What classical pieces are you currently working on?

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Me, I've spent a few days working at Villa-Lobos' 'Etude #1', which is an awesome piece, plus a little bit of Bach's 'Bouree in E Minor'. I've also started dipping into my book of Fernando Sor studies again.

I also started working at Paganini's 'Caprice #5' again for the first time in years last night, although that's on the electric.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

progmetaldan

Reaction score
I'm currently working on some Carcassi studies, a Baden Powell piece, the Brouwer Studies First Series, and Preludio Rockero by Maximo Pujol for my performance assessment in a couple of weeks...

stubhead

Feral Buddha
Reaction score
I (insanely, foolishly) agreed to play some Bach stuff at a friend's wedding, with another mutual friend who is a fiendishly-great, conservatory-trained classical pianist. I'm not doing the "wedding-band" thing, just sitting in for some excerpts from the 3rd violin sonata in C, 3rd partita in E, and a few bits from the cello suites to be determined. I've been playing out of these books for fun for years, but not as performance pieces.... :nuts:

Solidbody electric all the way, either into a JC120 or a borrowed Princeton with just a touch of reverb - separates the men from the boys, that. I know everybody who's going and they all expect me to break into "Iron Man" & "Johnny B. Goode" when I get lost, so it's a zero-pressure, non-paying gig anyway. :wag:

I poke at the Paganini caprices regularly too, usually the 5th, 16th, 11th & 13th. I try to read something every day, but my time is limited. The Bach cello suites are good practice for reading the bass clef & come spring there may be more bass jobs for me than anything else.

(Paganini's 6th caprice is just SRV's "Dirty Pool" played on a violin anyway? :shred:)

progmetaldan

Reaction score
^ I'd say it was probably the other way around, I reckon the Paganini Caprices might have been around before SRV... ;)

')