What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't start the game thinking "I can take on that frost troll!". You can't.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Decided to play Bayonetta properly after over a year of serious neglect.

And I may finally unwrap and start Assassin's Creed: Black Flag... hopefully by the end of the week.

:lol:

Dcm81

Reaction score
Riddick just got released on Blu-Ray over here so I had to pull Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Arena out of the old pile and give them another play-through!

Anybody else get the urge to play some older game after watching a specific movie?

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
GTAV. Only game I play! Its perfect haha

Used to love Driving sims but since selling the track car and putting my gaming steering wheel set-up in the roof and they just aren't the same with a pad!

Rosal76

Reaction score
Anybody else get the urge to play some older game after watching a specific movie?

Watching the first Silent Hill (2006) movie made me want to go back to the older games. Watching "The Hunted" (2003) makes me want to play the first 3 Splinter Cell games. :cool:

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Ive played almost all of the major releases from 2013, my picks are:

action: Tomb Raider 2013
shooter: Shadow Warrior, close second from Bioshock Infinite but SW is more fun
fighting: Gods Among Us, best fighter in years IMO
driving: NFS Rivals

I play all on pc, best graphics and controls, imo....

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
Flappy Bird on Android.

Play, but keep all razors out of reach to avoid self inflicted injury.

Most frustrating game ever.

Osorio

Reaction score
Playing Bioshock Infinite and, right now, I'm a bit puzzled.

I don't get the hype... I mean, yes, the story seems to be interesting enough (I know a thing or two about it), and the way it unfolds seems to be intriguing... But god damn, the actual gameplay is so incredibly boring.

This is the first game I have ever played where I'm seriously considering just going to youtube and watching a playthrough and never touch this thing ever again.

Also worth mentioning that, so far, Infinite has crashed my PS3 about 7 times. That's in the spam of 3 hours or so. A whole lot, if you ask me.

Such a massive disappointment...

EDIT: NOPE. F*ck this game. 1 more hour of "play" (read, walking around and collecting random crap) and it managed to crash my PS3 4 more times. No, thank you. YouTube it is.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Playing Bioshock Infinite and, right now, I'm a bit puzzled.

I don't get the hype... I mean, yes, the story seems to be interesting enough (I know a thing or two about it), and the way it unfolds seems to be intriguing... But god damn, the actual gameplay is so incredibly boring.

This is the first game I have ever played where I'm seriously considering just going to youtube and watching a playthrough and never touch this thing ever again.

Also worth mentioning that, so far, Infinite has crashed my PS3 about 7 times. That's in the spam of 3 hours or so. A whole lot, if you ask me.

Such a massive disappointment...

EDIT: NOPE. F*ck this game. 1 more hour of "play" (read, walking around and collecting random crap) and it managed to crash my PS3 4 more times. No, thank you. YouTube it is.

I dunno about the crashing problem (we have it at my parents' place and it never crashed our ps3) but yeah, tbh I've felt the same way about all of the bioshock games. The style and concepts are really cool, but then the gameplay is always just kinda meh.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
One was really unique because of it's story in conjunction with it's setting; I mean, no game had been set in a city that was not only underwater, but still 1920-1930's-esque especially a FPS. The gameplay has never really been that strong selling point of it because it boils down to "Kill bad guys, stay alive," but so do most games.

Infinite was beautiful in it's art and story, with the gameplay being somewhat new because you had the options of Tears (at least later in the game) and all the Vigors were different from before and IMO - the best ones they've done.

Osorio

Reaction score
Hindsight opening comment: This turned out big, feel free to ignore. Only the last paragraph pertains to Bioshock Infinite.

I was talking with a friend yesterday about the "validity" of emphasis on gameplay. I take that some games have better stories than they have gameplay; hell, I enjoy visual novels and there is literally no gameplay at all there. Just walls of text. Literally.
What irks me is when games have bad (or just bland) gameplay and try to justify it as "the story is the strong point". People can say whatever they want about Metal Gear, when you get to act, however rare that may end up being if you elect to watch all the cutscenes, the gameplay is GREAT. It is responsive, it is open, and most of all, it is satisfying as F*CK. MGS3 remains to this day as one of the most entertaining games, the whole package, I have ever played.

Killzone's story might be ever so "meh", but I really enjoy the weighty gameplay and impactful sound design they employ over the airy and arcade style of Call of Duty (even if the story on Call of Duty can be better).
This was a realization for me, because for the longest while I would endure whatever virtual punished I had to so long as the story was good. As a JRPG fan, I guess it took me a while to realize that their story telling chops had been failing hard, but I still trudged. Thinking back, I think that they mechanics might have pushed me through the game more than the story. In hindsight, the story of FFX was good, but god damn, that gameplay. Sphere Grid, the plethora of immensely satisfying mini-games. Good game. Uneven story, but GOOD GAME.

I obviously didn't got far into the story or the gameplay of Bioshock Infinite. I wish I could have. I was hyped for the game, I wanted it to be good. I was all willing to trudge through the amorphous mass that it is the gameplay to get to the meat of the story. But then it started crashing like crazy and it just sucked all the good will I had for it. Some google-ing revealed that this might be a common issue with "phat" PS3s.
Maybe I'll get to try it again on PlayStation Now in a gazillion years when it hits and my internet is good enough to take it. I would like to experience it by my hand, even though I am finding the youtube run rather enjoyable.

/rant.

Sorry.

Anyway. I've also started playing "Puppeteer". I'm still on Act 1, but I like it so far. The presentation is really charming and a thousand miles north of adorable.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I obviously didn't got far into the story or the gameplay of Bioshock Infinite. I wish I could have. I was hyped for the game, I wanted it to be good. I was all willing to trudge through the amorphous mass that it is the gameplay to get to the meat of the story. But then it started crashing like crazy and it just sucked all the good will I had for it. Some google-ing revealed that this might be a common issue with "phat" PS3s.
Maybe I'll get to try it again on PlayStation Now in a gazillion years when it hits and my internet is good enough to take it. I would like to experience it by my hand, even though I am finding the youtube run rather enjoyable.

If you can dude, try Bioshock on a PC. Still one of the most amazing gameplay experiences I've ever had.

Not sure what problem there could be gameplay-wise as I found it immediately intuitive and utterly responsive; tight controls, and easy to switch between abilities, gunplay and melee fluidly.

Bioshock Infinite is one of those complete package games for me, far above and beyond the average title and well deserving of all the praise it received.

Osorio

Reaction score
PC is out of reach, sadly. I have absolutely no patience for PC gaming. (And I have been realizing that my patience for console gaming is running out as well. I hope this next generation proves more entertaining and less... I don't know. Contrived? Whatever. I miss when there wasn't patching or installing on consoles. Just put that disc in and play away. This is not the issue here. I believe I have ranted about this a thousand times over in these forums. Moving on.)

I'm not saying that the gameplay in Bioshock Infinite is objectively bad, it is just run of the mill boring for me. Maybe it evolves and by the end of the game things feel different and emerge as some kind of delightful trance of carnage-full massacre, but the impression that struck me was exactly like you said. It is responsive and intuitive ("and all those big words from the GameSpot review generator") and also the exact same as every game ever with a gun on the right center of the screen... It has no character.

Maybe if the game wasn't crashing so hard, that wouldn't be an obstacle to me enjoying the experience (because in the end, that's what did it for me, the crashing, not the blandness), but on hindsight, I wasn't entertained by the firefights. I was bored. If I wanted to shoot people in the face, I could think of at the very least 15 other games I would rather do that in.
On the one hand, I get a feel that this game was attempting what Spec Ops: The Line managed. To make killing feel so incredibly mundane that you can't help but feel a little bit weird by it. It feels so integral that you start questioning just how familiar this all got. Alas, I never got to that point. On the other hand, I seriously doubt such a feeling would be ever possible, because, after all, the game has "super powers" and you don't give players super powers unless you want them to feel special. It may even be (or at least get) fun; I wouldn't, and won't, know. I'm cool with that. There are other games out there.

I'm sort of used to being disappointed by this "kind of game" (the AAA "experience" that gets 90s everywhere and GOTYs like there is no tomorrow and in the end I find it "excessively average")... This generation lost me COMPLETELY as a gamer. I went from being full hardcore, 100% everything, to hardly wanting to play games on Normal because I'm just not feeling these games anymore. "Meh..."

Puppeteer is looking great though. Hope it keeps the momentum going.

Osorio

Reaction score
^ too true.

I really hate that argument though. I am capable of relating to games nowadays, it just seems that game designers / creators are fascinated with graphics, and idea that, for me, just doesn't pan out. Whatever. Still true. Gaming has changed a lot and I don't think I can keep up anymore. Sad times.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
Been playing Megaman X 1 - 3 while listening to ATB's Wolves Within (still think that Virga is a perfect fit, lol)

And I just DL'ed a game called Katawa Shoujo after hearing about it from another YouTuber who died sometime last week. From what I've seen, looks a bit interesting... (I'm probably expecting a bunch of :squint:)

Repner

Reaction score
Been playing Megaman X 1 - 3 while listening to ATB's Wolves Within (still think that Virga is a perfect fit, lol)

And I just DL'ed a game called Katawa Shoujo after hearing about it from another YouTuber who died sometime last week. From what I've seen, looks a bit interesting... (I'm probably expecting a bunch of :squint:)
JewWario, right? He seemed like a fun guy :( Never saw too many of his videos though.

')