What double neck cockstock ESP is this?

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was scrolling through reels on Instagram and came across this unique double neck strat style cockstock ESP that James Hetfield played during the Black Album touring era, they played Fade to Black.

I've seen James play a double neck ESP Explorer, but never this strat double neck. I thought it would be interesting to share here, especially for the ESP cockstock lovers! Possibly a one off Custom that James only used for a few shows?

(I hope this link works!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
He got this at the same time as the Explorer double neck I think? He used it a shit-ton in 1992 but I'm assuming retired it in 1993. I'm assuming James wasn't jiving with the single coil in the neck because uh, as you can tell in the video, it sounds super fucking thin. :lol:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
All I know from that video is Hetfield is 100% American sex appeal. Just look at that fine specimen. Jesus christ, almighty. He even aged like fine wine, too.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
It’s so fucking weird seeing Papa Het playing a superduper strat. The duper is for the double neck of course.

Give me Explorers or give me death!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It’s so fucking weird seeing Papa Het playing a superduper strat. The duper is for the double neck of course.

Give me Explorers or give me death!
Probably another reason he ditched it. Strats/Superstrats look fucking goofy on him. :lol:
I thought it was because of the pyro accident, but he was apparently still using the guitar even after that

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
F46C7238-27B7-40AF-B429-92FADADC93E8.jpeg
B481BB0E-5581-4449-A7B2-AA5C763F79B2.jpeg

Source: https://www.espguitars.com/forums/1...ica-guitars-at-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was scrolling through reels on Instagram and came across this unique double neck strat style cockstock ESP that James Hetfield played during the Black Album touring era, they played Fade to Black.

I've seen James play a double neck ESP Explorer, but never this strat double neck. I thought it would be interesting to share here, especially for the ESP cockstock lovers! Possibly a one off Custom that James only used for a few shows?

(I hope this link works!)

Heh. I was at that show. I remember him playing it. I would imagine nearly being burned alive might put one off playing that particular instrument again...

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bet that guitar doesn't sound half bad, the overall mix from that show sounds like they highpassed the shit out of everything. Kirk's leads sound pretty good though.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Probably another reason he ditched it. Strats/Superstrats look fucking goofy on him. :lol:
I thought it was because of the pyro accident, but he was apparently still using the guitar even after that
I think Hetfield can pull off playing pretty much anything. Even an Aristides would look cool with him playing it.

')