What Did I Just Buy? (Are Axis Pickups Really This Good?)

kleinenenten

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest, I can't see in those pics super well... I don't really know how you can mess up the volumes like that with a switch.

If there wasn't a switch, it would be like that because they might have been wired "normally" with terminal 1 as the signal from the pickup to the pot, 2 as the output from the pot and 3 as ground. This sends all signal to ground when the pot is minimized so each wired like this would function as parallel master volumes, and a simple fix could be switching what potentiometer terminals function as input and output. If you wire so that terminal 1 is the output, 2 is the signal from pickup and 3 is still ground, it will rather move the wiper from sending the pickup signal to the pot output and ground. As long as the ground is the same it would function as normal but leave the knobs to their respective pickups rather than sending all signal to ground when either is turned all the way down.

That might be worth a shot but again I don't think that's the issue if there is a switch, nor can I identify why you would just want 2 volumes if you have a switch. It almost sounds more like they just wired a tone pot to ground without a capacitor? Regardless, that's how you can foolproof the independent volumes if you want, but it also might be worth getting your buddy to put a tone knob in there with one volume.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll be honest - pretty much all of that is over my head. I can kind of solder, but I don't get the actual implications of what I'm doing. I just need the diagram and step by step stuff. Hence why I'm not messing with any of it! The second pot (farther away from the switch) does have a capacitor on it, so I DO think it WAS a tone pot at some point. But not anymore!

The eventual goal will be a single volume and a tone pot, as that's the standard and what I'm used to. But seeing as I run both on maximum a vast majority of the time, I'm in no rush. I'll spend that cash on some other more pertinent things first!

Thanks again for the help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
You can get solderless switches and pots. I use them on occasion for guitars where I want to try out different pickups quickly in.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I'm aware that pickups are not magical, and that they can certainly be removed and replaced with no loss of tone. I've done that before in a guitar with pickup rings. It was slightly challenging, but I did it. I've also tried to put springs in a guitar that needed them, that did NOT have pickup rings. That one I could not do. If any of you have any tips or tricks, I'm all ears. I'd love to be more competent at maintaining my gear, but the condescension is unnecessary. We were all newbies at one point. I'm actively trying to learn, and I know that many of you are much more knowledgeable on these subjects than I am.
Ignore way cool jr that's how he shows affection. Don't flirt back, you'll encourage him.
If you're thinking about having a tech rework the wiring you can probably ask them to check the pickups for you.
Idk if it were me I'd be happy to check 'em for ya and most techs I've worked with are nicer than I am lol.

I know what you mean with the springs being a pain in the ass; but if I can get it eventually, I'm sure you can too.
That said, if you aren't comfortable tinkering with 'em, who cares; leave 'em. You're right, knowing what they are won't make 'em sound any better. Personally I can't relate, the curiosity would kill me :lol:

Last edited:

Latest posts

')