What guages for 26.5 inch scale?

• Thread starter AARRGGHHH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AARRGGHHH

Fretboard Wizzard
Reaction score
Well, I decided on getting a C7 blackjack. Should be getting it tomorrow.
I was just wondering what would be a good set of guages to try, I would like to pretty much keep my current string tension, just with a clearer sound.
I currently use 10-52's with a 70 on the low string (25.5 scale). I was thinking about using a normal set of 10s with maybe a 66 for the low string.

Just interested on others opinions on this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Id say try out the elixir baritone set. 12-68 and add a high E string of your own choice. I havent looked back, and Im using them on my 26.5" hellraiser. Oh and the D-string isnt wounded so you should replace that one too if you dont like that.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
well the scale is longer you may wanna go a tad lighter, with the longer scale the current set you have is gonna be tighter than a virgin's ___.

AARRGGHHH

Fretboard Wizzard
Reaction score
Id say try out the elixir baritone set. 12-68 and add a high E string of your own choice. I havent looked back, and Im using them on my 26.5" hellraiser. Oh and the D-string isnt wounded so you should replace that one too if you dont like that.

That sounds pretty good, not too fond of elixirs anymore though. Yeah, would definatley want to change the D.

well the scale is longer you may wanna go a tad lighter, with the longer scale the current set you have is gonna be tighter than a virgin's ___.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking. I think it would destroy my fingers.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Well, I decided on getting a C7 blackjack. Should be getting it tomorrow.
I was just wondering what would be a good set of guages to try, I would like to pretty much keep my current string tension, just with a clearer sound.
I currently use 10-52's with a 70 on the low string (25.5 scale). I was thinking about using a normal set of 10s with maybe a 66 for the low string.

Just interested on others opinions on this.

It wouldn't even be 1 pound more tension, if you like what you've got just stick with it. :wavey:

AARRGGHHH

Fretboard Wizzard
Reaction score
It wouldn't even be 1 pound more tension, if you like what you've got just stick with it. :wavey:

Actually I do have a spare set for 10-70 lying about, can't hurt to try I s'pose. Saves me buying new string right away as well at least.
I just wanted to get away from using such a massive string for the low B, ends up sounding a bit too warm for my setup. I'll give a go and see how it sounds, i'd imagine it might be a little brighter on the longer scale.
hmmm

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've got 25.5", 26.5" and 27" scale 7's and I've used the same string set on all of them tuned in standard. There's a little bit more tension on the extended scales, but not a great deal. I'd use the same gauge as you already do. It will be brighter and more defined though.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Remember that as the string gets longer it gets easier to bend. So I'd say start out with the gauges you're used to. If it's too tight you can always mess around until you find gauges you like.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you want the same tension then yeah the 10-68 would be about right. If you dont like the tone you can try a slightly lighter gauge or different brand.

Coiso

Reaction score
i'm was having the same line of thought, i'm using 0.09 on my seven with 26.6 inch scale, i was planning on going 11. what do you think? all my six stringers use 10, and some of them are extended scale too.
what do you think? will i need to take steroids to be able to bend it?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm with Metalfiend - I've got two sevens, a 25.5" UV7PWH, and a 26.5" C7 Blackjack. I string 'em both with Elixer 10's and a .68 low B. Sure, the C7 is a tiny bit tighter feeling, but I have no problems going back and forth between the two.

Besides, if you string 'em both the same, it's WAY easier to keep spares on hand... ;)

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with Metalfiend - I've got two sevens, a 25.5" UV7PWH, and a 26.5" C7 Blackjack. I string 'em both with Elixer 10's and a .68 low B. Sure, the C7 is a tiny bit tighter feeling, but I have no problems going back and forth between the two.

Besides, if you string 'em both the same, it's WAY easier to keep spares on hand... ;)

which set of 10s are you using?

AARRGGHHH

Fretboard Wizzard
Reaction score

Yeah, having both the same would make things easier.

I was thinking about moving over to GHS strings, get a bit more brightness out of the strings. But I had band practice and got to play loud the other day, and I didn't have a problem with brightness at all. Everything was really clear and punchy, and the cleans were beautifull. Beat all of my other guitars hands down in every respect. I even came out feeling less tired because the C7 is lighter than my RG7321.
I would have thought the C7 would be heavier being mahogany with more neck on it, must be a light bit of mahogany and a heavy bit of basswood I s'pose.

I think I'll just order loads of single strings or custom sets or something. Make sets of 10-52 with a 68 or something for the low string. Then I'll use them for both sevens.

')