What do you think about HATE ETERNAL?

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think about HATE ETERNAL?

• I like it!

Votes: 56 72.7%
  • It's crappy...

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Not bad but not my style.

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • What the hell is that?

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmmm...I've always thought they were just good as opposed to being great. I may need to listen again, but none of their songs have ever really stuck with me.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rutan is touring with Morbid Angel right now; the Domination lineup playing nothing post-Domination, I'm salivating at the mere thought of it.

(as for Hate Eternal, they're beaten only by Deeds Of Flesh in the "cure for insomnia" stakes, hehe)

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
they opened up at the Nevermore - Arch Enemy show, and I wasn't impressed. His amp was waaay too overloaded, and he wasn't a very clean player. Also, every song they played sounded the exact same.:lol:

But, I'll go check out their studio work.:yesway: As far as the live show is, it's good to mosh to it.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I'll agree with David on the "Songs sound the same" thing, but I am still a huge fan of them. The energy in the music is amazing, and I love the riffs. "I, Monarch" is a badass record. Although they may sound a little too GRIND GRIND GRIND AAARGH ALL THE TIME BLASTEBEATSAT8000BPM AARGH at first listen, they have a good, subtle sense of dynamics in the songwriting.

Oh, and Rutan's vocals are just downright frightening. Jeez, that guy sounds mean.

2powern

Maiden England
Reaction score
Now that Derek has left, he should just disband H.E. and rejoin Morbid Angel full time.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I, Monarch is probably the best thing they've done \m/

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
2powern said:
Now that Derek has left, he should just disband H.E. and rejoin Morbid Angel full time.

I am partial to agree with this, since Roddy's sense of dynamics in a full-on blast context really made the band to me.

Plus: COME ON!! Rutan and Azagthoth on the same stage! Pure awesome!:shred:

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
First off, my opinions on this band are largely influenced by my drumming tastes.

Conquering the Throne - probably my favorite. Not as fast as the Roddy records. More low-end. Straight forward brutality. It's chuck full of nonstop body shots, while Roddy's records are like a storm of jabs to the face.

King of all Kings - put me to sleep

I, Monarch - Probably just too extreme. It's almost white noise with everything going on. You should watch Roddy's youtubes of him tracking the parts to these songs, in their entirety. He's insane. He does creative and crazy things while doing insane blasts with any 2 limbs --- it just makes me want to puke! Problem is... when you close your eyes, you can hardly hear it. So it's almost like "what's the point?"

That's kinda why I favor CtT. To me, brutal doesn't have to be complicated. Roddy, in defense of the nonstop blasting criticism, has often stated that the point of their band was to make the most harshest, extreme, punishing music possible. They acheive it perfectly... but it's not my cup of tea, so I put on CtT.

IM is growing on me though... especially after watching his studio tracking.

I feel like Erik's riffing on HE is kinda.... well, maybe too extreme to tell what's all happening. The production doesn't help. I wish he had filmed his hands in the studio while he was recording his parts. Like Roddy, I'm sure I'd like IM a whole lot more. But right now, I feel like Roddy outshines him.

Finally, Tony Norman - who did Morbid's US dates, is an awesome player. He interacts on the stage and gets very personal with the front row with his sneers, putting his headstock out for us to touch, etc.

I could be wrong, but my opinions of what Rutan brought to MA were pretty much some melodicism in the lead playing and maybe more militant sounding riffing..... I never cared to check songwriting credits so i could be waaaay off there. But the part about melodic leads was pretty obvious.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
Erik kills he is now up to his full potential not being in Morbid angel...Erik plays well for a 6 stringer:agreed: ....production plays alot into H.E. tones....but Erik is still an Excellent Player....i think the changes between each cd of H.E.'s is the fact of the revolving door of band members there is no consistant band input...but then again it is Erik's machine...:lol:

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Oogadee Boogadee said:
First off, my opinions on this band are largely influenced by my drumming tastes.
Conquering the Throne - probably my favorite. Not as fast as the Roddy records. More low-end. Straight forward brutality. It's chuck full of nonstop body shots, while Roddy's records are like a storm of jabs to the face.
King of all Kings - put me to sleep
I, Monarch - Probably just too extreme. It's almost white noise with everything going on. You should watch Roddy's youtubes of him tracking the parts to these songs, in their entirety. He's insane. He does creative and crazy things while doing insane blasts with any 2 limbs --- it just makes me want to puke! Problem is... when you close your eyes, you can hardly hear it. So it's almost like "what's the point?"
That's kinda why I favor CtT. To me, brutal doesn't have to be complicated. BOLT FUCKIN' THROWER!!!!!!:metal: Roddy, in defense of the nonstop blasting criticism, has often stated that the point of their band was to make the most harshest, extreme, punishing music possible. They acheive it perfectly... but it's not my cup of tea, so I put on CtT.
IM is growing on me though... especially after watching his studio tracking.
I feel like Erik's riffing on HE is kinda.... well, maybe too extreme to tell what's all happening. The production doesn't help. I wish he had filmed his hands in the studio while he was recording his parts. Like Roddy, I'm sure I'd like IM a whole lot more. But right now, I feel like Roddy outshines him.
Finally, Tony Norman - who did Morbid's US dates, is an awesome player. He interacts on the stage and gets very personal with the front row with his sneers, putting his headstock out for us to touch, etc.
I could be wrong, but my opinions of what Rutan brought to MA were pretty much some melodicism in the lead playing and maybe more militant sounding riffing..... I never cared to check songwriting credits so i could be waaaay off there. But the part about melodic leads was pretty obvious.

I've only heard I, Monarch so far, but by God I want more. The thing I feel Rutan brings to MA, is the more Experimental side of it. For instance, he wrote "Hatework", which is an atypical Morbid Angel song to say the least.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of Eric Rutan's work ever since Morbid Angel's Domination first came out. Since then, i've heard very little Hate Eternal here and there. I'll have to check some more of their stuff out. :agreed:

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I love Hate Eternal, but Derek Roddy is their downfall, his drumming while amazingly fast, is also mindnumbingly oe-dimensional, and this is coming from guy who likes Blast beawt drummers.

I like to see what Hate Eternal would sound lke if they had say, Nile's drummer, or Morbid Angel's for that matter.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Oogadee Boogadee said:
I, Monarch - Probably just too extreme. It's almost white noise with everything going on.

I actually find it way more accessable than King Of All Kings...

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
^ No you're not. Extreme doesn't have to mean one dimensional.

I was listening to Messian's 'Quartet for the End of Time' last night, and that has the kind of emotional impact that most death metal bands would sell their families into slavery for.

Has anyone heard Eric Rutan's 'other' band, Alas? Sort of proggy-melodic metal with a female singer. He's actually a far more versatile musician than he gets credit for. His phrasing and melodic sense are great.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
I really dig 'em, but they're definitely one-dimensional.

Derek Roddy is a fuckin' beast though - that guy is INSANE. The 16th's kick pattern while alternating between hats and kick is just mind boggling - pay attention to the stereo hat chicks on the intro to Faceless Ones and I, Monarch.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, this stuff is the real "progressive metal".

Latest posts

')