What do you bedroom players use to play through?

• Thread starter electriceye
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Keel

Reaction score
Sound card ---> VST ---> Studio monitors. This is really the best setup if your just trying to jam along to some songs quietly. It's just so easy and cheap, especially if you already have a decent computer.

Side note what is that peavey amp? Me likey.

EDIT: my bad just saw the thread on that peavey. Sweeet

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
POD 2.0 bean into headphone. Patch 4D. For like 10 years. :lol: Or my Fryette Pittbull 50CL when I can crank it.

P-Ride

Reaction score
If you buy a decent audio interface, you have made a good move, no matter what path you go down.

It can be used with numerous VSTs.

If you decide to buy a huge valve amp, you can equally use the interface for recording that amp.

If shopping for gear from scratch, I would buy a Guitar, a laptop, and an audio interface ahead of buying anything else.

tender_insanity

Reaction score
Digitech GSP1101 when recording.

For noodling I've got the Gallien Krueger 250ML/2000CPL with a Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab. Usually I play with only the 250ML speakers. It's really loud :-o

Guitar%20Rig%2002-10-0216.jpg

laxu

Reaction score
Axe-Fx 2 into Genelec M040 monitors. Sounds huge!

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I've got that cheap line 6 thing you're talking about and it has served me fine for Just about 6 years now. I use positive grid bias and profiled my own amps with it.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I used a line 6 toneport DI for years (same as podxt models with all model packs) that I got for $99 back in college. Cool unit, still have it.

Ended up upgrading to an axe fx II, and it's worlds apart. So much better. It's cool to have a unit where every model sounds good, rather than just a few, with a bunch of basically unusable filler models (which line 6 really was).

To get the most out of it (or out of any amp, really) I think you need a speaker as headphones are a different dynamic, but headphones do work great with it.

DarthV

Reaction score
Kemper with a pair of studio monitors or 5150 III 50w into a mesa 2x12. I can get passable tones with the 5153 @ TV listening volumes, but it sounds so much better when it's louder. Rather use the Kemper for everyday living room use, it sounds great at any volume!

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Mark V/JCM 800 -> Suhr reactive load -> Interface -> DAW -> Cab Impulses.

Loadbox has two outs so I also run the second into a Lexicon MPX1 when I want to play with excessive amounts of reverb/delay, and then set it up in the DAW like a wet/dry/wet.

electriceye

Reaction score
I normally use an Axe-FX II and Matrix GT1000FX/cab or ATH-M50X headphones. Sometimes I use a Triple Rectifier if I want to shake the walls with tubes.

I have also been playing with an USB interface and NI Guitar Rig 5. This is pretty cool if you are only using headphones. Lots of presets, and you can jam with MP3s easily. If you just want to jam with headphones to MP3s, I definitely think looking at an interface and amp sim software is a nice way to go. If I didn't already own piles of gear and was starting today, I would consider that route.

That's all I'm looking for!

maggotspawn

Reaction score
6505+ or JSX halftacks. When I have to be quiet I use a GSP 1101. Also looking for a load box for my tube amps.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
GSP1101 and some Impulses. Does everything i want it to do.

Yup-yup.. :agreed:

In addition to that, I bought a cheap Pod X3 that I put into the loop so I can use those amps with IRs from the GSP. Recently though, I did get an audio interface because when you have recording software open, you can't use X-Edit to tweak your tone at the same time (it's just a limitation of the hardware because after all, it IS 10 years old).

Between the two though, it'll cover pretty much all the bases.

Paincakes

Reaction score
Torpedo Live with several different amp heads (Mesa Mark IV, Friedman Runt, Peavey 6505MH).

I used to use a Line 6 Pod 500HD, but wanted something more realistic. Considered a Kemper, but ultimately wanted to put my Mark IV to use, so the Torpedo Live was a game changer for me. I can use my real tube amps, not limited to a "snapshot" of an amp (Kemper profiles), totally quiet for recording. Never been happier!

vick1000

Reaction score
AX8->QSC GXD8->2xYamaha A15.

Just 'cause you are in a bedroom does not mean you have to keep it down.

I was using a pair of JBL LSR305s, they did really well for low volumes.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Personally I use a Hotone Mojo Diamond 90% of the time into my regular 2x12 vertical cab. Of course I am a clean amp player that uses pedals. However, the Heart Attack does a pretty convincing Recto tone and sounds great with the headphone jack as well (and doesn't require a speaker load).

You might want to look at the new Mooer preamp pedals if you want something cheap and flexible (as in can be used with a power amp for performance as well).

Otherwise, the Yamaha THR are great amps at low volume and with headphones. They have the added benefit of being able to be battery powered, super portable and make a good set of portable speakers.

The atomic amplifire is pretty great too, though a bit more expensive.

decoy205

Reaction score
I like this thread. It's great that there's so many low volume options out there. I'm in the camp that would love to avoid having to rely on computers for quiet late night practice or messing around. The torpedo live would be my first choice but I can't afford that right now.

I have a voxad50vt that's has a lot of effects and sounds decent at low volumes but I prefer tube sounds so I just picked up a Blackstar HT1 head. It's got the MP3 in, a mic simulated output, a variable impedance cab out and has a decent range of gain. Just went on sale at sweetwater for 180.

The new Torpedo Captor seems like a great solution for people in my situation. I really want to crank my 5150 this could help me get that going.

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
I have handful of guitars, but I play through Line 6 Helix Rack, then to my Studio Monitors (Event BAS 20/20).

But then again its my studio, and I am not a touring musician.

It is hooked up to my PC for recording, ReAmping, and such. But to play through my guitar wet signal just bypasses the PC and goes straight to the studio monitors (NO more latency than guitar=Helix=Headphones).

The PC is only being sent a dry signal, until I decide to do some ReAmping. (which I always mute before sending to output)

They are also bringing out Helix Native, which is a plugin version of Helix. ($400, but only $99 for registered Helix hardware owners) Which seriously expands the Helix platform for Helix studio owners.

')