What do you guys think of parker guitars?

• Thread starter joshc482
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

joshc482

Reaction score
im pretty much dead set on a parker deluxe fly. does anyone here own/played one? how are they?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I have one and I LOVE it. It is still the greatest guitar ive ever played. Once you play one, it will spoil everything else for you.

I love how lightweight they are, how AMAZING the carbon fiber fretboard feels, and how thin the neck is. :shred:

Giamatti

Reaction score
Horrible guitars... oh no wait, I actually mean the exact opposite of that. They are reinforced carbon fibre sex. GAS'd over a classic for too long, but by the time I had the money I had the chance to get a guitar that I couldn't pass up. We all know the way... :p DO IIIIIT!

park0496

Reaction score
Yes they are awesome guitars...I've owned a pre US Music Corp Fly deluxe and a later silverburst fly mojo. Both amazing players...

Did you do a search? There's tons of info/opinions already.

troyguitar

Reaction score
The Fly Deluxe I briefly owned 5 years ago was the best guitar I've ever played, by far. Nothing else has even come close. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to keep it back then and the prices have since doubled so I may never afford another one at this rate :lol:

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
The parker guitars are one of the most fun and great guitars that i had play ever, everything is awesome, i really preffer the classic ones, they have a thick growling sound (mahogany body).

:wavey:

pink freud

Reaction score
They are the Ferrari's of guitardom. Without the high maintenance costs.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
They look really cool and I'm dying to try one. Wasn't there talk of a parker 7 string at one point?

pink freud

Reaction score
They look really cool and I'm dying to try one. Wasn't there talk of a parker 7 string at one point?

Yes. The talk was that it was never going to happen :lol:

If you want a guitar that looks like a Parker with 7 strings check out Lootnick.

ephrion

Reaction score
I had a Parker Nitefly for a month or so. Sold it because I need 24 frets, and the pups weren't do anything for me.

But god damn that thing played amazingly.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I currently own:

1) 2000 Parker Stealth (basswood body, basswood neck, fixed bridge, Parker's short-lived "metal" model)
2) 1999 Parker Fly Classic in natural mahogany finish
3) 2004 Parker Fly Deluxe in mint burst finish
4) 2008 NiteFly-M
5) 1997 NiteFly v3 (maple body, maple neck)

and eventually, inevitably, I will end up with a Mojo (preferably a single-cut), an Artist (sitka spruce), and a Nylon Fly.

Be forewarned that this will be your fate too once you get your first Parker. Nothing else out there can touch them for playability. Lightweight with carbon fiber and stainless steel; it's heaven. Temperature and humidity do not affect them; they're always in tune when they come out of the case. The decade old ones don't have even a hint of fret wear; the frets are still perfectly rounded and mirror polished. I keep the action insanely low and they are just effortless to play. It feels like cheating.

Downsides: the DiMarzio pickups are good, but lower output than, eg, EMGs. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you'll need to boost and EQ tweak for real high gain stuff. You can easily switch out the pickups in NiteFlys but Flys have a non-standard route so you need to get pickups wound for them (supposedly Seymour Duncan and BKP at least will make Parker pickups for you if you call them). You can't just drop anything in there though.

And, of course, they're only 6-strings and it's likely to stay that way. All other 6-string guitars will seem obsolete to you once you go Parker, but you'll have to deal with something else for extended range goodness. The carbon-fiber, fan-fret Oni 7-string that's been posted here recently has me seriously drooling. It's the closest I've seen to an extended range Parker and I fear that I must have one someday.

Save yourself some money and get a used Fly though. Much cheaper and, with the stainless steel frets that don't wear down, they can really be as good as new. You can usually find Deluxes for around $1k on ebay. A bit more if it's mint condition or a rare finish, a bit less if you are OK with scratches and chips in the finish.

joshc482

Reaction score
i would like a high output pickup like a miracle man or something in the parker. i havent played one yet but i'm dying for one, after i get the deluxe i want to get a mojo with probably the quilt transpurple cuz the picture of the one on the website is beautiful. is the pickup like a medium output pickup? really to me it doesn't have to be ultra hot... but i guess i'll find out when i play one. thanks for the info.

ibanez254

Central Scrutinizer
Reaction score
I've played a 97' Nitefly and a 95' Classic and those were probably one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played, and the necks are just incredible.

troyguitar

Reaction score
i would like a high output pickup like a miracle man or something in the parker. i havent played one yet but i'm dying for one, after i get the deluxe i want to get a mojo with probably the quilt transpurple cuz the picture of the one on the website is beautiful. is the pickup like a medium output pickup? really to me it doesn't have to be ultra hot... but i guess i'll find out when i play one. thanks for the info.

They're sort of medium-hot. Not so hot that you can't get a clean tone, but not so weak that you can't do metal (unless you're running a 70's Marshall or something and need to drive the shit out of it).

joshc482

Reaction score
im thinking of checking out a jvm 210. the review says it has more gain than any other marshall before it. i haven't had a marshall since i was about 16 or so....im wanting a really high gain tone.... im going after a tone kinda like akercockes Chrononzon. im really really wanting a parker now they sound beyond good.

kherman

Reaction score
Very high quality crafted instruments.

My '98.

FlyDeluxe.jpg

That being said, there I things I really like and things I don't.

No heel.

Light weight.

Smoothest feeling trem.

Fishman piezos.

Dislikes:
Top horn jabs a little.

Lower cutaway not as deep as I prefer. Still hinders reach to the 24th fret. At least for me.

Compound radius fret board. 10-13. I prefer a straight 12 or 14. 12-16 compound isn't bad.

Dimarzio pickups. Bad. Even with high gain I still don't care for them. Clanky not beefy sounding.

Pre-fab bow built into fretboard. A lot of people don't realize this. But, yes, Parkers have a pre fab forward bow. Even though, ever so slight, it's still noticeable to me.
I like very, very little relief. Just enough to prevent buzzing. I can't achieve that with the Parker. Still has more bow than any of my other guitars.

Just like any guitar out there.
You have to way out the pros and cons and how they effect your overall preference.

I mainly use mine for the piezos.
And used it for the beginning of our song "The Gates".
http://www.heddatheband.com/TheGates(PP ReMix 2010).zip
Or stream it here.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=984571

Otherwise, I use my other guitars for everything else.

Just being honest.

')