What do you play right after you plug in?

• Thread starter Chalupacabra
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
Guitar...

Haha no, I usually start with an arpeggio to get my fingers ready then start riffing out some new licks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I usually end up playing some Rage Against The Machine

thedonal

Reaction score
Don't really know- normally a chord on clean channel to check the volume.

Asides from that, I just noodle really, unless I have something in mind. Could be chords or could be lead.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
I just do some chromatic scales up and down the neck to get my fingers warmed up.

GXPO

Reaction score
Normally I warm up then play the fun twiddly bit towards the end of the Fade to Black solo. I also recently started using the warm ups from John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline". Trying to make my practice sessions more productive. Nice thread.

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score
Lately, it's been the Deftones for me. I've got 4 guitars, so it all depends.

Drop C# - Headup, Minerva
Drop C - Beware, Back to School, Digital Bath, or anything on White Pony
B Standard - Rocket Skates
G# Standard - Hexagram

Remission

Reaction score
Any drop tuning? Riffs I've come up with (1 of 3).

Std tuning (e, d, c, etc.)? Snowblind by sabbath or crystal mountain by death, depending how ambitious I am.

Ninjahat

Reaction score
Find a nice comfortable place and play...WITH MYSELF DURHURHUR! But in all srsness, I play bleed/various licks/sweeps or jam on something I'm writing for band or for TAFE.

broj15

Reaction score
usually a little simple minor scale low string riffage and some 3 and 4 string sweeps, alternating between major and minor to dial in the syncronization between my hands. Then i like to go into some syncopated stuff that requires both hands to work together to mute everything properly to get it all as tight as i can.

myrtorp

Jiggywiggy
Reaction score
I usually start up with some chugging, be it my 6, 7 or 8! Own ideas or other songs.
One song I like to play is Atrocity evolution by Amoral!

When Im warmed up I do some Luguta taps.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Usually the very first thing I do is chug on my low B for about 5 seconds to see how I like my tone that day. After I'm done checking my tone and adjusting sitting position, I start warming up the right hand. Lately, I have two licks that I've been using to warm up the picking hand:

One of them is the lick in the chorus of the song "Sioux City Sarsaparilla" by Alexi Laiho. That one lick is super fun to play, and it's pretty challenging for the right hand. I only got around to mastering it about 2 weeks ago.

The other lick I use to warm up are the alternate-picked arpeggios from the beginning of "The Glass Prison" by Dream Theater. Now THAT is some challenging stuff... I still can't play it up to speed, but I'm getting there.

After that I start playing whatever pops into my mind; be it some noodling around, original riffs that I've made, or songs that I know. These days I've been playing a lot of Nevermore (Born, in particular) and Jeff Loomis stuff.

And I think I forgot how to play 6 strings :lol: every time I grab one I don't know what to play :lol:.

Also, +1 for luguta taps.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
My 7, usually some Born Of Osiris stuff or one of my riffs.

My 6, some Periphery or Born Of Osiris

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
Warm up with some solos (easy ones) like Hearts Burst Into Fire by BFMV, Abigail by King Diamond, assorted Seether solos, jam off some Slipknot and MRH, then i just play random chords/power chords/barre chords till i find a cool riff

youshy

Curly-man
Reaction score
Always starts with 'chugga chugga' to see if everything is right, then few mine riffs and some random scales wanking.

')