What Does Your Job Do For You?

• Thread starter Konfyouzd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
My job laid me off last november with a lot of money, wich I used to return to the university and find myself another career path because I hated the one I chose.

Hopefully my next will passionate me more

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
I work to make a paycheck, provide for my loved ones, and fuel my music addiction and other hobbies. I went to school to learn a skill that was in demand and thus would have available jobs. I love computers and working with them, but I wouldn't call my job my passion in life and I don't see my self touching lives or changing the world in doing it. I do what I have to do, bust my butt and get paid. I certainly don't share the desire/passion for my job that my wife aspires to by working in habitat biology.

I completely agree men more often than not may work to fuel their passion whether it's music, family, travel, cars, art etc. A great deal of women I associate with seem to be the opposite in that the work they do, in one way or another is their passion.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Yea ladies....tell me one more time about your Poly-Sci degree... wish NOVA would fall into the ocean and we could build a bigger bridge :lol:

I got out of there when I could. I lived there for 20 years now live in Richmond. I feel for you guys up there, it SUCKS.

For me, I run my own lawn care/ landscape company. I love it. I get to play with heavy machinery, work my own hours, take the clients I want. Sure it is a lot of work but I can say this- I am 22 and own 11 guitars, not many other 22 year olds can say that.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Sure it is a lot of work but I can say this- I am 22 and own 11 guitars, not many other 22 year olds can say that.

While I get what you're saying by this:

A) Some 22 year olds wouldn't own 11 guitars even if they could (myself included) from a financial stance...
B) Credit Cards.
C) Relative cost of each guitar.

It'd be better to speak to the amount if debt you have, those items (house or car) you have to your name, and what investments you've made to better clarify your sentiment.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
While I get what you're saying by this:

A) Some 22 year olds wouldn't own 11 guitars even if they could (myself included) from a financial stance...
B) Credit Cards.
C) Relative cost of each guitar.

It'd be better to speak to the amount if debt you have, those items (house or car) you have to your name, and what investments you've made to better clarify your sentiment.

Yeah this is very true. I have been blessed with a lot of what I have, but I also have worked very hard for what I have, ever to the point of working two jobs and going to school full time to support everything.

These guitars are also MIJ ESPs, USA Jackson, Ibby prestiges ect. So 1,000-2,000 a piece. I do have investments in my business (Commercial equipment is NOT cheap) and my truck, as well as enough for a down payment on a house. Also going to invest into a lot of other things this year, including more gear, guns, more equipment and a couple of big gifts for my mother and father.

I just take a lot of pride in having worked hard, and still working hard, for everything.

Mike

Reaction score
off topic chuch, but i swear I'm pretty sure we were halo 3 friends lol.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Is your job your absolute passion in life or do you do it to fund your passion after hours?

I'm passionate about my job, and it also helps me fund another passion. I don't think I would be able to do a job I'm not passionate about, even if it allows me to fund things I like.

inflames1919

Hellraiser
Reaction score
I work at the airport for a ground handling company. Due to my company being relatively young, its only taken a short time for me to move up into a higher role. It pays really well but it does take a toll on your body due to the physical nature of the job and the 24/7 roster. I dont hate my job, but I dont love it as much as I used to. The initial awe of working around planes has definitely worn off but I do get those days where I stop and appreciate the beauty of it. Its one of those jobs where it can affect your social and family life and you can feel pretty isolated at times.

Pat_tct

Reaction score
My job:

1) I spend around 12 hours a day working (including the time to get there and home again)
2) I don't hate, but I don't care for it either
3) it kinda sucked me dry i have the feeling
4) since i started that job i feel like that i don't have a passion for other stuff anymore. kinda hard to describe
5) it pays the bills and leaves some money for myself

would love to do something else.... i would love to be a teacher. Given what i did in my jobs i would love to be an IT-Teacher. I would love to teach music or english as well as i think it's one the most important languages today. plus it's my fav language and i enjoy writing, poetry and all that......

Dcm81

Reaction score
Hate is a strong word but I really do NOT like my job! It pays the bills and I like most of my collegues but those are the only good points. It's just a necessary evil.

I was one of those lazy teens with zero orientation or career plans. Ergo, I slacked at school and tried to do anything except for work to earn a living. Obviously that didn't work out in the long run so there I stood at 20 with a mediocre school degree, suddenly having to partake in "real life".
I had just returned to Germany where the great thing is, that there is an "apprentice-ship" (sp.?) for practically EVERY job you can imagine from call-center agent to an air traffic controller.
That being said, the "good" jobs are of course highly sought after so you have to have completed your school education with terrific results.....uhmmm, pass for me.
As you might well imagine, the book with a list of all these jobs is huge. So this lazy bastard, not knowing what he want's to do anyway, thought; why the hell read through this big ass book when I could just do the same as my friend is? So that's what I did, and now I work 8 hours a day in an office job I can't stand.

The ....ed up part: in the "big book of jobs", what I have come to realise over the last few years would be my dream job, would have been available!! - Luthier ;-)
I'm starting it as a hobby now so who knows, maybe in another 10 years I can quit my job and try to scrape by as a 43 year old luthier........

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
My job gives me ulcers and makes my hair fall out, probably.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I have a degree in business management and finance, which is more broad than most people think. It gives me a lot of freedom in jobs/positions/career I choose. I've gone from varying levels of retail (which I'll never do again), banking/finance, corporate for a major insurance company, to my current career working with a bunch of surgeons/physicians that I'd like to sneak into their luggage for every vacation they take.

Pros:
- Stability/moolah
- Health field is always in demand. Aka: job security
- Constant change. The health world has changes left and right. As aggravating as it can be, it breaks up the monotony that a lot of jobs have.
- Experience and then some.

Cons:
- I'll throw demanding right here. Not necessarily a bad thing, but can be pretty draining

That's really the only con that comes to mind, with exception of little things like working with slackers and/or not being able to joke around as much as I'd like. I know, first world problems.

Kwert

Reaction score
I'm a musician (cellist) by trade. I did a Bachelor's degree in performance at the University of Toronto and whilst I was there I freelanced a lot. Was making enough to pay rent/eat/do a few fun things every now and again. Like any freelancer though, there would be periods of a lot of income, and then dry spells of nothing. I recall my last year in Toronto where I made about $2500 a month for 3 months in a row, and then absolutely nothing for the next two.

Upon moving to Montreal to complete a Master's I've been bone-dry as far as gigs due to the somewhat nationalistic nature of the freelancing scene here.

It can be very fulfilling but it can also be very frustrating. I could never see myself doing anything else, though. I'd rather be a bit on the fringe financially and doing what I love to do instead of being wealthy and miserable. It'd be nice to combine the happiness with the wealth though :p.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
My job isn't my passion, but it pays decently, theres always room to move up, benefits/plenty of paid-time-off, helps fund my interests outside of here, and it has helped me learned how to handle my finances (I work in financial services). And while its not my passion, I certainly don't dislike it.

That said, I'm still always finding ways to make use of my Music Theory and Composition/Contemporary Music Studies degree, and always plan on it. But having the day job in the mean time helps.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
I'm 19 and live at my grandmas.... My job gives me something to do, I don't love it I enjoy it to a degree, mostly cause I have awesome co-workers I'd like to be in the same boat as op. having the money to pay for the stuff I need and let's me enjoy other stuff in my free time.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I work with teenagers and young adults with special needs. What my job does for me is a multitude of things but the biggest one is feeling like despite the shamefully low wages it's something worth doing and something that truly needs to be done.

The feeling you get after helping an autistic teenager work through issues no one else seemed to understand is indescribable.

')