What Do You Want to See More of in the ERG Market?

• Thread starter Bearitone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
You could buy the caparison apple horn 8...
https://www.thomann.de/de/caparison_apple_horn_8_ef.htm?sid=7ef9f69d2a9b0863bfdc36198c84a09b
13049414.jpg

Holy shit I didn't know this was a thing :wub3:

Bearitone

Reaction score
TT is one of those things thats great on paper but falls short in reality. That guitar minus TT would be cool.

Would buy the Schecter, but i sold my old one because the shape and glossiness are horrible. Also, 27" > 28" for 8s

How does it fall short?

buriedoutback

Reaction score
I'd like more quality basic, bare-bone 8 strings (V's specifically! and Explorers).
Single pickup, hard tail bridge and locking tuners. Pick whatever color you want, but I want flat black with no inlays ;)

Knightro Guitars spec'd me out a very simple, stripped-down, black V that looked incredible... I just couldn't afford it. God Damn it was awesome looking.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does it fall short?

Because, at least for me, the difference in sound of a TT instrument vs standard fret isn't noticeable, especially under distortion. Plus, if your other guitar(s) bass arent TT, the intonation between the instruments will be off. The upcharge for it, plus the cost of possibly refreting or working on them would be higher.

However, to the untrained eye, having TT makes you look like a super intelligent muscian of the future. Some people like it, which is fine, I've no issue with it, I just haven't seen a need for it personally.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Because, at least for me, the difference in sound of a TT instrument vs standard fret isn't noticeable, especially under distortion. Plus, if your other guitar(s) bass arent TT, the intonation between the instruments will be off. The upcharge for it, plus the cost of possibly refreting or working on them would be higher.

However, to the untrained eye, having TT makes you look like a super intelligent muscian of the future. Some people like it, which is fine, I've no issue with it, I just haven't seen a need for it personally.

Ah. Never considered the effect of having to play with other peopl too

Reaction score

Well put. The fret maintenance alone, over time, would probably be enough to make me reconsider especially given the initial up front cost of the instrument

Bearitone

Reaction score
Well put. The fret maintenance alone, over time, would probably be enough to make me reconsider especially given the initial up front cost of the instrument

The way I understand it TT frets are harder than nickel and softer than stainless.

Considering nickel frets need a level+crown once every... decade (i think), and stainless can last for basically the life of the guitar, The TT frets likely seldom need maintenance

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thing to see if anyone's said it, but when is Jackson gonna give us a 7 string Kelly (again)? They've done all the other shapes lately. Well just Rhoads and Warrior, but still.

Aliascent

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thing to see if anyone's said it, but when is Jackson gonna give us a 7 string Kelly (again)? They've done all the other shapes lately. Well just Rhoads and Warrior, but still.

7 string Crimson Swirl Kelly with maple board. I'll buy it instantly.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Probably if/when Jeff Loomis moves back to 7s full time. At least for the near future. He's the only artist I can see precipitating that outside another artist switching to the Kelly shape.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Then the waiting game begins. So many reason to love Jeff. And if he makes that happen that'll be another one to add to the list.

Reaction score
The way I understand it TT frets are harder than nickel and softer than stainless.

Considering nickel frets need a level+crown once every... decade (i think), and stainless can last for basically the life of the guitar, The TT frets likely seldom need maintenance

Looks like they're cast in silicon bronze
http://www.truetemperament.com/faq/

kisielk

Reaction score
The new (Nov 2018) TT frets are stainless. See description on the fingerboards page of the True Temperament website.
I think the FAQ simply hasn't been updated. In their TT posts on IG Strandberg has been advertising them as stainless as well.

As far as the sound of TT, IMO it's even *more* noticeable under distortion than without. Adding distortion to your signal adds more higher order harmonics of what is already present. If the original harmonics are out of tune you will get even more out of tune harmonics when the sound is distorted.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
More fan fret, multi-scale instruments with a very low perpendicular fret (9th or lower). It drives me nuts when I play a fan fret instrument with a 12th fret perpendicular and a really awkward feel in first position.

Bearitone

Reaction score
It appears 9th fret parallel is pretty popular. Have there been any production guitars with a parallel lower than that? (8th? 7th?)

Do any manufacturers say why they put the parallel where they did?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
It appears 9th fret parallel is pretty popular. Have there been any production guitars with a parallel lower than that? (8th? 7th?)

Do any manufacturers say why they put the parallel where they did?

Strandberg sometimes uses the first. 9th for comfort. 7th is sometimes used. 12th is doodoo