What Does Your Job Do For You?

• Thread starter Konfyouzd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
My job is

Laid back
extremely laid back (Seriously i'm at work right now)
Coworkers and owners/managers kickass
Most of the customers are pretty ok to pretty awesome.

although
Its doesn't pay much (Though my bills get paid and I have food on the table)
It never closes so no "snow days" or anything like that.
Many customers need a dropkick in the head
I'm on my feet all day
no lunch breaks or breaks in general sometimes

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah I'm with you here. Most people seem to ask what job people work as the first thing like it tells them 'everything' about that person. I couldn't care a less most of the time, because most people aren't working jobs they particularly care about. In my opinion unless somebodies job is something they'd be doing for free, it doesn't truly say all that much about them. Yes I agree jobs are put on a pedestal too much. Of course they are (sadly) a necessity, but I wish people were able to look at the bigger picture of how they can really be happy in life more often. It saddens me that it's entirely normal to expect people to look back on their life and be miserable about the time spent working etc. That's ....ed up.

Apart from my business which was started just because I was making a product to satisfy my own needs at first, I work 3 nightshifts in a store stocking up. It's pretty much a minimum wage job but I can live on that and have money spare to buy gear etc. I really do like this job because the shifts are long and I get a night premium, which means I can work 3 days and get the same amount of money as people doing 5 in other min wage jobs. It's relaxed. I can listen to my iPod all night. Couldn't ask for much more really :) Of course I plan to go further but that will be entirely in my own endeavors. This job is a means to an end / safety net, and one I am very happy with.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I have a somewhat high profile job as a chef. I own a restaurant, have been named a "Best Chef America", our new place is among the top 50 most anticipated openings of 2014 by eater.com nationally, cook charity shit with the biggest names in the biz, etc, etc. Big deal stuff. Folks assume I'm living the dream.

I don't make a tremendous amount of money. About 35 grand before any profits.

Folks always ask in interviews "It must be nice to work in a job you have so much passion for".

Thing is, food isn't my ultimate passion. I'm just good at it and it affords me a certain lifestyle.

I like my job, but it's not the only defining thing in my creative life. I play music, write a couple columns in magazines - knowledge is the thing I'm really interested in.

So, even with a great gig, my job just fuels other aspects of my life.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Even while in college, I put being gainfully employed above satisfaction, so I really only have myself to blame if I don't like my career. Not every "passion" can be made into a job, so working in a field in which I have the tools to thrive (haven't stroked-out yet!) is probably a coup.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Still in college but when I do work for the couple months a year my job is open it:
1. Manages to pay for my GAS
2. Keeps food in me.
3. Pays my bills.
4. I get to be the boss.

on the negative side.
1. 16-18 hour days everyday with only a 10 minute break and no overtime (because of a stupid ....ing clause written in 1932 about seasonal workers and rights)
2. I work in a non air conditioned environment that sometimes reaches 115 degrees before we close.
3. The people above me are incompetent
4. The pay isn't great for the work I put in but it adds up

Soon I will be graduating and looking for a big boy job that I will hopefully enjoy much more than the shithole I work in now.

Nails In Your Coffin

Reaction score
This is a bit of a weird question, but I think it's fairly interesting if I can explain it properly...

Basically the long and short of what I wanna know is:

Is your job your absolute passion in life or do you do it to fund your passion after hours?

I'm asking because it seems like there's a noticeable difference in the expectations of a job between genders at least within my particular group of friends and I'm curious to see if it holds true outside of that.

Every woman/girl/lady/whatever that I know seems to prefer a job that allows them to share their passion for <insert topic/cause/etc> with the world.

When they ask me if I like my job, I tell them that's irrelevant and they seem to take it as me being a dick, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. For me, *what* I do doesn't matter so long as I am capable of completing the task to a satisfactory degree.

Further, if the job compensates me such that I might pursue multiple interests in my free time while expending minimal effort then I'd rather do that and know that I am "secure" than to choose a path upon which I may potentially struggle harder.

Not only that, but I also feel like if I were to do the things I'm most passionate about for a living I'd lose my passion for them. I used to like programming a LOT more before I started doing it for a living. :2c:

Thoughts?

I imagine it can't be 100% black and white across the board...

"Men prefer x"

"Women prefer y"

More than likely it seems that way from my view point because I'm most likely to make friends with folks that think similarly at the very least, but who knows...

For the most part, my job is peaceful. I work out in the field, so I rarely see or hear from my boss. I've worked for my current boss for nearly two years, yet I've seen her maybe three time. I've spoken with her in as few.

I occasionally have to deal with a grouchy and/or uncooperative store manager from time to time, but if all I have to do is deal with an occasional a-hole, I'd say my job is pretty good.

Most of the time, I'm working solo. I go to work, do my job without any cares or bothers, and come home.

While these are all great things, the downside is they don't like to give raises, regardless of the performance review. I've been with them for almost three years, yet I've never seen a raise. My performance reviews have always been good.

My job does not pay a lot of money, but I guess I'd rather be content than make tons of money. I go to work, do my job, and come home. Unlike working in an office environment, I don't have to deal with the political bs and the drama.

What does my job do for me? It helps me pay a few bills, all the while keeping me fairly sane. My days hold no surprises, good or bad, so there's nothing to "dread" over.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
To add to my post, I have had the chance to take better jobs and a higher role in my current work place but haven't done so because they would all be full time. A lower wage is something I am very happy to accept if it means I don't have to work more than 30 hours a week (that's also 30 hours of music listening and deep thought). Half of the hours of my week are already taken by work (with practically no commute) and sleep. That's enough.

Daeniel

7string n00b!
Reaction score
Mate I know what you're saying. My work takes up so much time and energy that even if it pays well I just doesn't cut the deal.

A simple word: we're still "young" - I'm 31 - we're still able to change A LOT in our lives. Don't take inevitability for granted, 'cause it isn't. You just need to be brave, but once you've understood what's right for you go for it. Same applies to me. :metal:

My job:

- affords me some luxuries (guitars, cars, geek stuff)
- pays my mortgage
- causes me stress
- affects my health (heart problems, little to no sleep)
- steals time away from what I love to do
- at times makes me regret my choices in life

I'm only 34, but if I could have my time over again, I would choose to do what I love, as opposed to what I knew would afford me some of the things I want.

To wake up in the morning happy, loving, and knowing what you're about to embark on for the day is nothing but a dream to me. One that's getting away (responsibilities and fear).

I reckon, aim to do what you love for a living, or be in the industry that feeds what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Basically, I use to be the same as you Konfyousd, I think. I use to think, as long as what I'm doing pays for my hobbies, then I'll be sweet. But the reality for me is, it pays for the things I want, but I dislike getting up every morning, and I'm constantly asking myself if I'm wasting my life.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I work in one of amazon.com's warehouses. 5 PM-3:30 AM 4 nights a week and Wednesday/Sunday some weeks at a friends restaurant for some extra cash. I am financially stable, but this job(Amazon) is seriously tiring. But it doubles as my cardio workout and finances my gear for now, so, hey. :lol:

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh my god... I thought I was the only one that felt that way... :lol:

Everyone I meet here is a sociology, social work or poli sci major and thinks they're going to make big changes in Washington... Meanwhile the ppl getting paid to make big changes in Washington don't even do it... :rofl:

Poli/Sci major here :wavey:

Did it because I loved the subject but I'm currently putting those skills to use at a public accounting firm :lol:

Cons:
-Absurd hours
-Mediocre pay for the hours worked
-Stressful
-I don't love what I do

Pros:
-I make pretty damn good money for a 24 year old; especially one that didn't really do anything exceptionally complicated during college.
-Everyday at work is mentally stimulating. I'm constantly learning and being challenged. It's made me a more efficient and less lazy person.
-They're paying for all my continued education
-I work with a bunch of really smart, young, over worked people. So when we get free time we party. Hard. :lol:
-The women are hot. See above^

I've been enjoying it :yesway:

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
At 40, I own my own business....I work with insurance and tech, and part-time I sub-contract for an insurance company doing short-term memory interviews for people applying for health insurance....those interviews take on average about 15 mins, and I get paid a buck a minute. I do them two days a week and prob make a couple grand a month on that end. Both of these I do from home, so no commute and that's a plus. It's boring work, but I'd rather do this than work for anyone. I started my first remodeling company with a friend at 25 and haven't worked for anyone since.

I work when I want, make enough money to live on and support my wife and daughter...my wife owns her own business and works 2 days a week for 2-3 hours a day and makes bank, so we're cool.

Is it satisfying? Not really.....but it doesn't define me as a person.

People are kind of shocked when they ask what I do for a living and I tell them. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 210...work out a lot and do aikido and kung-fu....I also have a lot of tattoos and a 2 foot long red beard.....I had one guy I knew for awhile tell me he thought I was some kind of assassin for a biker gang, and he was serious lol.

All in all, it's ok....not what I thought I'd be doing, but it could be WAY worse.

What it does: makes me a bunch of $$, leaves me with free time to pursue hobbies (guitar, snowboarding, martial arts, photography) and ensures I can spend the time I want to with my family.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
I'm an IT professional for the government (not a contractor...and actual civilian employee.)

I love my job. The benefits are well-known, plus I get paid to attend training courses to keep my skills sharp. Also, because I am still in the Army Reserve and essentially do the same job, they work really well with each other. Training in one means points / promotions in the other, and it goes both ways.

pott

Reaction score
I'm a business analyst for the world's largest e-tailer. A lot of money, a dynamic job which I'm very, very passionate about, working in operations for the world's most customer centric company... I love my job. Much more money than I ever thought I would ever make after university too but honestly now, it almost doesn't matter.

... but it's in Luxembourg. Try arriving to Luxembourg at 23 and single. Le sigh. Been almost 4 years now. No band, no date... just basically work, friends when there's time left. Some guitar too. Once in a while.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Poli/Sci major here :wavey:

Did it because I loved the subject but I'm currently putting those skills to use at a public accounting firm :lol:

Cons:
-Absurd hours
-Mediocre pay for the hours worked
-Stressful
-I don't love what I do

Pros:
-I make pretty damn good money for a 24 year old; especially one that didn't really do anything exceptionally complicated during college.
-Everyday at work is mentally stimulating. I'm constantly learning and being challenged. It's made me a more efficient and less lazy person.
-They're paying for all my continued education
-I work with a bunch of really smart, young, over worked people. So when we get free time we party. Hard. :lol:
-The women are hot. See above^

I've been enjoying it :yesway:
One thing I can say for you but not the folks I mentioned: you actually use your degree instead of trying to force "fun facts" into convo to feel like it was worth it. It's annoying in the DC area. Everyone thinks they're political geniuses here and the poli sci majors (on average) just seem to stick out to me. Hope I didn't offend you.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
One thing I can say for you but not the folks I mentioned: you actually use your degree instead of trying to force "fun facts" into convo to feel like it was worth it. It's annoying in the DC area. Everyone thinks they're political geniuses here and the poli sci majors (on average) just seem to stick out to me. Hope I didn't offend you.

Oh not at all, I can see how that would be annoying. I'm definitely that person when I'm with some of my poli/sci friends; I love talking about politics though :lol:.

I think you're just stuck with those people because you're in DC. I gave up on that dream when I decided I'd rather not be poor and live in CA :lol:

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
My job allows me to do whatever I want really... Apart from the 9-5 slog.... But really.... I think the key is to find a job that you enjoy that takes a 2nd to your passion. I been there... Ever since I was 16 I was convinced id be a guitar teacher or the "next joe satriani" I busted my ass of for the dream. 8 hour practice days (and a 48 hour famine no less) of guitar playing... I went to tafe and got my music qualifications and tried out for uni 2ce but as soon as they said "your playing is top tier but your sight reading isn't up to par" I knew that it was time to rethink the dream :) I've been a team leader in a call centre for about 4-5 years now. I enjoy it.... I loved guitar teaching and this gives me an opportunity to "coach" people in a different space. I tried running my own guitar teaching business previously but at the end of the day it wasn't right.... Tldr; go for your dreams and if it doesn't happen go for something similar.... You'll be happy :)

sunken0887

Reaction score
haha my job sucks really, but lately i've been using some of the money to fund various gear so i can start recording and getting my name out there

just need to get a good camera, wanna do some youtube vids as well

Tyson

Reaction score
Job is alright. Could be better, could be worse.

Pros:

-Decent-ish pay for my age (23).
-Meet a lot of different people in a day, forces me to keep my social skills fairly sharp.
-Coworkers are friendly enough.

Cons:
-Hours are all over the place. (eg. end work at 12am, come back to work 8am.)
-Many of the people I deal with are arrogant, entitled pricks.
-Work is pretty monotonous and draining.

I work as a Zamboni operator at a local arena. The amount of overbearing coaches and hockey parents, combined with the obnoxious attitudes of the 12-15 year old kids is pretty hard to deal with sometimes. But I could be doing a lot worse, honestly.

I disagree with the sentiment that a job should just be something to pay the bills and that's it. I wouldn't argue that your main passion in life should be your job, because obviously you'll lose your passion for it if it becomes something you're forced to slog away at day in and day out. But your job should be something you're fairly passionate about, or at least something that stimulates you mentally and/or physically and is something you don't have to dread going to every day. Your job (and your life in general) will benefit from having the ability to enjoy or look forward to going to work.

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
My current job, as well as any job I've ever had, has always been a means to an end for me. It provides me with enough money to maintain a lifestyle that I would otherwise not be able to afford. I am by no means living "the dream", or any dream for that matter, but I'm willing to sacrifice some 40+ hours of my life every week in exchange for being able to do what I like to do for another 40+ hours in that same week. It is not that I lack passion for whatever I'm doing professionally. I've always chosen to keep my passion reserved for my hobbies and after-hour endeavors. I'm not half-assing anything at my job, but I'm very far away from giving 100% of my effort and attention to it. If I could find a job that would pay as much as this one and would require say 70% of the time this one does I'd jump ship in a second.

All that being said, the idea of having a job I am passionate about isn't removed from my mind. I'd like that. It hasn't happened yet and with me being knocking on the third floor's door (30 this year) I'm feeling that hope slowly fading away. I've told many a friend with career problems that it's never late to start over, but the thought of it applying to me is terrifying :lol:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I get to pay my university for the privilege of doing my thesis research here :lol:

')