What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
IIRC the weird controls are present in all the MGS games from I to IV (or maybe III?). I mean: selecting weapons with the shoulder buttons, etc., etc. MGS III is the first one in the series were you can control the camera, and that's only in one of the two versions that exist.

It's an... acquired taste so to speak, from an era were controls weren't as standard as they are now. So you either play the games as they are or you don't.

And I did, it took some getting used to but I don't regret it.

I played both versions of MGS. I played Twin Snakes first, so I was not familiar enough with the original game as to care about the changes, but I played the PS1 version later and I think it was a little harder?

Anyway, these are archaic games, MGSV is almost 10 years old and probably the only one that could be considered "modern" by today's standards although I think IV is close and the gameplay is a weird mix between the "if they see you you're fucked" from the earlier games and "but you're free to do whatever you want" from V. It's more like a third person shooter in some ways, similar to Gears of War and games from that era of gaming.

Weird, the general vibe I've seen around MGS games is that IV is easily the worst and V is great

Maybe for the people who fell asleep watching 9 hours of cutscenes in IV (including a single 71min cutscene). If you're fast you can beat MGS twice while watching them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Maybe for the people who fell asleep watching 9 hours of cutscenes in IV (including a single 71min cutscene). If you're fast you can beat MGS twice while watching them.
To be fair I'd probably call a game with a 71 minute cutscene in it terrible too. Yakuza can test my patience sometimes and those actually have pretty good writers, unlike what I've seen of Kojima. And I think that there's only usually one or two cutscenes in a game that even might hit 30 minutes, let alone 71!!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, wouldn't you know it, taking a break from Nioh lead to me beating her on the second - maybe third? - attempt this evening. THANK GOD too, because she is NOT that challenging of a move set, but god damn does she have quick job recovery and the ability to cover the entire arena while doing so.

I did the mission side mission after her, which was surprisingly annoying with all the damn mages everywhere, and then the Twilight mission in that area; only thing remaining is to fight the gimmick boss for REAL when he's not possessed, and you just have to destroy crystals to beat him instead of actually fighting. He has a spear like myself, now that I think the one in using was his, so he'll be a PITA because of that, plus his entire arena dash attack. Gonna hold off until I'm higher level since those mission types always require being generously over-leveled.

So now I'm in the final region of the game, the last five or so missions remaining, looking forward to being done with it honestly. Not sure if I'll jump into Nioh 2 so quickly, probably a good idea to take a palette cleanser between.

wankerness

Reaction score
A break is good, cause nioh 2 is definitely the best souls-like currently existing and being burned out on nioh before starting it would probably ruin it. On the other hand your muscle memory and ability to understand systems will all decay over time so taking too long of a break before Nioh 2 will result in the same experience outlined in the Dunkey video.

wankerness

Reaction score
Oh boy, another cinematic trailer! Who the hell cares about cinematic trailers for videogames? Give me gameplay or don't bother, IMO. (directed at bioware not you brector)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
A break is good, cause nioh 2 is definitely the best souls-like currently existing and being burned out on nioh before starting it would probably ruin it. On the other hand your muscle memory and ability to understand systems will all decay over time so taking too long of a break before Nioh 2 will result in the same experience outlined in the Dunkey video.

Nah, definitely not long enough that I'd forget what I've learned from Nioh 1, just like a week or so off doing something else; plus it's not like it's the most complicated system in the world, high/mid/low stances that do high/mid/low levels of damage with a trade off being speed/ki recovery, and then the ki pulse is just ripping 'perfect reload' from Gears of War in an RPG setting.

Mathemagician

Reaction score

wankerness

Reaction score
Nah, definitely not long enough that I'd forget what I've learned from Nioh 1, just like a week or so off doing something else; plus it's not like it's the most complicated system in the world, high/mid/low stances that do high/mid/low levels of damage with a trade off being speed/ki recovery, and then the ki pulse is just ripping 'perfect reload' from Gears of War in an RPG setting.
It's more all the stats, all the ninjutsu and spells and knowing what they do, how damage types interact, how the blacksmith works, how the teahouse works and the "prestige stats," and then the additional systems Nioh 2 drops on top of that (enemies can drop "cores" which allow you to use one of their abilities,, there's a super parry ability for red attacks sorta like mikiri counter in sekiro). Plus just the general twitchiness required for avoiding enemy attacks and how to pressure/keep your ki up/cleanse pools while moving out of range etc. I think it might be easier than Nioh 1 but it's a LOT for a new player.

wankerness

Reaction score
Any early impressions from reputable sources? Would love a DA:O level game in terms of writing.

I didn’t play the second one, but was enjoying inquisition until my system froze, or file got corrupted. Idk it was like 7+ yrs ago. Still solid characters though from what I saw.
I like Inquisition. I've played through it a few times (360, PC, PS4). It has a lot of filler and crap sidequests, but the characters IMO are up to the level of Mass Effect 2/3 and the party interactions are great and the combat is far better than Dragon Age 1. This just looks terrible from what little I've seen, I hate the whole presentation of it, plus Bioware hasn't done anything good in like 15 years and has none of their original staff people anyway.

Latest posts

')