What double sided tape do you use?

• Thread starter yacker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yacker

Reaction score
Pretty simple question. What type of double stick tape are you guys using for attaching templates for routing and such?

Mega long story short, I grabbed some double sided tape I had lying around the house and it was WAAAAAAYYYYY too strong. I had to use a blow dryer warm up the tape so I could remove the template....now I have tape residue to deal with.

So there's got to be something you guys have had success with that won't leave residue, but is strong enough to hold a template in place for routing right? It would also be preferable if it's something that can be purchased locally that I won't have to source online....but if that's the only way, then so be it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I typically just clamp templates for routing. For unfinished surfaces I just use a plain wooden screw clamp, and for finished surfaces I put some felt down and then use a C-clamp.

I found tape to be either too weak or too strong, especially when working on a finished instrument.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant to say that earlier in my thread. At the begining of my build I was using a reaaaaaally strong one. I'm now using the "medium" one. The brand I buy seems to sort the "agresivity" of the tape by colors. I just buy the green one.

Green as in... green letters on the inside:
qa5.jpg

It's a wonder to work with. Used almoast 3 rolls by now.

yacker

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Max, I'm definitely considering the clamping route for the bigger templates and such. However, I've kinda shot myself in the foot as far doing that on what I'm currently working on, because I'm using a very small humbucker pickup routing template I made. Like 4x6 in or so. So I don't really have much real estate to clamp it down while still having room to move my router around.

I'm starting to see what you mean about too weak or too strong tape though. :wallbash:

Edit:
scherzo: That sounds great if you're having success with it, but I'm not certain if I'll be able to find that tape in my area. What is the brand name? Tuk?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't work with the teeny tiny Stew Mac templates. I'd just use your current template to make a bigger one out of some masonite.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I typically just clamp templates for routing. For unfinished surfaces I just use a plain wooden screw clamp, and for finished surfaces I put some felt down and then use a C-clamp.

I found tape to be either too weak or too strong, especially when working on a finished instrument.

This works for me, with the little experience I have.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I use a table router, so i tape mine down. I've used the stuff from StewMac, which is awesome, but i did find it pulled up the grain on some of my limba. A lot of double-sided tape is too gummy and leaves residue. The stuff from StewMac is excellent stuff.

yacker

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Darren! Looks like the stewmac tape is made by Venture Tape Corp. I'll try to figure out if I can find it anywhere locally.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
scherzo: That sounds great if you're having success with it, but I'm not certain if I'll be able to find that tape in my area. What is the brand name? Tuk?

Gah, I'll have to tell you till tomorrow, since It's wayt oo cold right now to go find it outside, lol.

The biggest problem I had with the super strong tape, was that it's kinda soft. So when I used my routing rig, it "squished" and caused small variations. There is also a strong "thin" tape, but I avoid it like the plague, since it's impossible to remove even with a scrape.

seven_stringer

Reaction score
I used some double sided carpet tape that was sold at Home Depot and it worked pretty good but sometimes it would leave some residue on the wood and or the template. When it made a mess I would use the scrap tape that I pulled off my template and would press it on the excess tape to remove it. However, recently the Home Depot in my area changed brands of double sided carpet tape. This tape is stronger than the one they stopped carrying but leaves even more tape residue to clean up. If I can screw a template down in an area that will eventually be routed or drilled I will do it. Otherwise I would rather have a strong tape that holds than one that moves around.

')