What guitar picks do you use ?

• Thread starter AC.Lin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I recently ventured into high end picks and found that no matter what, I just kept going back to the dunlop jazz IIIs (tortex).

I tried dragonheart guitar picks, chicken picks, gravity picks, some wood ones of a brand I can't remember, bone, brass... just about everything... none of them compare to the precision and feel that the dunlops provide.

Though I also use similar Jazz III style picks from Jackson. They're just about the same, but slightly pointier.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
I've been on the .88mm Tortex Sharps for about four years now :metal: no plans to change that, either.

I bought these a couple years ago, and still try them occasionally, but just can't seem to play well with them. Everything sounds extremely scrapy and/or feels clumsy. Changing pick angle doesn't seem to help much either, then it just feels off. But people who use them swear by them, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, I dunno.

I usually stick to the green .88 Jazz III XLs. Sometimes I'll use 73, or use the regular Jazz III or TIII. Sometimes I also fuck around with the Petruccis, but "the green ones" are what I usually go for :lol:

Last edited:

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I bought these a couple years ago, and still try them occasionally, but just can't seem to play well with them. Everything sounds extremely scrapy and/or feels clumsy. Changing pick angle doesn't seem to help much either, then it just feels off. But people who use them swear by them, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, I dunno.

I usually stick to the green .88 Jazz III XLs. Sometimes I'll use 73, or use the regular Jazz III or TIII. Sometimes I also fuck around with the Petruccis, but "the green ones" are what I usually go for :lol:

I'm sure I've changed my right hand technique a bit since I got into the sharps. I play a good amount of clean/ambient stuff, so that took some adjustment to sound "right" with those picks. Now I'm just too used to it to go back to a regular tip :lol:

I was using Jazz III XL Stiffos and Petrucci Jazz picks before I got into the Sharps. Couldn't get used to the JP ones, but the Stiffos were my go-to for a good while.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I have a lot of picks and more on the way lololol
The first box is the ones I actually use most of the time
The second box is my extras of the ones I use (in 2 leftmost rows) and the ones I don't like (in 3 rightmost rows)
If you see anything that catches your eye I'll be happy to answer.
I recently tried the D'Andrea Delrex triangles and they're not that great. A lot of them came bent and bend easily compared to Dunlop Tortex triangles.
I also tried D'Addario Precision in 1.5mm and they also came slightly bent. Really throws off playing imo.
I'd liked to get a Blue Chip TAD60-1R sometime soon and a BHL Antagonist #3.

cay2j70xiec5zyi6g.jpg

857l7x2976m2on56g.jpg

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I have a lot of picks and more on the way lololol
The first box is the ones I actually use most of the time
The second box is my extras of the ones I use (in 2 leftmost rows) and the ones I don't like (in 3 rightmost rows)
If you see anything that catches your eye I'll be happy to answer.
I recently tried the D'Andrea Delrex triangles and they're not that great. A lot of them came bent and bend easily compared to Dunlop Tortex triangles.
I also tried D'Addario Precision in 1.5mm and they also came slightly bent. Really throws off playing imo.
I'd liked to get a Blue Chip TAD60-1R sometime soon and a BHL Antagonist #3.

cay2j70xiec5zyi6g.jpg

857l7x2976m2on56g.jpg
I would say this is absurd, but if I said that, you probably wouldn't be unhappy with me, and I want some... so yeah.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
Hard to beat the nylon Jazz III... it's perfectly hard, sharp and red. Single best piece of equipment I ever bought; my playing instantly became more precise and powerful, and it's easy to find when I drop it.

I also use the lighter gray nylon Dunlop for strumming. It's like switching from sticks to brushes.

Last edited:

Dayn

Reaction score
Dunlop max-grip carbon fibre Jazz III.

I've been using them exclusively for maybe 6 years or so now. Small and easy to use. Good texture to hold. Stiff and precise. Very little wear.

I still use a couple that I bought 5 or so years ago. They're extremely difficult to wear down even a fraction. I usually drop them and they vanish into the aether before they show any sign of use.

tuttermuts

Reaction score
Pretty much whatever I find at the local stores and find interesting. I try never to settle on one pick for too long because you always find something new to keep your expression fresh. Years ago I only played jazz III's and after a while it kinda became stale. But that's how that works for me, everyone has a different take on that.

Grooven

Reaction score
I'm really ok with any thick pick. I hate the thin floppy ones unless I'm strumming an acoustic.

I'd like to believe I'm not 'pick'y anyway but I do tend to mainly use these. I have to say Sir, I like your style these picks are the shizz

Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0mm

Edit: The purple I believe adds to the tone.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Yes, $27 later, I have the Artist, Jazz III variety, big stubby 2.0 and Ultex. Having much fun with the Stubby so far.
Similar boat, got some Big Stubby 3.0s last week and have been really enjoying them. I do with the finger indentation went a tiny bit further down though. I still reposition a little for pinch harmonics. The one down side of these is that since they're so fat and tapered, if they do get dropped, they can go flying.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Similar boat, got some Big Stubby 3.0s last week and have been really enjoying them. I do with the finger indentation went a tiny bit further down though. I still reposition a little for pinch harmonics. The one down side of these is that since they're so fat and tapered, if they do get dropped, they can go flying.
Nice, for some reason I have never really gone too deep into the extra-ridgid pick realm. The Stubby's are awesome, also the Jazz III Ultex is effing crispy as hell. Its almost like I'm playing through an acoustic sim.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Dunlop Flow picks are now awailable in 0.73 - 3.00mm thickness. I'm really tempted to try 1.0mm ones.

venndi

Reaction score
Planet waves/daddario Black ice 1,5mm

Its a bigger than the dunlop jazz III pick, for me it has the perfect size, and its very durable.

')