-Fx Ultra through a Fryette 2/90/2 power-amp*

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bradd

Reaction score
go orange! they look fucking sexy, and they sound great! :) I've played thru a 2x12 with a tiny terror. it was pretty awesome i must say.

Reaction score
go orange! they look fucking sexy, and they sound great! :) I've played thru a 2x12 with a tiny terror. it was pretty awesome i must say.

Aren't the Oranges super heavy (weight) and pretty pricey?
I do agree that they look sexy though.

ryan9896

Rip it!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
what randall cab do you have?? i would grab a new XL cab from randall, solid construction, 4ohm & 16ohm mono, 8 ohm stereo inputs. and they are loaded with V30's, G12's or both!! love mine, it thumps and is very clear in the mids and highs. built tough, real heavy.

Fisch MIOLI

Reaction score
Aren't the Oranges super heavy (weight) and pretty pricey?
I do agree that they look sexy though.

They are heavy haha. 110lbs! Nothing you and a friend can't handle though. They are pretty spendy brand new. But I'm sure you can find one used.

Check out Emperor cabs! Just got mine and I love it! And its not as heavy as the Orange!

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yes the Orange is beastly. As said, nothing two people can't handle but it's still pretty awkward! It's huge and very heavy. I don't like carrying it with 2 people but can carry other 412s myself.

I love my Orange and it sounds great! But I would consider, if you go that route, a 212. Plenty of people seem to think it's enough and sounds as good. A-B them if you can.

I'm going to be selling mine soon..shame you're in Aus :lol:

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been thinking of upgrading from my old cab which is a 4x12 Randall
and was wondering what were some good cabs worth sussing out,

I've heard good things about the Mesa cabs and the Orange cabs, what are some opinions on these?

*for the record I'm running an Axe-Fx Ultra through a Fryette 2/90/2 power-amp*

I've had a Mesa before and I didn't really like the sound. Too dark and closed off sounding. Then again a huge deal of that is how you set up the patches.

Just out of curiosity, why not just get a FR cab for practicing? That way when doing gigs you can go direct to PA and you get to carry less shit around...

Reaction score
I've had a Mesa before and I didn't really like the sound. Too dark and closed off sounding. Then again a huge deal of that is how you set up the patches.

Just out of curiosity, why not just get a FR cab for practicing? That way when doing gigs you can go direct to PA and you get to carry less shit around...

I've considered going directly into a PA live but the majority of PA's at venues around here suck.
Saying that I also like the feel of having a cab behind me on stage.
Any one tried any of the Hughes and Ketner cabs?

Reaction score
They are heavy haha. 110lbs! Nothing you and a friend can't handle though. They are pretty spendy brand new. But I'm sure you can find one used.

Check out Emperor cabs! Just got mine and I love it! And its not as heavy as the Orange!

I'll keep an eye out for emperor cabs man,
thanks

groph

Reaction score
I'd be inclined to recommend a really sterile sounding cab because can't Axe FX's provide cab sims? Maybe a Vader would do well. Lots of people on here love the Orange 412's though so just give as many cabs a try as you can. (drunk advice)

groph

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the fryette cabs?

Take this with a grain of salt.

Judging by the people on this site and what Ive read,

The VHT/Fryette cabs are fucking awesome, the P50 speakers are apparently really nice and VHT/Fryette makes a nice guitar cabinet indeed, definitely pro quality. You'll pay for them but they are damn nice from what I've heard. Celestion K85's are apparently really awesome as well (similar to Celestion K100's)

Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt.

Judging by the people on this site and what Ive read,

The VHT/Fryette cabs are fucking awesome, the P50 speakers are apparently really nice and VHT/Fryette makes a nice guitar cabinet indeed, definitely pro quality. You'll pay for them but they are damn nice from what I've heard. Celestion K85's are apparently really awesome as well (similar to Celestion K100's)

I have a guy I know selling one second hand,
Definently a worthy investment then?

DVRP

The HUMANCENTiPAD
Reaction score
My diezel cab is AMAZING. I recommend them to anyone in the market for a new cab. Best purchase Ive made for my rig.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I can only recommend the Mesa Stiletto cab if you're looking for a 4x12 as it's the only actual good 412 i've owned.

The orange 2x12 closed back I had was killer and I preferred it to the Mesa Recto 2x12 I had afterwards. Regret getting rid of it.

I'm actually currently looking into an Avatar Contemporary series cab as soon as I can get the cash for one because they seem to be built similarly to the orange cabs and I can get whatever tolex/grille cloth combo I want + V30's and CL80's in an X pattern. :yum:

')