What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
god damn. so after 70 odd tries over a week I beat Orstein and Smough . ended up just doing it alone as I couldn't be bothered going back to depths to farm more humanity

as with all things dark souls once i actually just calmed down and went slowly it got easier , still a prick of a thing though
if it makes you feel better, most of the bosses from that point on aren't really hard. The only really bad ones are gwynn/artorias/4 kings

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Keep coming back to Monster Hunter World and still thoroughly enjoying it. The difficulty curve keeps things interesting and I've got a pretty good feel for some of the nuance of the game. Glad this turned out to be a game I can step away from and then come back in after a time and still enjoy it since I'm not diving into any of the multiplayer features.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Finally got to dip my toes in the Cabaret club game in Lost Paradise. It's got some significant differences to the Yakuza games, and it's too early to judge for me which is more fun, but still just as absurd. That said, it's a lot more streamlined and moves at a much faster pace. I'll admit I'm a little disappointed you can't play dress ups with your top ranks this time around. Silly as it was, it added some depth to the gameplay and I spent so much time doing so. And at least your starting low ranked cast prove their usefulness unlike Yakuza's Bronze ranks where you ditch most of them once you got the Silvers and Golds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Started playing Far Cry 5, beat the first "lieutenant." It's a shock how much harder it is than Assassin's Creed, purely cause you're doing the same things in first person. Driving in first person is a nightmare.

EDIT: After playing AC Odyssey and AC Origins back-to-back, I'm reflexively hitting R1 for melee attacks whenever things get hectic and I have a gun out. That is the grenade/dynamite-throw button, which certainly has caused some problems.

Last edited:

wankerness

Reaction score
Problems? Or highly efficient solutions?

I realize what happened, and then have to run away really fast. It's near-impossible to actually damage any enemies with grenades/dynamite if you don't "cook" it first, so all I manage to do is make everyone scatter. It stops them from shooting me for 3 seconds, at least, so that's sort of a solution! My stupid dog and/or companion like to stand right on it while it blows up though.

mongey

Reaction score
if it makes you feel better, most of the bosses from that point on aren't really hard. The only really bad ones are gwynn/artorias/4 kings
I flew through 4 king's yesterday. High poise and just tanked them . would've done it first go but didn't heal when I should've and went for that last hit and died , did it 2nd go though

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
I flew through 4 king's yesterday. High poise and just tanked them . would've done it first go but didn't heal when I should've and went for that last hit and died , did it 2nd go though
yeah they're only bad if you don't burn em down fast enough, then they swarm you.

Demiurge

Reaction score
WalMart is blowing out those Playstation Classics for $40 so I, a probable rube, ordered one. With the rep it has, the $100 price point was a non-starter, but with the mods out there, this should at least not be a waste?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished Kingdom Hearts 1.5 finally. Man, that fucking last sequence of boss fights.

Spoiler: Pinocchio becomes a real boy.

Anyway, starting Re:Chain of Memories now, but I'll likely takes KH break and get back to Kiwami 2.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Just picked up AC Odyssey and the new Tomb Raider, debating which one to get into first.

WalMart is blowing out those Playstation Classics for $40 so I, a probable rube, ordered one. With the rep it has, the $100 price point was a non-starter, but with the mods out there, this should at least not be a waste?

Mods? What mods? Just picked on up myself, you can mod them?? :pray:

Demiurge

Reaction score
Last I checked, people have found a way to access the emulator's options menu and to have it play additional games off of a thumb drive. The latter is pretty big since people were complaining about the game selection.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Been playing a bit of Diablo III for kicks lately. Still a lot of fun, I miss the randomized levels of the older ones but the replay value is good here.

wankerness

Reaction score
Been playing a bit of Diablo III for kicks lately. Still a lot of fun, I miss the randomized levels of the older ones but the replay value is good here.

Well...they're a little bit randomized! There are a bunch of events that can happen different places or not at all, doors that can be open or closed in some places, enemy placement, etc. It sure isn't a roguelike. I never played 1/2 so I should STFU.

Just picked up AC Odyssey and the new Tomb Raider, debating which one to get into first.

Mods? What mods? Just picked on up myself, you can mod them?? :pray:

AC Odyssey is wayyyyy longer than TR so might want to do TR before devoting weeks? I really liked AC Odyssey, but it's a lot of game!

Last I checked, people have found a way to access the emulator's options menu and to have it play additional games off of a thumb drive. The latter is pretty big since people were complaining about the game selection.

They did jailbreak the thing. IIRC you have to upload the ISOs from the drive onto the hard drive, though, so you can only put a handful of new games on there at once.

IMO, if you're a nerd big enough, there's no reason to buy their hardware as it uses the exact same emulator that you can get off the internet for free, only I don't think it will be able to be updated, and you've got some serious space limitations. I guess if you like the look and want the non-dual-shock controller for lord knows what reason (it sure makes some games awful) then go for it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well...they're a little bit randomized! There are a bunch of events that can happen different places or not at all, doors that can be open or closed in some places, enemy placement, etc. It sure isn't a roguelike. I never played 1/2 so I should STFU.
Oh, 1 is dated as hell and doesn't offer nearly as much endgame play, but it's absolutely worth tracking down and spending some time playing. Two real reasons - first, the sparseness of the storyline is pretty damned awesome, and adds to the creepiness - there's no backstory, you start in this town and the townspeople are like, "yo, the king's son was kidnapped and now skeletons are coming out of that old cathedral. You look tough, maybe you should check it out," and that's that. You only really learn what's going on as you play, and even then the very ending threw me for a loop. Second, there's no fixed dungeon design - the town is fixed (and a very small, closed world), but every of the 16 levels of the dungeons is randomly generated as you explore. Sometimes that works in your favor - I remember once the stairwell to the next level was right next to the one I'd just come down - but it makes the game a lot less predictable, especially because there are also a bunch of random "events" like DIII. And some of them are pretty nuts - you never forget the first time you stumble upon the Butcher. :lol:

D2 was a lot like that, but with a bit more in the way of endgame options (I don't think they really expected people to beat DI and then wonder "what next," whereas in D2 as they continued to update the game post release they definitely focused on character level up and late game replay - they did a much better job of it in D3, I think, with torments and boounties, but the inspiration of that was replaying boss fights as high level characters in D2). It was also mostly randomized, though there were fixed sections.

D3... You got a MUCH bigger world, a much more cohesive and fleshed out storyline, a ton of customizaton in the game for each player class, and some really robust end-game play... But, in return, the only randomization you have is that there are some one-off events that don't consistently appear. I think it would be tough to do random maps on a scale of the world of D3, but I miss walking into a dungeon the third or fourth time I do a playthrough and literally having no idea what the map is going to look like.

mongey

Reaction score
inching towards finish line of dark souls .I'm kinda over it but it needs to be finished to close the chapter

flew through dukes archives and crystal cave in a couple of sessions . boss in the Crystal cave was easiest yet . in demon ruins now which seems like it will amp up in difficultly again after an easy section before

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Tetris 99 is now the only game I will ever play

Boy, this came from out of nowhere. And who knew Battle Royale Tetris would actually work. Still partial to Tetris Effect, but that doesn't have multiplayer. Tetris 99 more than scratches the Tetris multiplayer itch.

wankerness

Reaction score
I finally beat Mario 64. I'm only 22 years late. :lol:

Wow! How far did you get when it was "current?"

I got 120 stars in that thing wayyy back when I first got an N64 (I got one right after OoT came out). It's a good game, but I have 0 desire to ever set foot in Tick Tock Clock or Rainbow Ride again! I also have vivid memories of trying to crank the camera around with the C buttons, having it give that "error" noise that it can't turn more, having to turn it back around the other way, having that fail, switching to "Mario cam," cranking it around both directions for another little while, and finally having it go exactly where I wanted it to, all in the interest of performing one jump. And I remember just thinking that was normal, that's how cameras work, since it was about the first to allow any of this and thus no one could comprehend a system where this stuff functioned! Oh, how times change.