What do you hope to achieve in 2011?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abswisher

Reaction score
I'm joining one of the best local bands in Pittsburgh. Pretty stoked for that.

That's about it.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
DISREGARD MUSIC,
ACQUIRE WOMEN.

In seriousness, I would like to:
Do better in college,
Write this album,
Perform live (a lot),
Master the Axe-Fx along with recording shit,
Get a gf,
keep a gf,
not drink (a lot),
and become...
MINT BERRY CRUNCH!

Pretty much anything repeats I think we can all agree
we must achieve!

TASTE THE CRUNCH.

Meinrad

Fear the Engineer
Reaction score
^Does he happen to work for MIT?

No, I'm the owner of a private drafting and design company, currently working for a larger drafting company which works for FANUC Robotics. I'm what's called an "engineer by equivelancy" - meaning that I'm neither degreed nor licensed as an engineer, but I've demonstrated sufficient skill and work experience to be regarded as an engineer, as long as a fully licensed engineer supervises me and signs off on my work. It's a hassle for the companies that work with me... especially since half the time, the licensed engineers supervising me don't understand what I'm doing... but I've already made huge improvements to the efficiency of many older robot designs - some previously obsolete I modified to surpass new models!

Oh, speaking of which, that is another goal I have for 2011... I want to show people that a machine deemed obsolete is usually not inferior to a newer model, the newer model is just making more money for corporations. In fact obsolete machines usually work better than new models... anyone who has run a CAD program in Microsoft DOS knows it works much better than in Windows.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I've got some big plans for 2011. I'll be returning to Missouri for work, and I'm going to take advantage of the complete "lack o' shit to do" there......

First and foremost, my biggest goal is to finally quit my biggest vice; smokeless tobacco (aka dip). Shit is so bad for you. I started doing it when I was 14 or 15 because I was too stupid to know any better. I've actually "quit" a couple of times (didn't do it from the time I was 19-20, and a few more times I've quit for a couple of months), yet I always get pulled back in to the habit. It's difficult because everyone in the warehouse attached to my office does it, and in Missouri it's dirt cheap (Copenhagen is <$3 per can whereas in Houston it's $6).

But that's all part of my general plan to get healthy again. I've been lifting pretty religiously again, now that the holidays are basically over I plan to start jogging again everyday (end goal is 3 miles continuous in under 20 min, don't make fun, I'm a big guy (6'3" 240lbs) and that would be a phenomenal time for me). I'm cutting out soda's and fast food too.

I also want to get my mind healthy again. Since I've been out of school, I feel like I haven't really "learned" anything new. Just a set of repetitive tasks for work. So I've bought Rosetta Stone and plan on finally learning to speak Spanish (can already read in Spanish well enough, I'm very slow at it but can figure it out without a translator tool). I've also made a vow of no TV (except the BCS Championship game :D). I also picked up a couple of good books today (Vonnegut, Huxley and Joyce). It's been a long time since I read regularly.

I'm also committing myself to finally spending serious time developing my knowledge of music theory (open to suggestions for guitar-centric theory books, I already have Guitar Grimoire). I'll also be bringing some old favorites with me, Petrucci's "Wild Stringdom" and "Rock Discipline." Haven't regularly practiced from those two in several years, time to revisit and build up the chops again.

In a nutshell, my plan is to keep my brain and body from turning to mush while I'm stuck in that cultural dead zone that is Sedalia, MO. I need to do something to better myself each day.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. Deal with my back issues
2. Get into ubc
3. Get a job
4. Find a band
5. Buy a cab

Unfortunately this all depends on how my back turns out. :(

Second option:

cyborg.jpg

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Get a live band going.
Get more recorded for the various projects I'm thrown myself into.
Have at least one indie-style release.
Get my BWOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAA bass rig finalized.
Buy some more pedals.

Uh... and stuff.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
No, I'm the owner of a private drafting and design company, currently working for a larger drafting company which works for FANUC Robotics. I'm what's called an "engineer by equivelancy" - meaning that I'm neither degreed nor licensed as an engineer, but I've demonstrated sufficient skill and work experience to be regarded as an engineer, as long as a fully licensed engineer supervises me and signs off on my work. It's a hassle for the companies that work with me... especially since half the time, the licensed engineers supervising me don't understand what I'm doing... but I've already made huge improvements to the efficiency of many older robot designs - some previously obsolete I modified to surpass new models!

Oh, speaking of which, that is another goal I have for 2011... I want to show people that a machine deemed obsolete is usually not inferior to a newer model, the newer model is just making more money for corporations. In fact obsolete machines usually work better than new models... anyone who has run a CAD program in Microsoft DOS knows it works much better than in Windows.

I was actually referring to the "idea thief." MIT is currently (and has been for some time) developing a product that sounds quite similar to what you described.

Goatfork

Reaction score
Finish new rig.
Play many gigs with band before it ends, first one already booked on the 8th of Jan.
Loose some weight (always on the list, right?)
Successfully move to the new city and get college going.

Jaaaaamie

Wasteman Scumbag
Reaction score
I plan to log off Facebook and step out into the real world to see how it's changed over the past 5 years

IDLE

Reaction score
1) Get a job in CA.
2) Get apartment in CA.
3) Chill in CA.

I have a one track mind and this has been proving more difficult than I thought it would.

Reaction score
I've revised my rig ideas as follows, and it is my new goal.
Jackson DKMG w/ EMG 81-X and 85-X -> Fryette 2:50:2/ ENGL E580 -> Axe-FX Ultra -> Custom Avatar :D
It will be mine!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Correction/serious answer : a beard. That is all I want.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
1) Get a job in CA.
2) Get apartment in CA.
3) Chill in CA.

I have a one track mind and this has been proving more difficult than I thought it would.

4) Go broke in CA

Seriously, have fun with that whole "cost of living" thing. :lol:

IDLE

Reaction score
4) Go broke in CA

Seriously, have fun with that whole "cost of living" thing. :lol:

Haha yeah, I'm okay with that though. I'm just really not happy in MN and CA just seems like the place to go when your too weird for anywhere else. I plan on going cheap and jut sharing a room with other people. The good thing is that it has a large biotech industry that I want to get into. If I could do that I think I would be doing pretty well... If... :lol:...

The problem is no one calls me back for jobs and I want to have one before I move. I have the degree but it seems pretty worthless now days :(.

WickedSymphony

Reaction score
Transfer to a 4-year University
NGD
Spend more time practicing
Record more shit (all the little riffs I have laying around need to turn into full songs)
Learn Objective-C
Actually start exercising so I can be a bear like trooch. Well, maybe a baby bear. :lol:

Latest posts

')