What defines Nu-Metal?

• Thread starter DeKay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Like dude said, that's way too nebulous of a genre.

No band on Earth sounds like Sigur Ros.
Plenty of bands sounds like Sigur Ros, the only thing that sets them apart is that they created a new language to sing in and how Jonsi plays the guitar with a violin bow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
After listening to half of the album you recommended, abandonist, I can say that they aren't really that special. Pretty good, but they seem pretty "clone-able" so to speak. I dont know anything about post rock scene but I'm sure there are bands that sound like Sigur Ros. So yeah, post rock.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Plenty of bands sounds like Sigur Ros, the only thing that sets them apart is that they created a new language to sing in and how Jonsi plays the guitar with a violin bow.

They only use that on one album. Everything else is Icelandic.

What other bands would you say sound like them?

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I see some posts about seven string guitars in Nu-Metal, but all I can think of is Korn, Jaxon Benge of Hed-Pe, Stephen of Deftones, and that is pretty much it. The list of 6 stringers in Nu-Metal is endless. Drop C tuning, anyone?

I think thrash and deathmetal guitarists like Dino Cazares and Trey Azagtoth did much more for the sevenstring, with the exception of Korn of course.

Jon/Apartment 26, Lance and Jason/Flaw, Joe/Sw1tched, Wes/Limp Bizkit started on 7s, Ryan/Orgy. Just a few on the top of my head.

Whether or not these bands are "nu-metal" is up for debate, I'm just naming bands in that timeframe.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
All popular heavy music from 1995 to 2000.

I can't explain a genre that supposedly contains Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, System of a Down and Disturbed any other way.

8last

Reaction score
I know if the lyrics contain repeated use of 'falling' 'breaking' 'away' 'sick' 'inside' and 'down' its probably nu metal

Primitive Guitarist

Mastering Mastering
Reaction score
Use a motograter......
motograter16bb.jpg

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Jon/Apartment 26, Lance and Jason/Flaw, Joe/Sw1tched, Wes/Limp Bizkit started on 7s, Ryan/Orgy. Just a few on the top of my head.

Whether or not these bands are "nu-metal" is up for debate, I'm just naming bands in that timeframe.

Still, most of them used six string guitars in drop tunes and some of them used baritone guitars. And a plethora of tunings, most bands in drop-C, drop-C#, some in drop-D, several in drop-B, Taproot in drop-A, etc, etc

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Still, most of them used six string guitars in drop tunes and some of them used baritone guitars. And a plethora of tunings, most bands in drop-C, drop-C#, some in drop-D, several in drop-B, Taproot in drop-A, etc, etc

I know, I was just pointing out other bands around that time that used 7s. I always thought Taproot played in A standard on 6s, that's funny.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I know, I was just pointing out other bands around that time that used 7s. I always thought Taproot played in A standard on 6s, that's funny.

If I recall correctly, back then, one of them used A standard and the other used a sort of Drop D tuning with a low A and they made it work :)

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I didn't thought to get so many different views on this whole thing. Really interesting to read.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, back then, one of them used A standard and the other used a sort of Drop D tuning with a low A and they made it work :)

Correct, Mike was in A standard and Stephen played in the Drop D/low A you spoke of starting on the Welcome album.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
I agree that nu metal is a 'nebulous genre' and that its defining characteristics are vague, as already discussed in this thread. many bands that seem to be different on paper are grouped together under the nu-metal monicker.

but somehow, there's still this vibe that's common to all these bands that just convinces me that "yes, to a certain extent at least, these are nu-metal". it might be the focus on down-tuned power chords groove in some bands, the rap and hip hop influence on vocals, or the edgy and aggressive lyrical content in others, the 'street' fashion sense/crazy attires ...
all of these bands share at least SOME of the characteristics that define nu metal. it also happens that they all peaked in popularity around the same few years, 97-03 i guess ?

What other bands would you say sound like them?

often people have compared Sigur Ros to these guys :

i don't have a pretty strong opinion about this. there are similarities, but i still think Sigur Ros are easy to describe : Post Rock with some influences by traditional Icelandic music. there are probably (and hopefully) more people from Iceland releasing similar music :lol:

Latest posts

')