What do you guys think?

• Thread starter Soulthief
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
I just wanna know what you guys think of my drummer.
Maybe some comment how to improve his skills and stuff.

cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Dynamics are the thing I think he most needs to improve on. He may be playing rock stuff but if he plays softer in the less heavy bits then the heavier bits can be attacked more or the accenting cymbals can jump out more.

The kick and snare bit from around 3 mins mark is cool. It seems to have more layers of depth than the other bits, so it seems more interesting.

I'd suggest possibly advising him to write some solo percussive music, as an exercise. I don't just mean a drum solo but something structured, with character which you can recognise as itself. I think it could help to make his beats fill a more characteristic role rather than being a beat which could have been nabbed from most any other song. The beats he plays aren't bad, they just don't seem to add anything to the character of what is being played. Ideally, a drum part will be as recognisable as the bassline, riff or vocal melody is. In my opinion, at least.

texshred777

Reaction score
+1 for dynamics.

Technique wise:

How schooled is he in rudiments? I started as a rudimental drummer and doing things like a sweep across multiple drums are much easier having the chops to pull off really clean double and triple strokes.

He appears to be using a lot of arm. He may want to try focusing on using fingers more and less wrist/arm. The sound of his strokes will be more consistent and the above mentioned(dynamics in particular) will be easier with that control. Injury is also less likely. You don't need that kind of stick height to get volume and velocity.

Edit:I'm not implying he's a bad drummer-far from it. Just a few suggestions from my experience that will really help him clean things up and make life easier.

oddcam

Reaction score
Your drummer is solid and his feet sound very even. Let him know you appreciate!

His biggest weakness is his hand technique when he plays drums other than the snare, hi-hat, and main crash (The slight left one). His hands sort of "flop" over, almost playing sideways.
He needs to widen his elbows so he can keep the overhand grip while hitting the side drums, particularly the ride cymbal. This will give him much more power and control in the long run.

Overall, I'd say he's better than 75% of the metal drummers I've seen play live. Not fancy, but solid. GJ mate.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
honestly, not bad. he looks pretty fluid in his playing. the timing isn't bad.

i personally can't stand the sound of coated heads. i'm all about the clear heads. much cleaner and crisper, as i think coated sounds muffled. however, this is a highly subjective opinion.

i can't really hear the song, but maybe tell him to go easier on the cymbal crashes. i always used crashes to accentuate a change up in a song, rather than be an actual part of the rhythm. i don't know the song you're playing, though, so maybe it works.

i will tell you, however, from very personal knowledge as a drummer first and guitarist second that telling a through-and-through drummer to watch his dynamics is a totally futile effort. :lol::lol: give it a shot, though. just don't expect a whole lot to happen. who knows, strangers things have definitely happened. :lol:

i bet that drum set is a REAL pain in the ass to put up and tear down, though. i definitely don't envy him.

all in all, i'd say there are about 1,000,000 worse drummers out there you could have playing for you. i think you've got a pretty decent one there.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
+1 for dynamics.

Technique wise:

How schooled is he in rudiments? I started as a rudimental drummer and doing things like a sweep across multiple drums are much easier having the chops to pull off really clean double and triple strokes.

He appears to be using a lot of arm. He may want to try focusing on using fingers more and less wrist/arm. The sound of his strokes will be more consistent and the above mentioned(dynamics in particular) will be easier with that control. Injury is also less likely. You don't need that kind of stick height to get volume and velocity.

Edit:I'm not implying he's a bad drummer-far from it. Just a few suggestions from my experience that will really help him clean things up and make life easier.

He has drumlesson for such a long time... I'm sure he is schooled with rudiments. Those things are basic stuff isn't it?
He know's he needs to work on his dynamics. This thread will encourage him to work on that even more i guess

Your drummer is solid and his feet sound very even. Let him know you appreciate!

His biggest weakness is his hand technique when he plays drums other than the snare, hi-hat, and main crash (The slight left one). His hands sort of "flop" over, almost playing sideways.
He needs to widen his elbows so he can keep the overhand grip while hitting the side drums, particularly the ride cymbal. This will give him much more power and control in the long run.

Overall, I'd say he's better than 75% of the metal drummers I've seen play live. Not fancy, but solid. GJ mate.

He knows we appreciate him.. he knows it all to well :lol:
He is a lefty, playing drums right handed.. maybe thats why he is almost playing sideways??

i bet that drum set is a REAL pain in the ass to put up and tear down, though. i definitely don't envy him.

It is a real pain to put it up and tearing it down.:agreed: Mostly we don't drag the whole thing with us, just use the backline but after we decided to film it we just wanted his own drumkit on film.
Besides that.. it looks pretty damn cool, 6-piece drumkit with drumrack and stuff :hbang:

EDIT:
My drummer is also reading this thead and he wants to thank you all for you comments and advice!

texshred777

Reaction score
... I'm sure he is schooled with rudiments. Those things are basic stuff isn't it?

Rudiments CAN be basic stuff, and should be one of the first things a drummer learns, sadly that's not always the case.

Awesome, I'm glad he's not an obstinate drummer and will listen to constructive criticism. I love the attitude.

')