What does everyone use for drawing up plans and/or mock-ups?

• Thread starter Mr Wright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cad
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Wright

Reaction score
I'm slowly getting closer to attempting my first build and want to start drawing up a plan with actual dimensions and all that, but when it comes to putting pencil to paper I have the artistic skills of a drunk toddler.

I'd like to try something digital instead.

Any recommendations? What does everyone here use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ilmari

Reaction score
Photoshop for mockups, CorelDraw / Illustrator / AutoCAD for blueprints.

Mr Wright

Reaction score
AutoCAD is fairly pricey isn't it?

I haven't heard of Illustrator.

I've seen a few people mention Google Sketchup in some threads now too.

quoenusz

Reaction score
I use AutoCAD, it's really usefull. You can draw almost anything with that program. :)

explosivo

Reaction score
AutoCAD is fairly pricey isn't it?

I haven't heard of Illustrator.

I've seen a few people mention Google Sketchup in some threads now too.
Yes. But its also one of the most valuable tools in my shop, too. I use it for everything from mockups and design work to drawing tooling and fixtures. One of the best investments ever.

There are, of course, cheaper alternatives to AutoDesk out there, too ;)

wintersun

Reaction score
I use Xara Designer Pro.. its mainly a vector program with very intuitive interface that I use for everything I do. And I do graphic design for living. I prefer it over Adobe products cos it covers them almost entirely, and has a faster and more intelligent interface.

I also use PS, but only for manipulating and editing images. Illustrator is too slow for me.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
There are free student versions of AutoCAD. Identical to the full version, just prints with a watermark.

There is also Sketchup which is a great free CAD tool

Mr Wright

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback!

When you guys are saying AutoCAD do you mean the actual Autodesk AutoCAD that starts at $4,000 USD? :eek: I'm sure that is a part of why all the guitars I see made on the forum look so damn good!

I can see that program is definitely the industry standard, but I think for my purposes it is too much in both cost and features.
Has anyone used alternatives like TurboCAD or DesignCAD? They are much much cheaper.

Also I've been reading that Sketchup is great tool for visualising a design, but it isn't great when strict dimensions are needed. Has anyone found this to be the case?

I think I need something to visualize from a aesthetic standpoint for the body and headstock shape and a way to draft the scale/neck/neck angle/bridge-nut-pickup heights accurately so I actually manage to make a playable instrument.
These don't necessarily have to be on the same file/drawing.
I suppose if I wanted to be cheap I could dream up shapes in Sketchup and hand draft the measurements for the other stuff on paper against a straightedge so my drunk-toddler artistic ability doesn't show through.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I was trained on AutoCAD, but I use TurboCAD at work. For your purpose, I really would not recommend it. It is much simpler, but not nearly as flexible. In my opinion, its interface is not as well suited for 3D modelling. To be honest, I actually REALLY hate it, but I've gotten used to it.

I don't understand how Sketchup isn't great in applications with strict dimensions. They do have different templates based on scale of your drawing. I'd recommend Sketchup over TurboCAD based on the fact that its free.

I'd still recommend the free student version of AutoCAD over all though.

BlacKat Guitars

Reaction score
Mockups:
1. Draw shapes in Illustrator
2. Import all vector shapes to Photoshop and manipulate layers with vector masks for mockups. Here is an example mockup.
15.jpg

We use AutoCAD for actual production design (CNC programming).

Necromagnon

Reaction score
I personnaly use Inkscape, as it's free. But I don't really succeed in having a good rendering such as lights, 3D shapes, etc.

I've seen recently a 20 parts tutorial on youtube about guitars rendering using photoshop, here's the 1st vid:

I still didn't try it but I will do so soon!

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
SketchUp.

Free. Easy to use. Exact 1:1 2D printouts for templates.

OfArtAndArsenal

Reaction score
I like sketchup. Its pretty easy to learn, though not nearly as flexible as AUTOcad. I've had trouble getting some angles/arcs to line up. Maybe its just me.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
PENCIL AND POASTERBOARD HOME SLICE!!!

actually in all honestly I start by shaping it in microsoft paint then transfer that to cardstock or cardboard of some kind and use a combination of pens, pencils, straight edges, rulers, analog dial calipers, protractors and various other things to finalize the design. Cant go wrong with a full size mock up to check your work against.

')