What fills your 500-800 hz region?

• Thread starter WeBowInItsAura
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WeBowInItsAura

Paranormal Entity
Reaction score
I find I'm usually making pretty wide cuts in this region on guitar, bass, and kick. With that said, although I think the individual instruments may sound better with these cuts, won't the end result be a kind of "hole" in your mix in this region? So I'm wondering what fills this gap in your mix for you guys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
Its a good range on guitar to cut to clear up the sound a bit (maybe not as high as 800 for me though), but bass I let sit there for me. Maybe a tiny cut but nothing that will be extreme. Vocals also sit there as well for me, synths and stuff. If you cut too much of the same from all the instruments, they will most likely just noticeably collide in other areas.

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
I kill drums in the 500 range but my guitars really fill that range up, also my synths and piano are prominent there.

iceythe

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
What fills that gap? The instruments of course. You don't necessarily cut away everything there is, in order to make a "hole. You just attenuate the region to either change its character or to give way for other instruments.

If you took a, say a multiband compressor, set the second band divider between 500-800Hz and solo it, then run it on several instruments, you'll see that it will contain quite a bit of "ooh" from basically everything that produces sound.

Overheads sound fuller with this region. Without, they sound thin. It gives the low-end ring, meat to the crashes.
Bass guitar usually have this area attenuated, but never completely cut out. This area, while less useful in the overall tone of the bass, produces harmonics that give nice detail to the sound.
Guitars have this somewhat attenuated, but still audible. Same reason as bass.
Most melodic and warm pads use this region. It contains significant details of the note that is played. Largely used to boost for cutting the melody through a busy or loud mix.
Clean guitar tones use this for the actual notes ringing.

Basically, when you're cutting; sure, some things are better off with a scoop there, but because of the nature of other instruments, it will always be somewhat occupied in a full mix.

')