What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Yeah, I want to play Alan Wake 2 but I think I'm just gonna watch an Alan Wake 1 let's play on Youtube because I don't see me trying to play that thing again.

I'm not 100% happy with Remedy's games I've played, but there are things I liked a lot about them (and some that I didn't), like presentation, some weird ideas, etc.. I love Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks copycats so maybe I'll like AW2, who knows.
If I were you I'd dig up a story video summarizing the plot and the two DLCs, cause like 1/3-1/2 of a letsplay would be the boring combat/traversal/"exploration" (I'd barely call it that cause it's so bad, you have these huge empty forest levels and if you poke around in every corner you might find some randomly placed collectible but mostly you find nothing).

Basically if you want a summary though:
Alan Wake is a Stephen King type of author guy with substance abuse problems and self esteem problems who gets dragged by his wife to see a mysterious doctor out in a pacific northwest town ala Twin Peaks. She disappears into the lake during the night, he blacks out and comes to a week later, and then everyone's trying to convince him she just drowned, but he's pretty sure she didn't, and then he starts getting attacked by phantasms, and eventually his agent and a cop start seeing them too so we think he's not crazy. Eventually he saves his wife from what is basically just Twin Peaks' Black Lodge, but then is left trapped there himself. The DLCs focus on him being trapped in the black lodge and communicating with a previous author that's also stuck there. They also get way more meta and creative with game mechanics, with you having to shine flashlights on words because you're being helped by an author that's typing things for you that can help you.

I have PS+ now as of like, a month ago(?) so I do have remnants and stuff from players to fight, but usually they have either the gold gear which isn't much better than my own, or one piece of purple and it's just like, I COULD fight him but not really worth my time. But I am doing the side missions, cleared all of them, except coincidentally the one you mentioned and I used a Harakiri Branch to completely get out of it :lol: That dude was OP as fuck in his "true" form and not having any pillars in the way of his dash/powered up attacks. I feel like there was a boss similar to him in one of the FS games where you basically had to roll thru the attack, and get the opening on their back.

I can deal with yokai pools quick enough, and I think I have the ki pulse on dodge, but usually I end up stuck in them with like, one move left to do so I'll just use a low slice and pulse to clear it or completely move out of it and just regain all, so then I can combo + pulse to get the same thing. I'm learning pretty quickly dodge isn't as useful, and it's a tough habit to break after ...5 games worth of it "AKSHUALLY! Dodging is more beneficial than blocking because..." Ironically the ones I try to do it on the most ARE the smash attacks vs slash/thrust, and then they promptly fuck my shit up and I remember not to do that.

Are you sure you're online? I think you have to manually choose to go online. The game has NPC remnants that usually have garbage gear. If you're online you'll see lots of clusters of them in dangerous areas since they're spawned the same way Dark Souls bloodstains are. Some levels have people with bugged phantasms that give you insane amounts of XP or have all purples (legendaries on higher difficulties). I think that short, early side mission that's like, a temple down below, and a cliff that goes up to a higher temple, and some woman accompanies you, is a good one for farming them. At least it is on higher difficulties!

That guy is just a jerk, I always just save that mission for after I have cleared most of the subsequent zone and thus massively outlevel/outgear him.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Are you sure you're online? I think you have to manually choose to go online. The game has NPC remnants that usually have garbage gear. If you're online you'll see lots of clusters of them in dangerous areas since they're spawned the same way Dark Souls bloodstains are. Some levels have people with bugged phantasms that give you insane amounts of XP or have all purples (legendaries on higher difficulties). I think that short, early side mission that's like, a temple down below, and a cliff that goes up to a higher temple, and some woman accompanies you, is a good one for farming them. At least it is on higher difficulties!

That guy is just a jerk, I always just save that mission for after I have cleared most of the subsequent zone and thus massively outlevel/outgear him.

Oh yeah, the names are QUITE obvious on the graves when it's not like "Shozukawa the ______" and is instead like, "ConQUEEFStador69420" it lets me know I'm online, and as you said, there's just that many more; I did one mission last night either right before or right after (I think AFTER) sailing to the new region, and it was just one small arena FILLED with remnants from other players who died in there and I was very curious what was coming.

I did the mission with the cliff that goes up to the temple, was pretty pissed at it since I did a couple times from some jank mob type shit AKA archers where you can't see them until it's too late

wankerness

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the names are QUITE obvious on the graves when it's not like "Shozukawa the ______" and is instead like, "ConQUEEFStador69420" it lets me know I'm online, and as you said, there's just that many more; I did one mission last night either right before or right after (I think AFTER) sailing to the new region, and it was just one small arena FILLED with remnants from other players who died in there and I was very curious what was coming.

I did the mission with the cliff that goes up to the temple, was pretty pissed at it since I did a couple times from some jank mob type shit AKA archers where you can't see them until it's too late
YEP, that is how you tell the difference!!!

Nioh 2 has way better online features, and any time you defeat the revenants they drop a consumable that you can use to summon a helper spirit (blue graves = helpers, red graves = revenants like Nioh 1). Its system is ingenious, it lets you drop up to 5 different "summon signs" on any levels they want, but when someone summons you, it summons in whatever your player's gear/talent loadout is as an NPC into their world, instead of actually summoning you the player. You then passively collect rewards based on how many people summoned your spirit. It's a totally desynced multiplayer system, it's awesome. The spirits will follow you through large chunks of the level, and the summon signs are usually in multiple places if you get your spirit killed. It also is another optional way to make bosses much easier that doesn't exist in Nioh 1.

I've never actually played either game with true multiplayer, but I guess they're very good for that too. Just good luck getting a friend to play games like that with!

Do you have the "complete edition remastered" or did you buy the old version before they'd remastered it?

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My wife and I are dedicated Apple users, but she's been wanting a gaming laptop to run her cozy lady video games on (the Sims 4, Stardew Valley, Two Point series, Palia, etc.)

What kind of gaming laptop PC should I be looking at? What's the best value for the money? I'd like to spend around $1k, mostly because I feel like the offerings in the $1,500+ range are a bit overkill processing-wise for what she needs, but feel free to enlighten my relatively dumbass.

rokket2005

Reaction score
My wife and I are dedicated Apple users, but she's been wanting a gaming laptop to run her cozy lady video games on (the Sims 4, Stardew Valley, Two Point series, Palia, etc.)

What kind of gaming laptop PC should I be looking at? What's the best value for the money? I'd like to spend around $1k, mostly because I feel like the offerings in the $1,500+ range are a bit overkill processing-wise for what she needs, but feel free to enlighten my relatively dumbass.
My experience with gaming laptops is that they kind of suck. Buy a Steamdeck, dock, and an 8bitdo controller.

wankerness

Reaction score
I have a fancy macbook pro that can run Baldur's Gate 3 no problem...and it sucks cause it's a frickin laptop. It's just like, what do I do with this? Put it in front of me on a desk and squint at it? I could hook it up to an external monitor, but that makes it run much crappier.

But, I dunno about a steamdeck if she's huge on Sims 4. That's one case where you'd probably be better off with a laptop and a M/K setup, I'd think, because if you're hooking up those peripherals you're not going to have the steamdeck close to your face anymore. Anything that works fine with a game controller, sure, but that one does not IMO.

rokket2005

Reaction score
You can use m/k with the steam deck too. The official valve dock has 3 usb ports, so put a book or whatever on your lap and m/k is fine playing on a tv.

wankerness

Reaction score
You can use m/k with the steam deck too. The official valve dock has 3 usb ports, so put a book or whatever on your lap and m/k is fine playing on a tv.
Yeah, I have seen the stands. But at that point you basically just have a laptop with a smaller screen. If she's primarily going to be doing M/K I would think a laptop actually might be the better option. I don't know most of the games he listed, but certainly Sims 4 and Stardew are wayyyy below what the Steam Deck is capable of, so if she's never going to play anything more advanced, then the price savings of a steam deck vs a "gaming laptop" would be removed a bit cause a pretty wimpy laptop could handle it.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Other interest in a laptop is it would replace our janky old "around the house" laptop we use for news, recipes, grocery and Amazon orders, Youtube and such.

Just want something not stupid huge like most "gaming" laptops are and that can run the stuff she likes with relative ease.

')