What guitar pick do you use?

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Clayton Acetal 1.21mm in their regular "pick" shape.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
tortex/star pick 1.14 mm for years and years, then convinced myself I hated their attack last year.

really digging a 2.5mm dunlop flow these days, the 3mm isn't bad either.

Dayn

Reaction score
Max-grip Jazz III. I mostly use the carbon fibre ones, but the material doesn't matter to me much.

I don't mind larger picks, either in size or thickness. But the larger ones I've tried don't have grip, so it always surprises me how easily they slip out of my fingers. I think I've settled on my pick-for-life.

WillyTheMLGPro

Reaction score
85% of the time when playing anything distorted, I use the Tortex TIII .60 since I pick really hard.

The rest of the time I use the John Petrucci Flow picks for anything Clean or strumming since they glide extremely well and I don't want that "Thwack" with thinner picks.

shiyu

Reaction score
Those Carbon Fiber Jazz IIIs are the greatest pick I have ever used. I've gone through a lot of picks and regularly buy more but nothing ever surpasses the playability of those little fuckers. Close runners up are the Ernie Ball Prodigy Mini and the Winspear Mini Shiv.

Noodler

Riffing and chill
Reaction score
I played the Ernie Ball Prodigy 1.5mm picks for a a while but they're just too pointed for my playing. I've swapped to the red Jazz III's and love them.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I have a large collective pot of picks here and I'll usually grab some random thing by whatever new company on the off chance something better comes along. But after many years, my favorite has emerged as:

Winspear Fountainhead sig

18553975_10155551391224384_535617466_o_1024x1024.jpg

And my gf's is:

Winspear purity shiv
Winspear_Picks_Purity_Broadsword_III_1024x1024.jpg

Didn't think I'd move on from jazz grips but the texture on the fountainhead one is nice and never catches the string the way the jazzes can. And neither chirps the way a lot of boutique picks do.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
You mean functionally?
I have a bunch of picks from them and functionally they're fine (not sure about the goofy ass mjolnir shape though) but the materials used just don't hold up compared to harder wearing stuff like UHMPWE or Katchin. I think for that kind of money I'd recommend BHL or Blue chip tbh.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Ultex Jazz III and recently been digging the Prodigy 2.0mm. Felt too unwieldy at first but now it’s great.

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
Been using the Eric Johnson Jazz III since forever, tried using normal sized picks and just felt gross haha. Recently been using the Ernie Ball Prodigy 1.5mm and liking it for it's sharp tip.

DarrellM5

Reaction score
V-pick Screamers for electric. They work great for me and last a really long time.
Dunlop Gator Grip .96 for acoustic. Great feel with minimal pick noise.

Latest posts

')