What guitar picks do you use ?

• Thread starter AC.Lin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Normally gravitate between Dunlop JP Jazz IIIs and Jazz III v2s, but these have been my jam lately, Planet Waves NYLPRO 1.4mms.
tvqpm5umy9bu89cpokhl.jpg

Curious about these Flow pics though...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Hufschmid [...]

I've been using Hufschmid since 2013, and they have been amazing for my technique and tone. I was skeptical about the ergonomic claims at first, but they actually helped in multiple ways.

Recently I bought Winspear's Shivh IV Bundle. They feel and look very nice, and give me interesting tones, but are not as useful to me as the Hufschmid. I'm keeping them though, for the tone variety. I suspect that W's BattleAxe picks will be better for me than the Shivh's, so I'm thinking about getting a bunch of them.

Lasik124

Reaction score
I love trying and finding new picks

Right now I use Dunlop Nylon .88's for most things, and Planet Waves Black Ice for Metal/Fast picking. I think the Black Ice are about 1.10 but I forget. For acoustic guitar I dig the Dava Grips.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
Curious about these Flow pics though...

I just got the Andy James, Petrucci, and plain FLOW picks a couple days ago. I was skeptical, but I have to say, they definitely make string transitions smoother. All three actually sound different as well, at least unplugged. I personally liked the plain FLOW picks because the grip is stellar. AJ picks are second, with Petrucci's third. All personal preference though.

They are definitely quality picks.

Gunderslam

Reaction score
I typically will use the Dunlop Jazz III XL picks in a .88mm and I have a Gravity Sunrise Standard 1.5 pick I'll use for leads every now and again.

feraledge

Reaction score
I just got the Andy James, Petrucci, and plain FLOW picks a couple days ago. I was skeptical, but I have to say, they definitely make string transitions smoother. All three actually sound different as well, at least unplugged. I personally liked the plain FLOW picks because the grip is stellar. AJ picks are second, with Petrucci's third. All personal preference though.

They are definitely quality picks.
Are your plain ones Jumbo? Correct me if I'm wrong, AJ's are jumbo and JP's are more Jazz III, correct? I'll be in the city tomorrow and I'll be really amped if GC has them in stock.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
Yeah, the plain ones are definitely bigger than the AJ/JP ones.

raytsh

Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure? The AJ ones look huge... Sure, the JP ones are about Jazz III XL size, from what I know, maybe slightly bigger.

I've used Dunlop Primetone Jazz III XL in the past (1.4mm) but I'm getting into thicker picks again right now. Currently I use Winspear Shiv Amber 4mm tapered. They are great! The shape and size is comparable to the Jazz III XL.

https://www.winspearinstrumental.com/collections/products/products/amber-shiv

In general, I like the various materials and shapes Winspear provides. Though the picks are quite expensive.

That said, I've just ordered some of the Petrucci Flow Picks 2mm, looking forward to tying these out.

Last edited:

Restarted

Reaction score
Dunlop 427PJP John Petrucci Jazz III
Dunlop 47R3S Nylon Jazz III

Don't see myself changing anytime soon.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
JazzIII's sound like ass and suck for most things that isn't single note shred, but I've been using them for most of my life :lol: They're good for precision but not wide, fast funky movements. Tonally they're stubby, dull and have an attack that gets really unpleasant when you start stacking guitars, not great for clean strumming. It's better when you turn them around and use a rounded edge but then they're so rounded it's hard to play single notes.

I'm experimenting with the mother of all boring picks now, the grey Dunlop Nylon .60 :lol: It's not as precise for really fast single-note stuff but it's more versatile and sounds nice, just makes me want to practice a little bit more.

What I'm looking for now is a thin, regular size pick with a jazz tip and a textured grip for the occasional The Edge impression. Don't know if there is one like that.

Last edited:

Power2theMetal

The deal was rigged
Reaction score
I generally only buy Winspear Shiv plectrums at this point, as I love dealing with Tom and because he's a small business who I enjoy supporting. I love the different variations of the plectrum, but prefer the Bone (blood splatter when I can get it) and Amber (has a really nice grip) the most. Sometimes when I have to do a fast tremolo, I'll switch to a BHL Antagonist plectrum because it has a little more meat and thickness to it, and BHL makes great plectrums as well. I used to utilize the Yellow Tortex picks, or the stubby style Jazz 3 picks but have found that the tone you get when recording is a little off-putting for me (tortex giving a floppy flap, and the stubby giving a high pitched squeak).

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I've been using Hufschmid since 2013, and they have been amazing for my technique and tone. I was skeptical about the ergonomic claims at first, but they actually helped in multiple ways.

Recently I bought Winspear's Shivh IV Bundle. They feel and look very nice, and give me interesting tones, but are not as useful to me as the Hufschmid. I'm keeping them though, for the tone variety. I suspect that W's BattleAxe picks will be better for me than the Shivh's, so I'm thinking about getting a bunch of them.

Try Purple Plectrums then. Great ergonomics
www.purpleplectrums.com

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
Are you sure? The AJ ones look huge... Sure, the JP ones are about Jazz III XL size, from what I know, maybe slightly bigger.

I've used Dunlop Primetone Jazz III XL in the past (1.4mm) but I'm getting into thicker picks again right now. Currently I use Winspear Shiv Amber 4mm tapered. They are great! The shape and size is comparable to the Jazz III XL.

https://www.winspearinstrumental.com/collections/products/products/amber-shiv

In general, I like the various materials and shapes Winspear provides. Though the picks are quite expensive.

That said, I've just ordered some of the Petrucci Flow Picks 2mm, looking forward to tying these out.

I attached a comparison pic here: https://imgur.com/a3mSYnr

The purple pick is your standard size Dunlop Tortex pick. The black Tortex is the Jazz III Tortex.

Last edited:

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
The standard flow picks are roughly the size of an Jazz III XL. The petruccis are standard size (maybe a hair smaller). The Andy James are Jumbo size and are huge.

I play Jazz III and Black Ice picks and the standard flows are waaaaayy too big for me. If you play regular jazz size picks, these will be too large for you. XL players might like them.

The bevel is very pronounced. To the point that you have to hit the string much harder to get the same response out of the string you do with tortex, delrin material

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
What I'm looking for now is a thin, regular size pick with a jazz tip and a textured grip for the occasional The Edge impression. Don't know if there is one like that.

I'm in the same boat as you with the Jazz III's but the FLOWs have replaced them now. As far as a thin regular sized pick, I use the USA Nylon .38mm for strumming. It's not ideal for shred or anything, but it really makes chords sound smooth to me, and it's textured at the grip point.

feraledge

Reaction score
Went to pick up some Flows today. Shockingly, GC dudes never heard of them. Giving these a shot instead: Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0. So far I'm digging it:
24475300017.BACK.jpg

')