What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Made it to credits for Dark Souls. I definitely have some thoughts on it. I get why people praise it so much, primarily, the world design is very good, but at the same time, I think it's been exceeded in most ways in other Souls games. Having done ER before it, it feels like a really stripped down version of that. Kind of like they took the cheap / BS kind of play out of Demons Souls, but didn't quite fill the game back up with the modern trappings of ER yet. I didn't feel very motivated to try different builds or weapons or equipment or whatever, so much as just found something that worked for me and ran with it the whole game. I think I used the same two or three weapons, and one bow, from close to the beginning of the game. I did get really good at the parry though - which trivialized the final boss, for better or worse.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Made it to credits for Dark Souls. I definitely have some thoughts on it. I get why people praise it so much, primarily, the world design is very good, but at the same time, I think it's been exceeded in most ways in other Souls games. Having done ER before it, it feels like a really stripped down version of that. Kind of like they took the cheap / BS kind of play out of Demons Souls, but didn't quite fill the game back up with the modern trappings of ER yet. I didn't feel very motivated to try different builds or weapons or equipment or whatever, so much as just found something that worked for me and ran with it the whole game. I think I used the same two or three weapons, and one bow, from close to the beginning of the game. I did get really good at the parry though - which trivialized the final boss, for better or worse.
Did you get the "remastered" version? It sounds like you missed the DLC, which is probably the best part of the game, but is also something you'd probably never figure out how to get to without looking it up.

DS1 has a complex interlocking map which none of its sequels have come close to. Some of them have pieces that are like it, but none of them have you running around basically the entire world unlocking shortcuts, they all enable quick travel from the beginning and then don't worry so much about level design. Which is fine with me, but I get why people like DS1's map the most. It's definitely the most intricate. Elden Ring's is all connected and stuff, but it's got fast travel from the beginning and thus lacks all those cool shortcuts and has fewer ways to do alternate progression paths and stuff.

')