What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Yeah, I did practice with him a few times and had it down, but it's not quite the same practicing against him vs. actual enemies.
Every time you hit the parry button, hold it down. That way if you mess up the timing slightly you still block. The alternative is mash it as fast as possible, which works on a first playthrough, but it won't give you "perfect parries."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Every time you hit the parry button, hold it down. That way if you mess up the timing slightly you still block. The alternative is mash it as fast as possible, which works on a first playthrough, but it won't give you "perfect parries."

Yeah, I'm doing the holding it down method, but mostly I'm just a tad late when I try to do it. I don't know if it's because of input lag or if I'm just too slow, but I'm sure I'll get it if I just keep practicing.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Oh well... I am a weak man and I fired up Shadow of the Erdtree. Every now and then I get a feeling that it has been artificially made harder than the basegame. All the enemies take so much more punishment than ever before and they also make a shitton more damage. And what about those combos? Those are ridiculous. Enemies combo-wombo you to oblivion if given a chance. Oh well...

I did beat a few field/dungeon bosses and just now laid Divine Beast Dancin Lion to rest for good. I even surprised myself and beat in on the first try.

wankerness

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm doing the holding it down method, but mostly I'm just a tad late when I try to do it. I don't know if it's because of input lag or if I'm just too slow, but I'm sure I'll get it if I just keep practicing.
If you are playing on a TV make sure it's on Game Mode (or whatever the equivalent is for your TV - decreases picture quality very slightly to remove any lag). A lot of TVs that aren't on that mode have slight display lag that make sekiro in particular extremely difficult.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Made it thru "The Ocean Roars Again" tonight, the main level took longer than the boss given there's ZERO second chances if you get too close to the water; meanwhile on previous missions, if I got too close to the edge of a cliff, there's this whole animation you can still move during to backstep and avoid dying. I found all but 2 Kodama on my own, and one I should've have expected it to be there (near the hot springs) but I was just blinded for whatever reason.

I had 12 of the masks going into the fight, and wasted a few of them since he'd got me once with laser beam after using a couple, and another he jumped on me during; but I was able to get good burn damage on him between talismans/amulets, firebombs, and then the masks in the end. I saved my LW as well, now using Lightning damage, and it did a good chunk on him.

I'm level ...55 I think now, weapon stats are both 300+, one sword is like 327 and another 346, and my spear is ...maybe 315/330? Also getting high armor protection, I think helm is mid -60s, and then my body one is 120, and leg ~90, arms probably similar to helmet. Stats are an even split between heart/body/strength/skill/stamina.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
If you are playing on a TV make sure it's on Game Mode (or whatever the equivalent is for your TV - decreases picture quality very slightly to remove any lag). A lot of TVs that aren't on that mode have slight display lag that make sekiro in particular extremely difficult.
I always have it on game mode, but the picture goes through my amplifier so that could be adding some latency.
The reason for that setup is that my TV is pretty old and ARC (which was a brand new concept when I bought the TV) doesn't work properly on it, so if I connect everything directly to the TV and take the audio out, I only get stereo sound and even that only if everything is turned on in the exact right order :lol:

I'm planning on buying a new TV sometime soon, and hopefully that'll solve those problems...

wankerness

Reaction score
Made it thru "The Ocean Roars Again" tonight, the main level took longer than the boss given there's ZERO second chances if you get too close to the water; meanwhile on previous missions, if I got too close to the edge of a cliff, there's this whole animation you can still move during to backstep and avoid dying. I found all but 2 Kodama on my own, and one I should've have expected it to be there (near the hot springs) but I was just blinded for whatever reason.

I had 12 of the masks going into the fight, and wasted a few of them since he'd got me once with laser beam after using a couple, and another he jumped on me during; but I was able to get good burn damage on him between talismans/amulets, firebombs, and then the masks in the end. I saved my LW as well, now using Lightning damage, and it did a good chunk on him.

I'm level ...55 I think now, weapon stats are both 300+, one sword is like 327 and another 346, and my spear is ...maybe 315/330? Also getting high armor protection, I think helm is mid -60s, and then my body one is 120, and leg ~90, arms probably similar to helmet. Stats are an even split between heart/body/strength/skill/stamina.
I think that on the bulk of my playthrough I used the Tatenashi armor set, it's really good if you can find pieces of it. No way you're getting the smithing recipe anytime soon, it's stuck on some really nasty bonus level's boss. Warrior of the East set I used for most of Nioh 2 and I think it's pretty similarly good in Nioh 1, but didn't use it - gives a lot of bonuses if you have a spear build, and it's REALLY easy to farm since the guy that drops it and the accompanying spear is all by himself in a bonus level. Obsidian armor is good too but not with a sword/spear build, it's more for axes.

Make sure you start putting points into magic and ninjutsu (I forget what the actual stat is, skill maybe?? it is obvious when reading tooltips) and doing those training missions every time they pop up at the dojo, a few of those skills are indispensible. Quickchange scrolls and sloth spell are like the two most powerful things in the game. You probably want 30 in both eventually.

I need to play this game again. I started it on PC, but only got through like 2 regions before Nioh 2 went on sale for PC and I switched back to that and played it for another 200 hours. Weirdly Nioh 2 runs better on my crummy old PC than Nioh 1 does. I think the slightly streamlined graphics are the reason. I also never cleaned up all the achievements on it on PS5, cause NG++ is considerably harder in Nioh 1 than Nioh 2 and it has much nastier achievements related to it (ex doing every single optional DLC mission in it).

wankerness

Reaction score
I always have it on game mode, but the picture goes through my amplifier so that could be adding some latency.
The reason for that setup is that my TV is pretty old and ARC (which was a brand new concept when I bought the TV) doesn't work properly on it, so if I connect everything directly to the TV and take the audio out, I only get stereo sound and even that only if everything is turned on in the exact right order :lol:

I'm planning on buying a new TV sometime soon, and hopefully that'll solve those problems...
Yeah, receivers can absolutely introduce input lag if you're plugging the system into the receiver and then the system is going to the TV. I think your problem there is likely the receiver, not the TV. I would maybe try plugging the xbox right to the tv as an experiment and seeing how that goes.

I never have used ARC on my receiver, I guess I've just always used streaming apps on external devices so there was no reason I'd want the TV audio to be sent through the receiver. I bet that would add more lag, but I would think that feature would be irrelevant to this as long as you were connecting the xbox to the receiver instead of doing something like xbox -> TV -> receiver.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Yeah, receivers can absolutely introduce input lag if you're plugging the system into the receiver and then the system is going to the TV. I think your problem there is likely the receiver, not the TV. I would maybe try plugging the xbox right to the tv as an experiment and seeing how that goes.

I never have used ARC on my receiver, I guess I've just always used streaming apps on external devices so there was no reason I'd want the TV audio to be sent through the receiver. I bet that would add more lag, but I would think that feature would be irrelevant to this as long as you were connecting the xbox to the receiver instead of doing something like xbox -> TV -> receiver.

Yeah, ARC is supposed to be direct passthrough but for whatever reason the TV decides to convert everything to stereo. I can't mess around with it much either because someone's almost constantly occupying the TV :lol:

')