What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I've also got a One-S, and it hasn't been touched in years. It's pretty far out of date at this point.

I'd be very worried about the fact that a lot of titles ship pretty broken on disk and rely on day-1 patches to get your "real" release version 1.0. I won't name any names, but I've been on projects as far back as almost a decade ago that shipped with what amounted to an alpha build on the disk, and if you wanted a stable experience the day-1 was unavoidable.

If we're talking just bug fixes, an update shouldn't be that big, but there are also titles out there that don't ship with most of the content on the disc at all and expect the client machine to download stuff ad-hoc as needed. In todays gaming landscape of the future, the disc is just a license sometimes. The game may or may not actually be on the disc.
I don't remember if it was on this forum or some other one, but I used to think that most discs were just basically download keys until someone showed me this site:

It's pretty good about saying what's wrong with disc versions. However, they have very sparse data on Xbox games compared to PS4, and it looks like Xbox have a higher incidence of "patch required even with disc" games. Certainly there are a lot of games that are buggy in the 1.0, but it's not like they're usually unplayable in that form. If you get discs of things like GOTY editions they include all those fixes, too.

Patches are pretty ridiculous. It's common on the PS4/5 for a "minor" update to be 6 gigs or bigger. I live in a small town with a monopoly so I pay out the nose for internet, but I don't have a data cap and have good speed so I can usually get those patches in just a few minutes. But boy, is it hostile to my friends that actually live in the country and are stuck with DSL. One of my coworkers used to bring in his Xbox and download patches during the workday off the company internet. :p

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't remember if it was on this forum or some other one, but I used to think that most discs were just basically download keys until someone showed me this site:
That's neat, but maybe paints an incomplete picture. The examples I was thinking of are reported by that site as if they're perfectly good off the disc - and they "technically" are playable all the way through, but just. You're still getting a pre 1.0 build that way. It's been my experience that if there's a day-1 patch, it's because there's something relatively critical that didn't get fixed before the disc was printed. At least that's how it was back when I would have been one of the people chasing that last critical thing. But then, a consumer's definition of critical might not match what a dev thinks is critical.

')