What guitar picks do you use ?

• Thread starter AC.Lin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
ive never been picky(ha) about gauges but im a huge fan of tortex sharps. currently the 1.14 but ill use .88 and .73 often also

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dobbinlecher

Reaction score
I use really thin picks, and right now I can't make up my mind between InTune .50 Xtra Jumbo Jazz and Dunlop nylon standard .73. I wish Dunlop would make a .73 nylon jazz III xl.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I was using Dunlops Petrucci picks forever, but I recently ordered a few different types of Dunlop Flow picks to give them a try. Jury still out, but they're good picks. Seem to cover everything from shredding to strumming well enough with a good grip to boot.

AC.Lin

Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop
Reaction score
I was using Dunlops Petrucci picks forever, but I recently ordered a few different types of Dunlop Flow picks to give them a try. Jury still out, but they're good picks. Seem to cover everything from shredding to strumming well enough with a good grip to boot.
The new Flow picks are the one i want to try the most. Which one did you get ? And which ones do you prefer or recommend ?
How do they compare to tortex/ultex jazz III ?

zarg

Reaction score
I use Tortex .88mm, the green ones. they last a long time and are the perfect balance between thick enough for fast attack and thin enough to be a bit flexible and not knock the string sharp upon striking it for me.

I tried out the Gravity picks for a while - pretty cool, very durable but too pricy. In the end they are just too thick for me. I also like the Ultex Sharp, they feel very similiar to the Tortex but with a pointier end.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Hufschmid Mini Anvil XL

LOVE the pick but I need to order a new one. It lasted me probably 1.5-2 years but now it's pushing 3-3.5 and the tip is too worn out for great results.

Might try out some other custom guitars picks though. The Winspear starter pack + Stealth Battleaxe looks very nice, but the thickness still isn't that comparable.

AC.Lin

Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop
Reaction score
Hufschmid Mini Anvil XL

LOVE the pick but I need to order a new one. It lasted me probably 1.5-2 years but now it's pushing 3-3.5 and the tip is too worn out for great results.

Might try out some other custom guitars picks though. The Winspear starter pack + Stealth Battleaxe looks very nice, but the thickness still isn't that comparable.
I love Hufshmid picks, but they are way too expensive for what it is in my opinion.

dobbinlecher

Reaction score
they make them in .73 nylon? You'll have to give me a link to them. I tried the Tortex flex .73 jazz iii xl, but they're stiffer than nylon.

Reaction score
welcome bro, let me know what you think about them. I'm wondering if there exists a pick out there that's even better than the big stubby 3mm :DD
Check out V-Picks, most of their models are pretty thick. I've got a 4.5mm pick called the Infinity that glides over the strings like nothing else I've used. Their Dimension Jr. is one of my favorites, its 4.10mm at the thickest but it tapers down to a nice durable point so its great for fast alternate picking or just strumming chords. I've also found that the V-Picks have less pick noise compared to the Big Stubby's.

Very thick picks feel like playing with a brick or something. How do you thick pick guys feel about... let's say picks 1.5mm and lighter?
I'm very much a thick pick kinda guy but only when I'm warming up or trying to improve my technique. Thick picks have helped lighten my grip while picking which has done a lot for my playing. I also like the stiffness of the thicker picks but the main one I use is actually a Pickboy 1.14mm carbon nylon pick, the things last for-fucking-ever and they're so stiff compared to other picks of the same thickness, truly the best I've used.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
61Po9qd9VmL._SX425_.jpg

These have always been my go to pick for a good amount of my playing.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Jazz III max grip carbon fiber have been my go-to for the longest time. They're the classic Jazz III shape, but have a better gripping surface. The raised lettering as a grip on the standard Jazz IIIs always irritated my index finger, these have a larger gripping surface. The downside to these is that they're not as sharp as the normal Jazz IIIs.

I recently discovered a pack of Jazz III 2.0s in my box of guitar stuff that I'd forgotten about. These are also good and are a bit thicker with a bit sharper of a tip. I may switch.

I'd like to try out the flow picks, but I had a GC giftcard and they don't seem to have them yet.

Masoo2

Reaction score
I love Hufshmid picks, but they are way too expensive for what it is in my opinion.
Yeah, seeing other custom picks go for $20 or less makes the price sting a little, but getting 2 years+ out of a pick honestly makes it worth it for me. Well, that and the comfort of course.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Yeah, seeing other custom picks go for $20 or less makes the price sting a little, but getting 2 years+ out of a pick honestly makes it worth it for me. Well, that and the comfort of course.

Knowing me I would definitely lose that pick within the 2 years :lol:

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Dunlop Jazz III XL (0.73 mm)
- The Jazz III XL's are the perfect size for me, larger than a regular Jazz III and smaller than a standard Dunlop.
- For me these work well on all of my guitars in various tunings/string gauges. Not too thick but still thick enough to be able to dig in.

I find picks thicker than .73 tend to get a little too bassy for me and start to muddy up my tone a little and I lose mid-range and high-end detail.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I'm all about that Dunlop 500 delrin life these days:

41P96-large.jpg

I can't do tiny little jazz picks, or the thiccccc picccccs all the kids are into these days. I need some flex and some finger real estate. I wish there was a Dunlop 500 that was just a touch thinner than the .96, like maybe a .90 or a .85, but the next thinnest one is a .71 and that's a bit too thin.

...when I'm playing guitar, that is. I'm primarily a bassist the past couple years, and I use my fingers for that, because I am a man.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
V pick small lite:

https://v-picks.com/shop/small-pointed-lite/

I’ve tried nearly everything and these are the smoothest for alt picking and sweep arpeggios. Effortless across the strings (just glides) and easy to hold onto. Also love that they’re symmetrical so when one point wears down you have two more to use on the same pick. Justifies the price a little more. Pick the clear or emerald green. Both 1.5 mm perfect for someone coming from Dunlop Jazz or JP Picks.

')