What Genre should be Bulb/Periphery/Fellsilent/Tesseract named under?

• Thread starter AeonSolus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_detox

lurkin'.
Reaction score
Call them 'meshuggah influenced metal'.

In fact Meshuggah should just have their own sub-genre.

It's funny because the Ernie Ball Battle of the Bands thing for Warped Tour had "Meshuggah Metal" as a subgenre amongst all the other types. :lol:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
ok i was always curious about the whole djent thing... the threads that i've found about it haven't really given me a good answer so i figured i'd just ask now... is djent an actual genre or is it just onomatopoeia? i thought it was just used to describe the sound made when u chug (for lack of a better word) on the lower strings and could thus potentially be used to describe any band, genre, song, what-have-you that utilized that sound...

am i way off?

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
It was originally used as an onomatopoeia for a palm-muted 4-note power chord iirc, but its meaning is starting to be applied to the whole neo-Meshuggah type playing. It's not a genre, but a playing technique.

hypermagic

Fusion Neophyte
Reaction score
MILOTIC METAL

g811655_milotic_2.jpg

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I've just listened to Tesseract. Awesome band! Very atmospheric and melodic - which is precisely I dig Periphery so much in lieu of Meshuggah and Sikth.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i just have to re-state my opinion about using "djent" as a genre-description. many of the bands that are cast under that genre don´t even djent. ever. or maybe don´t even have a djent-ish kind of tone at all. lots of metal would be called "chug-metal" if we all used this logic :p

i think it´s just progressive metal (except not the medieval fairytales kind :p), or maybe just groove-ish metal with nice melodic content.

i think the only correct genre is "metal", and then you can put some explanatory words in front or behind it so your friends know what you´re on about :p

')