What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Just gave MGS5 a break in favor of something a bit lighter and less...well...pervy.

Started Mirror's Edge: Catalyst last night. Been wanting to play it for years, it's lighter tone, beautiful design and easier to follow plot is a welcome break. Took awhile to get used to the controls and mechanics, but about 2 hours in I'm having a blast traversing the rooftops of Glass City.

It's like Dying Light but without the zombie apocalypse. Not too shabby.

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
Just gave MGS5 a break in favor of something a bit lighter and less...well...pervy.

Started Mirror's Edge: Catalyst last night. Been wanting to play it for years, it's lighter tone, beautiful design and easier to follow plot is a welcome break. Took awhile to get used to the controls and mechanics, but about 2 hours in I'm having a blast traversing the rooftops of Glass City.

It's like Dying Light but without the zombie apocalypse. Not too shabby.
more like dying light is mirror's edge but with zombies, since the first game came out wayyy before dying light

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
There's a "memories" recap section in KH3, and it does absolutely fuck all at understanding the story and how incredibly convoluted and self-indulgent it became

Sounds about right. :lol:

Let's face it. The gameplay greatly saves the Kingdom Hearts series. I can bare the messy story when the hack & slash gameplay is solid and fun, and also less of that Little Mermaid QTE overload in KH2. Also building your own Gummy Ship is one of the best aspects in the game.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ferret

Reaction score
Just finished a multi-week spree in Conan Exiles after it was on sale near Christmas. Had fun for several weeks but then had basically done everything there was to do unless I was going to be serious about PVP or something.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds about right. :lol:

Let's face it. The gameplay greatly saves the Kingdom Hearts series. I can bare the messy story when the hack & slash gameplay is solid and fun, and also less of that Little Mermaid QTE overload in KH2. Also building your own Gummy Ship is one of the best aspects in the game.

Building Gummy ships just confuses the hell out of me. I've barely done anything other than add extra turrets to the default ship.

Someone told me KH3 combat has a Nier:Automata feel to it. Which interests me greatly.

wankerness

Reaction score
I played about 4 hours of Kingdom Hearts 1 and HATED it because of the gameplay, ironically. I am interested in 3 cause of statements like that. I think I'll follow my own advice and just ignore the plot and probably enjoy it.

Nier Automata has great-feeling combat, and I like the carpal tunnel-inducing turret, but it's too easy to outlevel the enemies and basically 3 shot them, even on hard mode. That statement still has me curious.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Building Gummy ships just confuses the hell out of me. I've barely done anything other than add extra turrets to the default ship.

Someone told me KH3 combat has a Nier:Automata feel to it. Which interests me greatly.

The Gummi builds aren't mandatory but help in the more intense stages like the last flight in KH2. It confused me at first but ended up spending hours loving it. But then again I am one of those guys who can spend hours on building mecha in Front Mission and creating characters in Soul Calibur more than playing the actual game.

Haven't played KH3 yet but from the looks of things it looks largely the same as 2 but with super moves and 2 more AI supports can be added as opposed to switching Goofy (for me anyway) out with mandatory world character. I'm fine with that as KH2 corrected all the problems I had with KH1.

For a good alternative hack & slash with the Japanese flavor, I recommend Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana. I've rambled about it a few times in this thread already but the combat mechanics are incredibly fun to play. Less fast paced than Nier Automata but tarted up and refined extremely well.

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
True true, I played dying light first so i guess my comparison is more subjective in that case.

Did you like either of them? Or both?
both are really fun. mirror's edge is a bit more realistic movement wise, but dying light felt smoother overall

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Brother and I were drinking and playing last night.....he decides he wants to grab Mortal Kombat for funs and nostalgia; was $5 on Steam. I warned him.

2 hours later we were having a blast, and he still hadn't won a single game....nice to see things don't change even though I haven't played in decades.

wankerness

Reaction score
For a good alternative hack & slash with the Japanese flavor, I recommend Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana. I've rambled about it a few times in this thread already but the combat mechanics are incredibly fun to play. Less fast paced than Nier Automata but tarted up and refined extremely well.

Yep, great game. It seems there’s very little like it, as deceptively simple as it feels. This would also be an attempt to fill that gap. In my soul. :p

I am contemplating getting far cry 5 since it’s cheap right now and I heard all the dlc totally sucks so I wouldn’t have to pay for that! I got a kick out of primal and 3/blood dragon back when it was newish.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
both are really fun. mirror's edge is a bit more realistic movement wise, but dying light felt smoother overall

Hmmm yeah I think that's fairly accurate. With Mirror's edge I feel like my feet are firmly planted on the ground with all movements i make. And it's really easy to bail if my control inputs aren't on point, like when falling from any height for example. Dying light felt like I was floating on air most of the time, hand-to-hand combat felt solid though.

Brother and I were drinking and playing last night.....he decides he wants to grab Mortal Kombat for funs and nostalgia; was $5 on Steam. I warned him.

2 hours later we were having a blast, and he still hadn't won a single game....nice to see things don't change even though I haven't played in decades.

Which MK? Some in the series are easier to remember and fall back into than others.

I'm more or less the same with Street Fighter. Me and my friend dove back into SF Third Strike and yeah, 31 games in total. A couple of really close calls but overall no losses for me. Hooray for muscle memory!

Mathemagician

Reaction score
In KH 1? Nah fam. Close if you don’t do any side stuf. But first trip there isn’t the end. Idk how anyone can not enjoy KH it’s so over the top campy to be inside the creators interpretation of disney’s worlds. I love it. I also love 40* hour jrpgs soooooo, lol.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
God damn, I don't think I can finish KH3, the voice acting is just so terrible and no one seems to have a clue what's going on or how to interact with each other; it's like they're all in their own world and can see each other, but not actually interact with them. I'm wondering if the first ones were like this and I was just too young to notice, but holy hell, it's such a drag to play after all these years waiting for what it could have been. The gameplay is OK, it's a hack and slash for without any gore, but none of the worlds even feel that fun, it's just going through the motions somehow, even though we've never gotten to actually play through them.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Finished the first go around at Hallow Bastion in KH before calling it a night. Goddamn that fucking dragon.

wankerness

Reaction score
In KH 1? Nah fam. Close if you don’t do any side stuf. But first trip there isn’t the end. Idk how anyone can not enjoy KH it’s so over the top campy to be inside the creators interpretation of disney’s worlds. I love it. I also love 40* hour jrpgs soooooo, lol.

Oh, I have played more than one 80+ hour game recently. My problem with Kingdom Hearts wasn't length, it was the actual combat mechanics. That boss in Alice in Wonderland-land where you had to clunkily try and jump off a table at it and hit it in the face, yet the really janky hit detection occasionally let you just stand in front of it and jump and achieve the same result, was where I wrote the game off. On top of the horrendous hit detection, your teammates would die in sub-20 seconds no matter what, there was literally nothing you could do to keep them alive, they were just worthless. I think they both res'd and died again about 10 times before I finally killed the stupid boss, since you could get in about 1 hit before having to run all the way around the room and climb up everything and ugh.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Lmao. I forgot that. Yeah the game is a single player game. Your party members are negligible. As a kid it was easy for me to go “ok yeah that’s fine i’ll ignore them”. I’d be much more annoyed as an adult.

And that boss/zone was whimsical but I 100% agree that it was an extreme example of them pushing their engine to do things that seem very difficult for it.

I didn’t like fights there. I love the longer more spread out zones like Tarzan and Aladdin/Cave of Wonders.

mongey

Reaction score
god damn. so after 70 odd tries over a week I beat Orstein and Smough . ended up just doing it alone as I couldn't be bothered going back to depths to farm more humanity

as with all things dark souls once i actually just calmed down and went slowly it got easier , still a prick of a thing though