What guitar pick do you use?

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
I've found I really like this one:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Dragonsheart picks. It's like having 3 picks in 1 for whatever way suits you. Give me great grip and better picking. Lasts almost forever on me. I could not go back to normal picks eversince I started using them.

dragons-heart-picks-twitter.JPG
Dragon's Heart Hardened picks for me too.

I used to really like the Dunlop 3 mm stubby jazz picks for their durability. Being a full-time guitar tech and going through a few picks a week made me look for something else with more durability. I have been using the same 6 Dragon's Heart picks for years now--you really try not to lose them at $12 per pick. The GT picks are also great, a bit softer feel than the hardened. The glass fiber fill in the Hardened line gives a nice impact to the strings as opposed to the GT having carbon fiber fill.

Reaction score
Just got some Jazz III max grips. I never used Jazz IIIs before so I wanted to try them out. What the fuck kinda small ass shit is this? This picks are the smallest picks I've ever seen in my life and they pretty much disappear when I try to use one. Wakanda shit is this babyhand nonsense?

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Black Tortex Jazz III 1.14 mm picks are what I use. I have the red nylon Jazz IIIs that I bought in 2015 as well which I also like.

When I am playing more chords, I prefer the regular Dunlop Nylons (1mm) or Gators (0.96mm...which I bought in 2009 and I still have them!).

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Just got some Jazz III max grips. I never used Jazz IIIs before so I wanted to try them out. What the fuck kinda small ass shit is this? This picks are the smallest picks I've ever seen in my life and they pretty much disappear when I try to use one. Wakanda shit is this babyhand nonsense?
Try it out for two weeks dude. Yes, it's tiny. Took me a couple week of transition, now they're all I use since I was 16.

Reaction score
Try it out for two weeks dude. Yes, it's tiny. Took me a couple week of transition, now they're all I use since I was 16.
Ain't nobody got time for these little ass malnourished picks. Play wise they're alright but I'll stick to my regular Max Grips. Ol' sminimal ass little bit of shit. How the hell you gon charge me full price for half a pick? Are they gonna send me the rest of it in installments?

Metropolis

Reaction score
Ain't nobody got time for these little ass malnourished picks. Play wise they're alright but I'll stick to my regular Max Grips. Ol' sminimal ass little bit of shit. How the hell you gon charge me full price for half a pick? Are they gonna send me the rest of it in installments?

:lol: Try the XL-sized versions of Jazz III, they're much better for non-babyhands. Or the Flow ones.

I have settled to use these in the last few years, before I played with lot of different Jazz III's.

24433100006.MAIN__22349.jpg

Ross82

Reaction score
Dunlop Tortex .88mm for 30 years but just started using EB Everlast 1.0mm and they seem pretty nice, good grip on them. I used to do the razor blade scoring thing with the Tortex when I was live playing for better sweat grip.

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
When I first started it do for a super thin pick. Later I switched to a green .88 tortex, and a few years later went up to a purple 1.14. Somehow I ended up trying the 1.14 purple sharp, and now I can only gel with sharps. I really like how the sharp point grabs the strings and gives a crisp attack. I have a bunch of others to mess around with, white fangs, black fangs, an assortment of the JP picks, but I always stick with the purple sharp for the most part.

Stiman

Reaction score
1.14mm Dunlop Tortex Jazz III.
I sometimes drill some holes to improve grip.

Attachments

• 31CEF5DB-C989-44B6-9317-B9DC0C8B1022.jpeg
    31CEF5DB-C989-44B6-9317-B9DC0C8B1022.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10

wakjob

Reaction score
Recently spent $47 on one of those 'Blue Chip' picks.... still warming up to it.
It definitely changes the sound from the Jazz II & III which is my normal.

DingmanHardman

Reaction score
Green Dunlops, and Clayton shark picks for the longessssttttt time, but recently have been forcing myself to get used to Red Jazzi III max grips

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Still using Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0s and have been using nearly forever that it's hard to use anything else. I do use Gravity Classic Standard 2s every now and then though.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
1659611404614.png
I went from 1.35 to 1.14 a year ago
When I was a youngster I used big stubby 2 or 3 mm
I tried the Prodigy...
I must say that most of the picks are more player friendly than the Tortex Sharp...much more player friendly, but I prefer the tone of the sharp pick to the tone of the rounded pick

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
Fun seeing the variety and how people have changed their choices over time! For years I used either 0.73 or 0.88 Tortex and served me well, but in the last few months I started focusing on cleaning up my shred game. Playing through a variety of Jazz III, currently what feels best is the red nylon Jazz III and 1.14 Tortex. I like the Tortex XL version though when playing for a long time since I can readjust my grip easily and fast.

Stiman

Reaction score
Fun seeing the variety and how people have changed their choices over time! For years I used either 0.73 or 0.88 Tortex and served me well, but in the last few months I started focusing on cleaning up my shred game. Playing through a variety of Jazz III, currently what feels best is the red nylon Jazz III and 1.14 Tortex. I like the Tortex XL version though when playing for a long time since I can readjust my grip easily and fast.
Have you tried the Flow Tortex pick? It’s like the Jazz XL but slightly different shape. Same material.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
Have you tried the Flow Tortex pick? It’s like the Jazz XL but slightly different shape. Same material.
I have but couldn’t quite gel with it, same as the TIII. Surprisingly the size makes a difference in handling, even though my grip has the same exposed tip hitting the strings. The XL seemed to provide the compromise I wanted. But I will give it another shot, try a different thickness. I have heard good things about Flow so I don’t want to write it off yet!

')