What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
I should play Doki Doki Literature Club before it gets spoiled.

I'd say play it if you're interested, you might like it (or not). It's free and it won't take more than, say, 3 or 4 hours to finish it. The first 1 or 2 hours can be BORING though. Absolutely nothing happens and I couldn't find anything compelling enough to keep playing besides my curiosity.

I played it knowing nothing beyond "The internet loves it" and "There's some kind of twist at some point".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I've been playing nothing but Cyberpunk, I'm about 50 hours in. I think I've done up to the final main mission, but obviously have side gigs all over the place, and am also a ways into the DLC stuff. I am consistently impressed by the world, but annoyed by some of the "chores." My least favorite of them is the DLC jerk "El Capitan" (I think he's DLC, anyway) who constantly is telling you to steal cars, and then invariably you have to drive them like 2.5 km minimum to some drop point, usually while he tells you there's a time limit or a damage done to the car limit, and it just sucks and totally interrupts whatever you're doing. I'm thinking about just ignoring him, but I bet he's like the other gig people where after you do a bunch of them it unlocks some final gig. I'm also a bit confused on the police scanner gigs, it seems like they only trigger if you get close to them and if you get out of range they vanish off your map until you get close to them again, so chasing those down will probably require a guide or something.

Been playing as a netrunner, nominally, but usually end up just headshotting everyone, tossing grenades, or attacking them with a katana if my ammo gets low. I think if I ever play this game again I'm going to go all in on "Body" and do a build with gorilla arms, cause that looks hilarious, and I'm barely taking advantage of the hacking anyway except to disable security cameras and turrets and occasionally light people on fire or blow up the grenade on their body.

brector

Reaction score
Finished up and platinumed Spider-Man 2. Now playing Ghost of Tsushima. I mistakenly thought this was a Souls-ike game and had skipped it. Man what a mistake, this game is amazing so far. Just happy to be getting my back-log down a few games.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've gone back to replay Prey, since I know I really enjoyed it when it came out, and sometimes it's nice to just do something you know you like already. It's not quite as challenging as I remember, but that could just be because I've seen a lot of it before, so I know what to expect and how to prepare. Also been going off the main path quite a bit just to do a lot of that "I wonder if I can get in here early" and "I wonder if I can solve this differently than the first time I did it" kind of stuff, which I think is leaving me over-powered for when I return to the critical path, but I'm perfectly fine with that.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Resident Evil 2 finally got released on GOG. Played for a few minutes and got a glitch where I could only walk forward/backward. Great port...

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
So, anyone try that Chinese Souls-clone (Wukong or whatever it's called) thing yet? Is it any good? It looks pretty decent at least based on some short clips I saw, but idk. It's not out on xbox yet though, I saw some mention about some memory leak they have to fix before release.

wankerness

Reaction score
So, anyone try that Chinese Souls-clone (Wukong or whatever it's called) thing yet? Is it any good? It looks pretty decent at least based on some short clips I saw, but idk. It's not out on xbox yet though, I saw some mention about some memory leak they have to fix before release.
That one is a pretty funny political football cause some of the developers were total assholes on social media, and that made all the total assholes in the western world proclaim the game THE ANTI-WOKE SAVIOR GAME OF ALL TIME and won't stfu about it. It's just a goddam action game where you're a monkey, and the only actual thing that could be described as a political statement is the fact they cut out most of the female characters from the original story, so they're all idiots. Anyway, it sounds like the game has a couple things in common with soulslikes (no difficulty settings, "bonfires," "estus flasks") but basically nothing else, and it's much more an action button-masher like God of War. I will buy it when it's like 50 bucks cause the console versions are supposed to be pretty rough in the performance department right now.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think I'm on a similar page as wankerness, where I have a passing curiosity maybe, but have no real interest in a game that has been mostly marketed so far as "it looks good and IT'S NOT WOKE". I read a review that said it was leaning pretty heavily on an audience that already mostly understands the subject material. Maybe I'll try it some day if it comes to one of the subscription services.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll probably also give it a spin when I can get it for 20€ or something. Maybe sooner if someone actually says it's good :lol: The fact it's based on Chinese mythology is kinda interesting since I don't know anything about it, but other than that I guess it looks kinda generic.

wankerness

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll probably also give it a spin when I can get it for 20€ or something. Maybe sooner if someone actually says it's good :lol: The fact it's based on Chinese mythology is kinda interesting since I don't know anything about it, but other than that I guess it looks kinda generic.
The chinese mythology thing would be a selling point if it didn't assume you were already familiar with it. I had similar issues with games like Nioh, Wo Long, Rise of the Ronin, or even Like a Dragon: Isshin, since all of them like, are designed for people that already know the history and people involved in the story and if you don't it's just a whirlwind of cool stuff that doesn't fully connect or make any sense. And it's not like a game like Dark Souls where it is intentionally vague, it's supposed to make sense but doesn't bother adjusting the story for non-Japanese audiences. I think it's kind of the equivalent of a game like some of the Assassin's Creed games where they'll just casually drop Leonardo Da Vinci or George Washington or whatever into them and assume you the player already know roughly who they are.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
The chinese mythology thing would be a selling point if it didn't assume you were already familiar with it.

Yeah, that could potentially suck. But maybe it'll trigger enough interest to read into it. I doubt most players will have the attention span to do that, but I for one might, if the game presents it well enough. I don't really expect it to, tbh, but you never know...
Still, cool to see a game that's a bit out of the box in that way succeed the way it apparently has.

Edit:
Huh, the book it's based on actually sounds interesting. Maybe I'll look into reading it after I finish the HP Lovecraft collection I'm currently reading.

Last edited:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
As a rule I don't install Chinese software on anything I own. Strictly factory soft/hardware exploits for me. Also American ones of all kinds.

That monke game can go fuck anyways. Looks mid as shit.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It would be very hard to know if you're running "Chinese software". Almost all software at this point has contributions from all over the place. I'd put money on you having played a video game that contained some amount of software written by someone who was in China at the time.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Started Mass Effect: Androgynous. It's actually pretty good so far. All the classic bullshit from the trilogy like ass tier gunplay and drawn out ability leveling is in full force, but now with more option paralysis. Those things never ruined the other ME titles for me, some of them are even just tradeoffs and not negatives, but I have never really enjoyed it about them regardless of the games being extremely fun and fulfilling otherwise. The story has me gripped from the jump, and in my opinion has a good pace to the setup- which most games completely do not. I haven't dug into a lot of the customization mechanics yet, there's really no point right now as far as I can tell, but down the road it seems like something I will goof around with a little bit and then just set and forget. I can't remember what class and background I chose. In the other games I would replay them as a different class with different squads, and I don't really have a favorite. I recall combo detonations were critical in the past if you could configure your ammo and abilities correctly.

When this game came out and it got dragged like crazy for being greatly unfinished and graphically odd. Maybe I got a later facelifted distro or something, but I haven't updated any of my Xbone games and the characters look fine to me. I haven't seen any bugs in the first two hours or so. It's definitely not an improvement on the previous ME games, but it's definitely not the utter shite which many reviewers cried about endlessly. I think I paid four dollars for this, which of course is a drastic change in perspective from being a (dumbass) pre-order customer, but so far I feel like it was a screamin deal for me.

Werecow

Reaction score
Still playing System Shock remake. About 10 hours in and finally a few pieces of the plot (and how to achieve it) finally came together :lol:
Inventory space is pretty limited at first, so i've got a few rooms on different decks where i drop supplies and guns i'm not using. The game remembers everything you drop.

The game has an oldschool map annotation feature, which is invaluable. My maps are filled with them, marking quest features and items, and where i've dropped supplies. I think it'd be a nightmare to play without that feature, as i keep finding what look like important plot areas completely out of order. There's no restriction on what order you go lots of the different decks, so having to backtrack to try to find some unmarked machine or room 10 hours later would be frustrating. I think the best advice i'd have for this game would be to start annotating any interactable area or object you don't know the function of right from the start of the game. Also, really actively pay attention to any voice logs and emails.

Shodan still creeps me the hell out :lol: I love the voice actor.

')