What does the pickup selectors do on (stock) guitars with Sustainers?

• Thread starter 7deadlysins666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm assuming coil split and/or phase? Can't find anything that specifies. Considering putting one in an RG but not sure what to do with the blade switch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Fernandes Sustainer and Sustainiac humbucker pickups are also plain magnetic neck pickups too, so they switch like normal.

Reaction score
You must consider what brands allows what options.

Fernandez and Sustainiac have more or less the same features when not in the sustaining mode. The Veiz Sustainer - https://www.facebook.com/pickupveyzsustainerstore - that is spamming the Ibanez facebook groups is different and I think their Driver cannot work as an Active pickup.

Both Fernandez AND Sustainiac systems can use the Driver (the pickup replacement part) as an ACTIVE pickup. I'm not familiar with the Fernandez system, but the Sustainiac can deliver 4 different tones: Boosted or Unboosted and Bright or Full. This is not clear on the Sustainiac's web page nor in their install instructions, but I have email confirmation from them AND managed to make it work in my fretless guitar. They advertise the Full humbucker sound or the Single Coil sound. The 1st is achieved with the Boosted and Full options engaged and the second with the Unboosted and Bright options active. These 2 parallel options can be combined in 1 DPDT switch since they'll each use only one row of the switch and as so, they also can be separated in 2 different switches, so to achieve 4 different tones for the neck pickup. Sustainiac only suggests in their wiring schemes and texts the humbucker/single sounds options...

Both Fernandez and Sustainiac's systems, in SUSTAIN MODE, can work in the FUNDAMENTAL, MIX or HARMONIC modes. The Sustainiac's also has some extra options in the mix mode, but those didn't really work for me (or I couldn't make them work or I couldn't understand the sound difference...?). I don't know if the Veiz system has these options.

You can mix an Active and a Passive pickup only in PARALLEL, meaning that neck+bridge option is achievable in parallel mode ONLY. However you can mix any of the 4 sounds that the driver delivers in pickup mode with any possible sounds the bridge pickup might have.

... and as you may be aware, Fernandez filed for bankruptcy, so getting their Sustainer might be a bit difficult. The Sustainiac's web site is a labyrinth and in need for a complete restructure for the last 20+ years, but they are solid as a brand and customer service... or were 12+ years ago...

So, replying directly to your question, the selector switch will select options on the Active Pickup mode. Depending on switch type (generically 3 positions) you'll have
1 - Bridge pickup in full humbucking mode
2 - Bridge + Neck (parallel mix only)
3 - Neck pickup in "full humbucker mode" as described above.

If you'll use a 5 way switch, be sure to use a super switch type, so to access the different sound options on the Sustainer Pickup Mode if you're going with either Fernandez or Sustainiac...

Last edited:
Reaction score
You must consider what brands allows what options.

Fernandez and Sustainiac have more or less the same features when not in the sustaining mode. The Veiz Sustainer - https://www.facebook.com/pickupveyzsustainerstore - that is spamming the Ibanez facebook groups is different and I think their Driver cannot work as an Active pickup.

Both Fernandez AND Sustainiac systems can use the Driver (the pickup replacement part) as an ACTIVE pickup. I'm not familiar with the Fernandez system, but the Sustainiac can deliver 4 different tones: Boosted or Unboosted and Bright or Full. This is not clear on the Sustainiac's web page nor in their install instructions, but I have email confirmation from them AND managed to make it work in my fretless guitar. They advertise the Full humbucker sound or the Single Coil sound. The 1st is achieved with the Boosted and Full options engaged and the second with the Unboosted and Bright options active. These 2 parallel options can be combined in 1 DPDT switch since they'll each use only one row of the switch and as so, they also can be separated in 2 different switches, so to achieve 4 different tones for the neck pickup. Sustainiac only suggests in their wiring schemes and texts the humbucker/single sounds options...

Both Fernandez and Sustainiac's systems, in SUSTAIN MODE, can work in the FUNDAMENTAL, MIX or HARMONIC modes. The Sustainiac's also has some extra options in the mix mode, but those didn't really work for me (or I couldn't make them work or I couldn't understand the sound difference...?). I don't know if the Veiz system has these options.

You can mix an Active and a Passive pickup only in PARALLEL, meaning that neck+bridge option is achievable in parallel mode ONLY. However you can mix any of the 4 sounds that the driver delivers in pickup mode with any possible sounds the bridge pickup might have.

... and as you may be aware, Fernandez filed for bankruptcy, so getting their Sustainer might be a bit difficult. The Sustainiac's web site is a labyrinth and in need for a complete restructure for the last 20+ years, but they are solid as a brand and customer service... or were 12+ years ago...

So, replying directly to your question, the selector switch will select options on the Active Pickup mode. Depending on switch type (generically 3 positions) you'll have
1 - Bridge pickup in full humbucking mode
2 - Bridge + Neck (parallel mix only)
3 - Neck pickup in "full humbucker mode" as described above.

If you'll use a 5 way switch, be sure to use a super switch type, so to access the different sound options on the Sustainer Pickup Mode if you're going with either Fernandez or Sustainiac...
That's perfect, exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks! It'll be going in a 7 string so I think Sustainiac or Veyz are my only options. I had no idea that the Sustainiac was also a neck pickup.

Reaction score
That's perfect, exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks! It'll be going in a 7 string so I think Sustainiac or Veyz are my only options. I had no idea that the Sustainiac was also a neck pickup.
Good to know this info was what you were looking for. I've never messed with the Veiz sustainer nor the Fernandez, but the Sustainiac works good enough (it's not perfect, but then, I'm no electrical engineer, so it might be my fault here).

Let me know if you have more questions about this.

Latest posts

')