What Does a "Workhorse Guitar" Mean to You?

guitaardvark

Reaction score
I see this phrase used to describe everything from Squiers to PRS Cores. Personally, it's kind of lost all meaning because of this, but I'm curious what it means to you.

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
It depends what do you mean by "work"?

For live setup - most stable in tuning and with good sound.
For studio - best setting in the mix =/= not always the best sounding overall
For writing - the guitar that you play the most and it inspires you to write new stuff.

Last edited:

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
Usually I think of midrange guitars around $1000 dollars that hold tune well, have impressive tone, aren’t too oranately pretty because it is expected to get beat up over a long time due to a lot of use. It’s super subjective, of course, but that’s my take.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
To me, a work horse is well built, sturdy guitar, with minimal features (like one bridge humbucker and a volume knob) and no fancy aesthetics.

Basically something that will get the job done, and done well, without all the bells and whistles we’ve come to think of as “standard”

Bearitone

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to add.
To me a work horse should be between $400 to $650

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to add.
To me a work horse should be between $400 to $650

I guess my s2 that i happily dragged across north america is out, even though it checks all the boxes. Ah well!

I get what you mean but I wouldnt rule out more expensive guitars.

I think we all think of a workhorse as a guitar we can trust.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always took it to mean something well built, and has everything you need with very little that you don't. I don't feel price really plays into that.

Think of it as the guitar version of a work truck. No fancy paint job, wood paneling on the inside or leather seats, just what you need to get the job done and built to be reliable.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
To me, it could mean 2 things:
  1. A super simple, no-frills guitar. This is a claw hammer. You can get a lot of things done with a hammer, if you're not super picky about the end result...but it'll get the job done (ever use the claw of a hammer as a flat head screw driver? Ever use a hammer to break a hole in OSB when you didn't have a hole saw handy?) It could either be something nice and made well but with simple options, or a "beater". That old HH Schecter with the tree-trunk neck, horrible abalone purfling and flame inlays, that has the strap button relocated because it pulled out of the other hole, and one of the tuners doesn't match because you needed to fix it in a pinch, etc.
  2. A guitar that can do everything. This is a Leatherman. If you go on tour and only want to bring one guitar with you, it's the one with the most knobs and switches to let you cover the broadest spectrum. Maybe it's has split coils, or HSS pickups, maybe a phase switch and piezo, etc. Also, no-frills in terms of aesthetic upgrades...no flamed koa tops, no custom inlays).
Again, in either scenario, it's one that gets a lot of miles, that you aren't afraid to lose/get stolen/damage, like maybe some others you own. I've got a $4k koa Taylor which I play at home, and maybe small events where I could keep it with me at all times...and I've also got a shitty chinese Taylor knock-off, which is the one I'd bring to a club gig.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Pretty much my main guitar, which is my Gibson Les Paul. Nice thing is that it's got some added versatility with a coil-split and Floyd on it.

Descent

Reaction score
^ last 2 posters before me seem to have the right idea.

For me that is Eddie's stripe guitar, Yngwie's worn out and beat up #1 Strat, SRVs strat, and so forth.

In my case it would be my LTD M-1000 as I've done quite a few gigs with that one and it has taken a beating here and there :)

Bearitone

Reaction score
I guess my s2 that i happily dragged across north america is out, even though it checks all the boxes. Ah well!

I get what you mean but I wouldnt rule out more expensive guitars.

I think we all think of a workhorse as a guitar we can trust.

Just sayin I don’t see why you’d “have” to pay more than that to get something reliable to gig with for most styles of music. If we’re talking brand new, I’d say like $850 tops.

If I’m looking at guitars over that range I know I’m not looking for a reliable tool to complete a job. Im shopping for a new toy. And that’s okay!