What FX’s sound better analog, rather than digital?

mongey

Reaction score
Seriously, who cares? Unless you want to build your own pedals, why does it matter "how" the pedal makes the effects sound? Truthfully, some analogue pedals sound great and others sound like trash, and exactly the same thing can be said about digital pedals. Even with delay pedals, it depends on how you want to use them, but the same thing goes.

while I agree, in my years of obscene pedal flipping I would def say generally that analog pedals are warmer and digital are clearer.whats better depends on what you are looking for

There is a distinct path for each .and that path lends itself to a choice between them.and they don't really imitate the other very well. The analog setting on a time lime blows IMHO

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I am VERY curious to hear what people would define as "good" or "bad" for some FX

Reverb, I kinda get. Some reverbs could sound extremely fake.

But delay? How can you have a good or bad delay? It has pretty defined parameters.

And things like phase, chorus, flanger etc change your base sound so much that I am really sceptical anybody could tell whether it was analogue or digital by the end.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
A bad delay pedal can have one of the following problems:

1. Distorted sounding echoes.
2. Unsteady timing of echoes.
3. Parameters don't have enough throw in them to achieve the desired result.
4. Difficult to dial in.

I'd say that #3 is the only one I've come across more than once. But delay pedals are much better now, in 2018, than they were when I started playing ~1992.

And I agree that no one will know the difference as to what components are inside of a pedal. If it's a good pedal, it'll sound like the effect, and not like the transistors used or not used.

')